Parts

Maximillian

Reaction score
Hi again,

How about what a lot of E9s probably need: front fenders and fender attachment parts, rockers and any other body panels or sheet metal parts ?

Thanks
Max

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
Hi again,

How about what a lot of E9s probably need: front fenders and fender attachment parts, rockers and any other body panels or sheet metal parts ?

Thanks
Max

Hi Max, firstly, thanks for your efforts /initiative which is greatly appreciated. Fenders seem to be a common theme whereas rockers and patch panels generally can be sourced from Walloths et al. I suspect rear guards would be a welcome addition too . Not sure if trunk/boot lid panels are available but maybe throw that into the mix as well . All the best, Simon

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would like to see a good replacement for the torsion bar device that holds up the hood.
When they fail it is often difficult to fix or find a replacement.
1655998115504.jpeg

Java Man

Site Donor $
Reaction score
FYI -- Here's a photo of the torsion bar in my coupe a couple months ago. I deleted it in favor of a CSL-style prop rod set up. I was having problems with hood alignment & this transition worked pretty well to straighten things up.
TB4.jpg

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
The hood mechanism failures are due to a few different reasons, so it doesn't mean that you should replace the whole assembly if it doesn't work properly. Getting it functional again can perhaps also be fixed by replacing only the failed subcomponent. For anyone considering making parts, perhaps half of the problems can be solved with a fresh single part only.

First problem is associated with the welds breaking between the (thin!) tube and it's left and right half arm parts. This is easily fixed with a fresh weld, or better: with a new steel tube with it a bit thicker wall section. If you choose something a bit thicker, it isn't hard to weld in. But yes, for someone looking for a solution without welding it would be good if the tube+2 arms could be made available.
pic of failed part from @Stevehose from this thread: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/hood-support.23738/post-175119:

1656582381454.png
welded up:
1656582441985.png

secondly, the small L-brackets used on E9 are flimsy and under-designed. ( E3 is different; stop is integrated). As a result the 'finger' often bend out. Some members have made them themselves in a thicker steel. This could be an easy laser cut upgrade part.
1656581156474.png
replacement:
1656589864611.png

Link to thread on replacement parts: https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/hood-torsion-bar-repair.34893/post-326659

another failure is this soft metal part that locks one spring end; it deforms for some reasons. Good example of the deformation is shown in the pics of a 2002 part, as documented by @dang on the 2002 forum. The e3/9 part fails in a similar manner.
-e3 part failed vs almost identical fresh 02 part (thanks Dang for that all important attention to details)
1656581929186.png
E3/E9 parts:
1656582312714.png

Last edited:

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
A correction.. the spring ends shown above are E3 (failed, white) and replacement 2002 (good, red). If you look closely you'll see that they're not the same but very close. I used two 2002 end caps when I fixed my E3.

MTYPE

Reaction score
FYI -- Here's a photo of the torsion bar in my coupe a couple months ago. I deleted it in favor of a CSL-style prop rod set up. I was having problems with hood alignment & this transition worked pretty well to straighten things up.View attachment 143351

I've got a torsion bar for sale if you need. It's in excellent shape - see attached photos. Asking $200 + shipping.View attachment 143348View attachment 143349View attachment 143350
Hi, still have it?