Pop Top Car Recommendations Wanted

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
What kind of driving do you want to do? what kind of work do you want to do?
Theres a big difference between a a Datsun roadster and E63

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
W124
This is my old car. Now for sale again. The miles are genuine. First owner was an older woman in Tampa who drove the car about 1000 miles a year for 20 years. I sold it to the seller for 19.5k, so he would take 21 I bet. Super comfy, super solid, wiring harness was done at some point. Seats are amazing. Top always worked fine for me. Has a little oil ooze from O ring on the head gasket that fails on all of these. Parts are expensive on these. Not sporting like an e46 M3. But the ride is sublime.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like the BBS wheels.

How is the beltline on the e46? One of the things I hate about my wifes E class is the fact that you can't rest your left arm on the door while you drive. That problem would be even worse in a convertible. Can you do this while driving an e46?
I have an E46 Wagon and it is great for hanging your arm out of. I am with you, that is very important to me.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
W124
This is my old car. Now for sale again. The miles are genuine. First owner was an older woman in Tampa who drove the car about 1000 miles a year for 20 years. I sold it to the seller for 19.5k, so he would take 21 I bet. Super comfy, super solid, wiring harness was done at some point. Seats are amazing. Top always worked fine for me. Has a little oil ooze from O ring on the head gasket that fails on all of these. Parts are expensive on these. Not sporting like an e46 M3. But the ride is sublime.
My Brother had the Coupe version of your Mercedes for a very long time. He had a bit of a collection going with some brand new pricey cars in the mix, but this was his favourite. It eventually got a little rusty (Quebec will do that) and developed some electrical issues. I found that car amazing on the highway in terms of steering and comfort. Last car Mercedes built where the engineers called the shots IMHO. Great choice if the OP wants a high quality relaxing cruiser.

Last edited:

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I echo the E36/E46 convertible route, but I would also recommend taking a look at a 996 convertible. They're incredibly cheap and people often overlook the 996 because of the "fried egg" headlights (even though every other angle is the same as other 911s. They are a steal right now, and will definitely hold value if not increase in the coming years, and boy are they fun to drive.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the best water cooled 911 is the 997 ... better in everyway than the 996, and doesn't have the intermediate bearing problem that the 996 can have. only consider a 996 is the intermediate bearing has been changed. same with the 986 boxster. if this goes, there is a major rebuild cost ahead. the 997c1 (2005 thru 2008) is a very good buy as well. the c2 (2009 thru early 2012) can be 30k to 40k. with any P cars, the ones with all the cool options are more expensive.

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
the best water cooled 911 is the 997 ... better in everyway than the 996, and doesn't have the intermediate bearing problem that the 996 can have. only consider a 996 is the intermediate bearing has been changed. same with the 986 boxster. if this goes, there is a major rebuild cost ahead. the 997c1 (2005 thru 2008) is a very good buy as well. the c2 (2009 thru early 2012) can be 30k to 40k. with any P cars, the ones with all the cool options are more expensive.
Yes, 100% on the IB replacement-- I mistakenly take for granted that this is usually a given for those in the "know", and that caveat is essential. The assumption would be that this has already been performed on any worthwhile candidate, and still even more affordable than the 997 (even though I do love those 997s so much).

For 997s and newer, or 993s and older: in the words of Ferris Bueller, "If you have the means, I highly recommend it."

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
What kind of driving do you want to do? what kind of work do you want to do?
Theres a big difference between a a Datsun roadster and E63

The convertible would primarily be used for joy rides in fall/spring weather. I've restored my coupe and do the repairs on both my coupe and my e39 sedan, so I'll do maintenance and repairs. That said I don't want to take on a restoration.

The Datsun 2000/1600 discussion was just a diversion. I wouldn't consider one of those. Too unique and too small.

I also don't want a car that is too computerized. One of the things that scares the heck out of my on the Range Rover is the computerization - when I plug in the code reader, I read 32 separate systems. Last month the transmission went into some sort of "simplified" shifting mode, and when I read the codes I had 22 error codes. Transmission, wheel speed, steering angle sensor errors and a handful of received incorrect data messages. I started researching the codes, one by one, when suddenly it hit me - battery voltage. Sure enough - 7.69 volts. Of course, all the fancy computers didn't tell me my battery was dying.

So while computerized engine management is fine, I would prefer a car with more electrical circuits than computerization. The e46 is about the newest BMW I would consider.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
what about a late 90's / early 00's jaguar xk - especially the xkr. a little big, but seem to be decent cars

tmh

Reaction score
The Z4 hardtop convertible from a couple years ago fixed the styling issues I did not like in the soft top earlier Z4's, to the point of being transformationly good looking. The hard top convertible will also be a much quieter car with the top up at interstate speeds. The Z4M S54 cars (06-08) will be hard to beat as to an amazing engine and good handling. The 2001-2002 S-54 Z3 would also be a really fun car to toss around.

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
I've always had a volvo daily. the C70 are worth looking at. Saab convertibles are easy to work on, kinda hard to find any for sale though.
If youre just looking for a weekender, maybe look at importing something weird. Europe has some great 70s-80s convertibles that we didn't get.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
You could always do a Camry Solara! A Good friend who sacrificed till retirement with long lasting and high mileage and Rusty Corrollas wanted one for when he retired last year. Instead he ended up with a Used VW Tiguan and blew up the motor by not listening to detonation for a few thousand miles.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
uuggghhh ... i could think of many cars before i got to a solara.

for grins, i went on to autotrader and did a search for convertibles from 1990 to 2005 - here are some cars that came up\

several corvettes in the 15 to 20k range
a few bmw's with very high mileage - but cheap
a few audi TT w/ 55k mi for under 9k
a porsche 968 w/ 45k for around 23k
a few lexus sc430 -
a few slk mercedes
a few SL mercedes
some jag xk's (cheap)
a few mini cooper S

see anything fun to drive?

TravL350

Site Donor
Reaction score

for grins, i went on to autotrader and did a search for convertibles from 1990 to 2005 - here are some cars that came up\

a few lexus sc430 -
a few slk mercedes
a few SL mercedes
some jag xk's (cheap)
a few mini cooper S

Love the 968...that’s a great idea

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score

a few lexus sc430 -
a few slk mercedes
a few SL mercedes
some jag xk's (cheap)
a few mini cooper S

Actually before he got into Corollas he had a K car convertible for quite a while. I think it had wood panelling on the side. It is getting vague now, but he might have also had a Renault Alliance convertible. He has always been attracted to the low end of the car pool. He should have stuck with his winning Toyota Dream.

I hear these Lotus's are Nice too

Last edited:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Find a well cared for MB SL55 AMG and go for a drive. The 'hard' top' makes for a full year round usage and in 15 seconds, it does it's contortionist disappearing act into the trunk. The supercharger on that engine and the hydraulic suspension that reacts in 0.1 of a second makes them a superb car. And, with the mechanical capability you have, maintaining them is NOT a headache. Had mine for 6 years and nearly 20K miles. Did a good bit of preventive maintenance when i bought it, and except for an 'instant death' electric fuel pump there has not been a single problem with the car. Corners as flat as a go cart. When the engine vacuum activates the supercharger, it knocks your head back!! Because very few buyers can do their own maintenance, the selling prices are quite low, making a good one a real bargain.

Good luck with the search

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Gary. while the sl55 amg is an excellent car, it does fall into the category of being very 'computerized' ... something that Chris was seeking to avoid. that was one of the things that had me thinking of the early to late 90's cars up to the early 00's like the jag xk / xkr or the porsche 944 s2 or 968, cars that are more than basic transportation, but not as complicated electronically as the 2000+ 911 (996 / 997) or the AMG.

Last edited: