Raven gets a new nest

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Do you have any pics from other angles?
I come home absolutely elated each day to see the progress on the garage. This is after meeting with the crew each morning, and yesterday coming home early to layout the electric and lighting for the electrician (what am I paying them for?). So it tickles me to learn that anyone else is interested in seeing what's going on behind the house. :D Here goes:

Here's the static view from our kitchen window.
20191009-today.jpg

And a slightly different view from the alley.
20191009-alley view.jpg

Church of garage!
20191009-church.jpg

And my favorite - the new shop.
20191009-shop.jpg

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh man! That looks HUGE! No wonder you needed a variance on your permit. This is going to be awesome.
Quick question: In the view from the alley, the leftmost door looks too small for a car. Is this a two or three car garage?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Quick question: In the view from the alley, the leftmost door looks too small for a car. Is this a two or three car garage?
In an effort (I believe) to limit access to the inside, the builders have not trimmed the insulated sheathing back at the overhead doors yet. If you look down to the concrete foundation, you can probably make out the actual width of all three doors. But right now the plywood is flapping in the breeze.

It depends on how you calculate it, but it is either a large 3.5-car garage or a small 4-car garage. We'll have two "regular" spaces for our DDs, plus space behind them for the lawn mower, snow blower, rakes, etc. Then I'll have a 2-post lift bay, and about 8 or 10 more feet to place workbenches, welding tables, compressor, cabinets, etc. To borrow a line from @thehackmechanic , there will be no barcaloungers in there. But I admit it is pretty generous on space otherwise. Should have about a 10'-8" ceiling height.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I didn't see this discussed earlier but is there a reason you didn't put in skylights? Cost? Don't really care about them?

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
This is so cool. I built my garage into a hill and was constrained by the set offs on the side, and the size and expense it would have taken to support the structure on the slop in the back. I so wish I had the room to go bigger.

I don't see a sidewalk from the back of the house to the garage and it appears that the garage doors are your only ingress and egress. Is that right?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I didn't see this discussed earlier but is there a reason you didn't put in skylights? Cost? Don't really care about them?
Skylights would be nice. It's not that I don't care about them. The garage will have a flat ceilgin, and the "attic" above will be ventilated/cold. We'd have to frame out insulated shafts to bring the light down. In this climate, those shafts get cold and water condenses on the skylights. Not a problem typically, as the skylight assemblies have built-in "gutters" that manage this condensate. But I don't know exactly how warm I'll be keeping the detached garage, so I couldn't make the cost benefit analysis work in my head. I'd like to add a skylight or two in the house, though...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't see a sidewalk from the back of the house to the garage and it appears that the garage doors are your only ingress and egress. Is that right?
We have been walking through the grass to the old garage for the five years we've lived here. It is not great, especially when my wife shovels a path in the snow down to the grass. But we'll be putting in a proper concrete walk up to the back (right side in the photos) of the garage where a service door is located. I have already built the craftsman style brackets for the shed roof over the door.

Here's some photos of the brackets I built for the service door roof - ready for paint. I only hope that my metalworking skills match my woodworking skills - I've been woodworking for longer than I've been hobby welding, including a period of time as a luthier.
20190818-roof brackets.jpg
20190818-joinery detail.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yeah, those brackets are okay. ;)
Dan, I will take some photos of my brick floor. Ignore the oil, etc stains. That's why I asked about painting.
Mark, would those metal panels work against 2x4 wall studs ascending over 10'? I really like the look and the price. We have two brothers who have their two person construction company. They can do anything and they do it right. Above and beyond. They are so good we gave a buddy who runs the oldest lumber yard in the country, Tinsman's Lumber, a bottle of wine for recommending them.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Big delivery day today. The reinforcing for the slab was delivered, as was the rigid insulation for under the slab. Even though I am not doing radiant heat in the slab, 2" of rigid will help to keep it comfortable.
20191011-rigid insul.jpg

In the 25 years I've been practicing architecture, I haven't specified asphalt shingles. But that's the budget range I have for this garage. At least I am glad we're getting the algae resistant shingles. ;)
20191011-algae resistant.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dan, I will take some photos of my brick floor. Ignore the oil, etc stains. That's why I asked about painting.
Mark, would those metal panels work against 2x4 wall studs ascending over 10'? I really like the look and the price.

Hi Steve, corrugated steel comes in a fixed width and any desired length. It is made by passing a giant spool of flat sheet metal of a fixed width through rollers to create the corrugation. I have purchased it in 10’ lengths for a roof of an outdoor project. You would do the same approach with the firing strips. It will go up faster than drywall. I would switch to plastic gang boxes with plastic switch plates just in case.

Also, you can buy it pre rusted form. In our case, the coupes will likely just cause it to rust due to proximity. :D

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Big delivery day today. The reinforcing for the slab was delivered, as was the rigid insulation for under the slab. Even though I am not doing radiant heat in the slab, 2" of rigid will help to keep it comfortable.

In the 25 years I've been practicing architecture, I haven't specified asphalt shingles. But that's the budget range I have for this garage. At least I am glad we're getting the algae resistant shingles. ;)

Looking great! You don’t want it attracting too much attention anyway. Is it strange that I’m excited to see more insulation and foundation pics?

Your woodworking skills are impressive! Metal is better because you can fix your mistakes. :D

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Metal is better because you can fix your mistakes.
I've been enjoying learning about the plastic nature of metal relative to metal shaping and forming. There is an example I saw where you can essentially think of metal almost like clay. Hammer it thinner and it stretches. Shrink it and it gets thicker. It is pretty amazing. I hope to get some good practice shaping metal in the new garage shop. The Raven is counting on it. ;)

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I've been enjoying learning about the plastic nature of metal relative to metal shaping and forming. There is an example I saw where you can essentially think of metal almost like clay. Hammer it thinner and it stretches. Shrink it and it gets thicker. It is pretty amazing. I hope to get some good practice shaping metal in the new garage shop. The Raven is counting on it. ;)
Thanks Mark, I will pursue it. Am I right, with metal I don't have to worry about sheetrock seams, tape, spackle? Sounds good to me.

Stephen, seems all is going according to plan. Why algae resistant shingles?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Why algae resistant shingles?
Hey Steve. Honestly, I don't know - but why not. :D I didn't know this was a shingle criteria - its just how they showed up. I am more enamored by the fact that the manufacturer seems to think it is important to write this on their packaging. Good thing I also ordered the "opacity resistant" glass on the windows.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Steve. Honestly, I don't know - but why not. :D I didn't know this was a shingle criteria - its just how they showed up. I am more enamored by the fact that the manufacturer seems to think it is important to write this on their packaging. Good thing I also ordered the "opacity resistant" glass on the windows.
When I was a copywriter working on Alcoa and PPG Industries and their ilk we would come up with a USP," Unique Selling Proposition". Some obscure but common-to-all our competitors' products about our product that we would grab and use first so no other product could use that point. My favorite: "Folger's Mountain Grown Coffee." Once they said it no one else could. But then, most coffee is mountain grown. This was a big deal before coffee became like French wine.

When I re-roof the potting shed which is adjacent to our small pond I will be sure to get the algae resistant shingles. But notice the word "resistant." So we will both have to be on guard for the dreaded algae.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
As long as I can keep it out of the inside of the garage, where the car is, I am happy. A little algae on the roof just gives it some patina.

It’s no joke, and I’m glad you went for the extra algea protection. My shingles didn’t have it, and then this happened:
DA202720-6BA6-4BE7-B0BE-745640EF8A5F.jpeg