Restoration/Prep of Luigi CSL

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
A couple more beauty shots from Jim's shop. The green looks much better there than it did in the booth:

102_1159.jpg

102_1160.jpg

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The reassembly of Luigi is coming along nicely. Jim and his shop have been on top of every aspect of the rebuild. They do such a great job! Here's some shots of what is going on presently:

102_1193.jpg

Here is the new fuel cell. The one that was in the car was a hill climb can, and didn't have enough capacity for circuit racing, so out it came. We decided to not plumb up to the inlets in the deck lid for now, but that may be changed later.

102_1195.jpg

Here's what's going on inside the fuel cell. The picture is taken looking down from the top of the can. There's is a catch tank that holds fuel under cornering and braking forces, a low pressure pump moves it from there into the black swirl pot which fills up and has a 10psi relief valve on top to provide a constant column of fuel available for the high pressure pump to draw off of so that air bubble free fuel goes up to the injection pump on the engine.

Jim Froula - inside of CSL fuel tank.jpg

Finally, the gauges are back from the rebuilder. The car had a stack panel that was installed during the rebuild of the early 90's. We wanted something more authentic, so we decided to replace the stack panel with a fiberglass dash and then re-install the proper gauges. Yes, I know they are 'P' gauges, but that was what they used back then:

102_1196.jpg

Last edited:

bdigel

Reaction score
You have turned out many fine cars and this one is fantastic, can't believe how quickly your guys have knocked this out !

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, BD.

Today marks exactly 90 days from the day Luigi arrived at SeaTac.

Progress is entirely due to Jim and crew @ Racecraft! They always over deliver, and the quality of the work is always the best.

I've enjoyed following your build as well. Well Done!! I look forward to seeing the finished car on-track. Do you have a paint scheme picked out yet?

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I made the round trip from home to Livermore, CA Friday and yesterday to pick up the engine from Terry Tinney. We left home at 6:00 AM and arrived at his shop at 5:00 PM. By 6:30 we had the engine off the dyno, crated, loaded, and were headed north again. We made it as far as Willows before we ran out of gas and stopped for the night. We arrived home at 3:30. I was going to take it up to Pacific Raceway today where SOVREN is holding their Spring Sprints, but will wait until tomorrow to drive up.

engine_1.jpg

engine_2.jpg

Terry reports 350 HP at 7,000, with right at 300 lbs/ft of torque at 4500. Very close to the output of the last engine he built for me.

wsk

Reaction score
Vintage Alpina slide throttle with Kugelfischer mechanical injection.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just returned from taking the engine up to Racecraft in Seattle, and my first chance to see/sit-in the car since it came back from paint.

WOW!

Photos don't do the paint colors justice due to the funky lighting in Jim's shop:

Luigi_5.jpg

The car looks utterly fantastic. The paint pops, and the decals are the icing on the cake.

Luigi_6.jpg

I had Jim put some paint dabs on a piece of aluminum so I could photograph it outside. Imagine the colors of the Italian flag:

Luigi Paint.jpg

Jim hopes to have the engine in the car by the end of the day. There is a lot of plumbing to hook up, so it won't be running until the end of the week.

One area we will not have time to address is the dash. The stack dash installed during the restoration from 1992 will have to remain through this season.

lafngrvy

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The car is back on its feet and running. Jim said if it had not been raining he could drive it up and down the street yesterday.

image.jpg

image 2.jpg

image 3.jpg

We leave for Sonoma Historics on Wednesday.

bdigel

Reaction score
Kudos to you Steve for another great car , and double Kudos to the shop for the amazing and quick work !

can't wait to hear how it runs,