Raven gets a new nest

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, great progress Stephen. I know it is stressful having tradespeople on site to do what they imagine is their job that day, but so much gets lost in translation from initial plans, discussion with contractor, instructions to crew, and then who is actually on the job that day. I find whenever I have a project I must almost be a part of the team that is working that day, and watch everything! BTW, enjoyed your mention of "bollard". Last time I heard that was a few weeks ago in an F1 race where, I think it was Lewis Hamilton, had passed a critical bollard, and turned into the pits, in a most "illegal" fashion apparently, which was deemed an infraction, leading to a penalty. Bollard. Could be a great password! :)

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can also see the fascia work is nearly complete on the main roof, and the half-round gutters are installed (albeit a little wonky). I'll need to get up there and tweak their position a bit... The half-rounds were an indulgence on my part. They are terribly more expensive than standard "K" gutters - which I can' stand. I'd put the half-rounds on the house and wanted to carry that detail through on the garage. I just learned that the custom colored, prefinished siding will not be delivered until November 5. The things I choose to upgrade...
View attachment 79209
In fact, the whole garage project is horribly over budget already. :oops: My own fault, as I keep adding scope. But I think we're settling down now (finally?).

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ah yes, but surely you know Stephen, that most contractors really make their money on 'changes'. Doesn't seem to matter whether it is residential construction or airplane engine components (where I had a bit of experience)! The 'design' never really gets all the minutiae right!

LOOKING VERY GOOD. You are going to be so happy with this.

Gary

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh boy - big update today, and directly related to the mayhem alluded to above. Yesterday the concrete crew was there prepping for the interior slab. I'd communicated both in drawings and in conversations what we're after, specifically noting some of the requirements for the 2-post lift. The control joints can't be within 2' of the posts, and I'd laid out the joint pattern thusly. However, the GC told me they weren't pouring yesterday so I could communicate the joint layout this morning. Because of that, I didn't leave the office to check on the progress yesterday. Please note that I'd already agreed to a few thousand dollar increase to cover the work associated with laying out the rigid insulation, reinforcing, and some other details that I hadn't initially discussed with the team. I am happy to pay for the scope I add.

Well, when I got home last night I immediately saw that "something" was lost in translation. There was a curb formed up right where one of the lift posts will go. This condition would have left the shop overhead door at a different elevation than the other doors - not to mention something for us to trip over every day. I called the GC, he called the sub - as of last night they were going to walk off the job. WTF? :(

This morning I wrangled everyone on site and we discussed the situation. Carefully navigating feelings and pride, I explained that regardless of how they got there, this isn't right. They agreed to stay, and are busting hump all day so the 3pm concrete pour can remain as scheduled. They need to pull up much of the rigid insulation and reinforcing, scrape out several inches of gravel, re-compact it, and re-set the insulation and reinforcing. I offered to buy lunch. In fact, I expressly asked "what can I do to help with this?". No response. Then I turned to the GC and asked: "would it be better if I stayed there all day and pretended to help, or leave (I was supposed to be in a meeting 2-hours away today)." He said it'd be better if I weren't there. That's when I said I'd at least bring in lunch... And I sent someone else to the meeting as I want to be close by.

Honestly, the world we live in is where we have to spoon feed the trades so they will stay on your project. While I think absolutely everything about this is wrong, I am glad the work is getting corrected and done. Well, maybe I should wait until tonight to confirm that. :oops: More later.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Quick update - I stopped at home a few times yesterday. Rather, I ran into the office a few times, and worked from home most of the day - although I tried to limit my presence out in the garage to as little as possible. By 10am they were almost finished re-grading the gravel base course - it was looking good. At noon I brought the crew $74 worth of pizza and beverages. I think this bought us at least $95 or $100 worth of value. ;) The concrete trucks arrived at about 3:30. It was a little cooler in the afternoon and evening, and the crew didn't order any special admixtures for the concrete to accelerate its setup. I am happy for this, as a slow cure typically results in a better result. But the crew was there until about 9:30pm smoothing out the slab. This morning, I have to say it looks REALLY good. They only poured half of the slab - they told me they can't do it all at once because their crew is too small. The second half is scheduled to pour at 2pm today. If the rest of it looks as good as the first pour, it will be a very good weekend!
20191025-north slab.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Quick update - I stopped at home a few times yesterday. Rather, I ran into the office a few times, and worked from home most of the day - although I tried to limit my presence out in the garage to as little as possible. By 10am they were almost finished re-grading the gravel base course - it was looking good. At noon I brought the crew $74 worth of pizza and beverages. I think this bought us at least $95 or $100 worth of value. ;) The concrete trucks arrived at about 3:30. It was a little cooler in the afternoon and evening, and the crew didn't order any special admixtures for the concrete to accelerate its setup. I am happy for this, as a slow cure typically results in a better result. But the crew was there until about 9:30pm smoothing out the slab. This morning, I have to say it looks REALLY good. They only poured half of the slab - they told me they can't do it all at once because their crew is too small. The second half is scheduled to pour at 2pm today. If the rest of it looks as good as the first pour, it will be a very good weekend!
View attachment 79390
I would love your floor on my slab and grade first floor. The slab is covered with French Quarry Tile. But that is so 70s, when the house was built.

What a difference 45 years makes. We had an architect, a builder with a three person crew, and an acre and half of woods. Stick built house, I was there almost every day.
If the builder had a problem he talked to the architect then called me. Problem solved.

When it was over the builder said we had to settle up. He arrived one Saturday morning and we gathered around the dining room table. He shuffled some papers and announced, "you have a credit, I am having a new washer dryer delivered next week." His wife was redoing their kitchen at the same time, and they gave us their "old" refrigerator. We remained friends, his daughter baby sat for us.

Is this the same planet?

Steve

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
someone mentioned skylights, I am sure you are familiar with solar tubes or whatever they are called
I didn't think much of the idea until I saw them in a friend's house, they work quite well

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
someone mentioned skylights, I am sure you are familiar with solar tubes or whatever they are called
I didn't think much of the idea until I saw them in a friend's house, they work quite well
You all like to spend my money, don't you. ;) Yes, very familiar with Solatubes. But wait until you see the light fixtures I sourced... :cool:

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen,

LOOKING GOOD.

I'm sure this is obvious, but at the risk of TMI, be sure you don't put a light fixture above the place where the hood will be raised on the car (great on the sides/front of that area, however). Also, don't put any fixtures above the area where the top of the car(s) will be when on the hoist. Without the risk of hitting fixtures, you can raise the vehicles higher. These were a couple of things I did get right!!

Gary

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stephen,

LOOKING GOOD.

I'm sure this is obvious, but at the risk of TMI, be sure you don't put a light fixture above the place where the hood will be raised on the car (great on the sides/front of that area, however). Also, don't put any fixtures above the area where the top of the car(s) will be when on the hoist. Without the risk of hitting fixtures, you can raise the vehicles higher. These were a couple of things I did get right!!

Gary
Hi Gary, THANKS!

And very good advice on the lighting. As I've hinted, I picked up some really cool vintage industrial lights. I initially had a layout in mind, but when I drew up a lighting plan I discovered some of the conflicts you note. So I revised the layout according (which required getting a few more of the cool vintage lights). End result is nothing in the way of the lift.

We are reusing our old two garage doors on the first two openings. The new 3rd door will match aesthetically, but we'll use a high bay track so the door hugs the ceiling. The lift is further back so the door isn't in the area above the lift anyway. But just in case I lift something longer, we should be clear.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rough day today in Wisconsin. It is wise to expect the unexpected when it comes to weather in the Midwest, but this is a bit too early. Trick rather than treat. The good news is that I changed tires on my DD to Michelin Alpins yesterday. I was made fun of because it was too early in the year, but today proved that I was just in time!
20191031-snowy halloween.jpg

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just caught up reading this project, & I’m excited for you. Insane what it takes to get contractors to competently complete a garage. I used to enjoy playing barstool architect and planning projects, but I missed so much work having to babysit contractors the last 2, it effectively became an additional cost multiplier. I’ve been putting off diving into a new house b/c of the time & aggravation.

Rant: Same w healthcare—you’ve got to become a freaking doctor to get anyone to focus on anything that’s not in their assembly line. I think everyone wants so badly to find scalable easy business models for everything that we’re getting dumber. The least common denominator has become the ideal because it’s freaking “scalable.” I walked out of a meeting when one of my partners started taking about identifying internal & external stakeholders in scalable legal services. If he’d said “utilize” or “impactful” I’d have punched him. Rant off.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rant received.

What I did not mention above is that, after a few meetings in the morning, I spent the day yesterday putting my carpenter hat on. The crew is insulating today, and I needed to add some blocking in the walls for things that will be attached later. While doing so, I discovered that they'd installed other blocking incorrectly - so I fixed that. Then I noticed that there were more than a few locations where the exterior sheathing (plywood) wasn't nailed to the studs! There were rows of nails that "missed' the studs and I could push on the walls to a gain of a good 1/4" of flex. Honestly, I don't know how any of our projects get built - we don't typically spend this kind of time inspecting every nail. I am a little angry that I "had to" fix these things myself. Yet, I am honestly pleased that I am building the garage - hands on - in many respects. So I have that. The day concluded with a chat with the builder about some "extras" that the concrete guys want to charge. Fortunately, I have photos and records of everything they are claiming and can push back significantly on these items. But unfortunately, this type of friction on my small time builder probably causes a lot of stress on their business - and I don't want that to be reflected on the remainder of this garage build.

We've talked about building our own projects - creating a construction division. While I love that idea, I am sure it would have more headaches than I am interested in.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rant received.

What I did not mention above is that, after a few meetings in the morning, I spent the day yesterday putting my carpenter hat on. The crew is insulating today, and I needed to add some blocking in the walls for things that will be attached later. While doing so, I discovered that they'd installed other blocking incorrectly - so I fixed that. Then I noticed that there were more than a few locations where the exterior sheathing (plywood) wasn't nailed to the studs! There were rows of nails that "missed' the studs and I could push on the walls to a gain of a good 1/4" of flex. Honestly, I don't know how any of our projects get built - we don't typically spend this kind of time inspecting every nail. I am a little angry that I "had to" fix these things myself. Yet, I am honestly pleased that I am building the garage - hands on - in many respects. So I have that. The day concluded with a chat with the builder about some "extras" that the concrete guys want to charge. Fortunately, I have photos and records of everything they are claiming and can push back significantly on these items. But unfortunately, this type of friction on my small time builder probably causes a lot of stress on their business - and I don't want that to be reflected on the remainder of this garage build.

We've talked about building our own projects - creating a construction division. While I love that idea, I am sure it would have more headaches than I am interested in.
Create a construction division. Migraine time. Step away from that idea and delete.