Prices of 72 csl

barely03

Reaction score
I also found these cars for sale
https://www.google.ca/search?q=ufo+...AGXnoCgAQ&ved=0CD0QsAQ&biw=1153&bih=612&dpr=1

These are GP2 cars. Two are original CLSs. They have full roll cage, etc but one has been fully restored to original. Other than the paint scheme, they look pretty awesome.

Any idea what they would be worth? I'm not sure they could even be imported as they have been modified.
I have some better pictures that were sent to me but it was buy email and I'm not sure how to get them onto the internet for viewing.

Barely03

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Are they for sale? The link provided just shows a bunch of images. If they are for sale, I would say over 100k. More if they are actual vintage rAce cars with history, as opposed to latter day race car conversions.

Last edited:

barely03

Reaction score
Yes I did, thanks. I was hoping to get more specifics (color, etc) to give me a better idea if these cars are original or not.

Barely03

Nash

Reaction score
CSL Race or street, buy or just advise ?

Hi Barley03,

While I have seen the 'images" you showed a link to, I can only guess about the cars you are talking about. I certainly don't want to guess and or speculate about anybodies car in a public forum, that would be extremely unfair

That said and I hope you dont mind me asking, but are you looking for a CSL to buy, is it a race car or a street car you are looking for or are you simply sharing information you find out about with the forum?

I only ask because we all follow E9s but many especially people like me folow CSLs with a certain vigor and there will no doubt be plenty of others who can share and would be happy to help you in your quest.

Trying to buy a RHD street CSL and convert it to a LHD or a fully converted Group 2 race car and take it back to a street CSL, seems counter to any economic sense I can think of.

But its your money and only my opinion.

barely03

Reaction score
Hi Nash

First, I want to apologize to the owner of the site that I posted without his permission. As I am new to "posting" on this forum, I did not know the proper protocol and will not do that again.

As far watching this forum, the first time I encountered it was shortly after I had tried to buy that infamous Inca CSL on EBAY several years ago. Unfortunately, I came across this forum shortly after I had paid my money. Had I known of this forum before that, I would have saved several thousand dollars.

Ever since then, I have been watching for a CSL, but have not been able to afford one. My finances have recently changed and now I can seriously look for a CSL. I have previously owned a 74 2002 and a 75 635 CSI, both of which I enjoyed greatly.

As you know, CSL's are rarely for sale and when I did a web search, several have been for sale in the UK. Some have been for sale for a while and the owners have been willing to deal to sell them. Canada has lots of right hand Japanese cars, so having a RHD doesn't pose a problem. I actually have a 68 Lotus Super 7 RHD that I have been restoring and actually raced a friend's Lotus 7 for a couple of years.

Anyway, yes, I am seriously in the market for a street model CSL and would prefer a LHD if I could find the right price range (which seems to be increasing rapidly). I'm not that interested in a Batmobile as they are getting way too expensive.

My thoughts were that if I didn't find the car I wanted over here, I could at least get one from the UK and be able to enjoy it till I can find the car I really want (preferably an Inca orange one). So far, the prices in the UK range from $50,000C for a stock CSL to $115,587C for one in mint condition.
In Canada, all cars over 25years of age are duty free, I just have to pay the Goods and Service Tax (GST) @5% and shipping (@$5000C for container shipment).

If you could help me out finding a car, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Barely03

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Barely

If I may be an a**h*le for saying it, but it would be nice to know who you are.
I realize that anonymity is a good thing on the internet, but it also gives others a sense that you're hiding something.

For me, it greatly decreases any motivation to engage.

IMHO:
There are always LHD CSL's available in various conditions available on the market (includes private sales). All you need is to understand the reality of the market (have $110k cash ready to spend), and then contact key BMW restoration shops and clubs. If you can convince shops and clubs that you're real and serious .... I think you'll find a number of cars shortly. Be prepared to spend money (get on a plane to see a car, and/or pay professional shops to inspect candidate cars).

John

barely03

Reaction score

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
UK cars

I've seen some of the RHD CSLs sold in the UK and generally my concern would the the combination of a wet climate and rust prone cars. Nevertheless, UK prices for RHD cars are lower than similar condition LHD CSL's here in North America (IMHO).

And, I'd say UK dealer pricing generally allows for 15% to 20% discount of asking price after healthy negotiation (that's what I've been able to achieve, YMMV).

If you are investing I'd say away from RHD CSLs because the market for them in so much smaller yet the supply is about the same.

What restoration shops and classic car dealers have you contacted so far?

John

barely03

Reaction score
I haven't contacted any restoration shops as I don't plan on buying anything that needs a major resto. I have rebuilt a Super 7, frame up and as I am now retired, have lots of time to work on one, just snot a huge budget. I've been through all 26 pages on the Google web search site and have sent many requests for info. As to date, I have found nothing for sale in America that falls into my requirement. Do you have any suggestions?

Barry

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why talk to resto shops ...

I haven't contacted any restoration shops as I don't plan on buying anything that needs a major resto.
Barry

The point is, these shops are likely to know people who own CSLs and might be interested in selling them. If you want to buy a race car, you don't wait for them to show up in the back of victory lane magazine. You call the big race prep shops and ask then which car owners have lost interest....or you go to the track and get to know owners and operators.

If i were you Id plan on attending the Vintage at Saratoga, and other major E9 gatherings. People will help you keep an eye out for the right car, plus, you'll get a free education from current owners.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Barry, Jon's advice is all on the mark.
If you are looking, send out feelers to coupeking.com, coupeguy.com, The Werk Shop (Don Detlefsen), Carl Nelson (La Jolla Independent BMW), and Ron Perry (RonP on this site). They know where the CSLs are.
Good luck,
Scott

The point is, these shops are likely to know people who own CSLs and might be interested in selling them. If you want to buy a race car, you don't wait for them to show up in the back of victory lane magazine. You call the big race prep shops and ask then which car owners have lost interest....or you go to the track and get to know owners and operators.

If i were you Id plan on attending the Vintage at Saratoga, and other major E9 gatherings. People will help you keep an eye out for the right car, plus, you'll get a free education from current owners.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
CSL Pricing reference

Some auction results from recent times.

The one that no saled for 90k later went for 105k. From corsachili on this forum.

The 63k car is known to be rusty.

Lorenzo from this forum sold a very nice original early carbed CSL for around 100k a few years ago at auction in Europe. In hindsight, a big bargain.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/4960.html