S54 drop in, good, bad and ugly

JohnFBD

Reaction score
That escalated quickly...nice job on the purchase. :) As a heads up as well...replace the transmission detents while it is out of the car. Easy to do, but pulling it after the fact isn't so fun...I may know from experience.
Yep, a guy here in Oz had both so I grabbed them, thanks for the detents heads up I will do that!

Vern

Reaction score
A bored and stroked S38 block at 3.8 liters and a 282 Shrick cam with Megasquirt is quite nice. No slouch, at all. 125 MPH at 6000 RPM in roughly a quarter mile.

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Guys,

Tyler from The Arc Asylum and I designed an S54-to-E9 front subframe. It uses E30 suspension and steering pickup points. He should have the jig to make more, and he can also modify your oil pan. Does beautiful work.

JohnFBD

Reaction score
Guys,

Tyler from The Arc Asylum and I designed an S54-to-E9 front subframe. It uses E30 suspension and steering pickup points. He should have the jig to make more, and he can also modify your oil pan. Does beautiful work.
Thanks maxxfish, this is the area that will likely need most engineering, I have the added complication of a RHD. Do you have some more details you can send me directly (pics would be great)?

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
image.jpeg
This car was displayed at Legends of the Autobahn 2016. Is the the Joshua Stein car to which you were referring?

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm, RHD will be a challenge. But at least you won't have to worry about space for the airbox...

e30strube

Reaction score
Guys,

This makes the swap that much more tempting. I used his E30 swap setup and it worked well. Is there any difference between an E3 subframe and E9?

maxxfish

Site Donor
Reaction score
If possible, try to find an S54 from an SMG car. no chance it's been over-revved. You may want to swap out the intake for a 6-speed version, but they're cheap on ebay (SMG intake has a small built in oil reservoir that you won't need, and may have an inlet or two that need to be plugged). As for transmissions, go with an E36 M3 ZF 5-speed. Smaller, lighter, and way cheaper than the 6-speed from an E46 M3. And you really don't need the overdrive gear. Budget for preventative rod bearing replacement and vans seals. Try Epic Motorsports or Kassel Performance for wiring, tuning and EWS delete. Have fun!

JohnFBD

Reaction score
If possible, try to find an S54 from an SMG car. no chance it's been over-revved. You may want to swap out the intake for a 6-speed version, but they're cheap on ebay (SMG intake has a small built in oil reservoir that you won't need, and may have an inlet or two that need to be plugged). As for transmissions, go with an E36 M3 ZF 5-speed. Smaller, lighter, and way cheaper than the 6-speed from an E46 M3. And you really don't need the overdrive gear. Budget for preventative rod bearing replacement and vans seals. Try Epic Motorsports or Kassel Performance for wiring, tuning and EWS delete. Have fun!
Yep exactly, have the S54 from a SMG car plus the E36 5 speed, Kassel was also recommended by the guy I purchased the S54 from. Working on the subframe mods, thanks for the recommendation there btw!

lawdog1

Reaction score
Some really interesting comments here, I must admit one of the areas of concern was the DME and whether it can be messed with it to get rid of all that unwanted stuff, I shall take you up on that offer ;)

John, as you know I am down this path, albeit delayed. I would not worry about the DME. It's a super quick well documented flash to disable the CAS anti-theft for most modules, or you can leave the wiring intact and just hide the original key in the dash. $1k to do is a rip-off.

lawdog1

Reaction score
Definitely not wed to an S38, hence my post. The S54 with the E36 M3 5 speed sound like a great combo, any reason you wouldn't stick with the S54 6 speed?

The 6spd does not fit without heavily modifying the tunnel. I chose to leave the tunnel more or less in tact and went with a 5spd. At the end of the day you aren't going to track the car, and 6spd on most BMW transmissions is an overdrive anyway. I don't plan on regularly cruising down the highway at 80-90mph in a tin can with no airbags.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would be happy to offer, free of charge, a 3.3 litre from a 733 if you would like to go down that path. It is in pieces. Easy install, just needs E9 suitable sump & oil pump pick-up. I,m in Silverwater if interested.

KD
I would love to take that but I am in Los Angeles and you are to far.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For reference, I swapped a S54 into my E30 M3. The S54 is a cheaper, easier to modify and newer engine than the S38, so unless there is just a love for the S38, S54 is the way to go. You can bolt up an E36 M3 5 speed directly to the S54 and its lighter, no modification of any kind. For the DME, there are a number of places that will reflash it for 1k or less. The S54 itself is pretty pricey now as the swaps have gotten easier, but you can easily find a motor on Ebay even. Arc Asylum sells an oil pan that allows the S54 to fit an E30 that may also work on an E9. If you have any specific questions, send me a message.
Hello,
my question is, that I learn recently S54 sits on 20 degree angle and E9 engine sits on 30 degree angle How we should fix that I want to buy 2006 M3 and take everything I need from it and install the engine if it is possible please explain what I am getting in to and I am looking to spend 40K that 20K will do to labor that mechanic will charge and this was his idea I don't even know if it is possible please help me if I am going in to wrong direction and I love my E9 and I do not want to destroy me E9

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello,
my question is, that I learn recently S54 sits on 20 degree angle and E9 engine sits on 30 degree angle How we should fix that I want to buy 2006 M3 and take everything I need from it and install the engine if it is possible please explain what I am getting in to and I am looking to spend 40K that 20K will do to labor that mechanic will charge and this was his idea I don't even know if it is possible please help me if I am going in to wrong direction and I love my E9 and I do not want to destroy me E9

I wouldn’t go in to a project like this with $20K reserved for labor. The car needs a new subframe and new steering and front suspension, brakes. Trans tunnel work, custom driveshaft. Speedometer fix. I know nothing about this swap other than $20K labor doesn’t seem feasible.

It would be far easier to swap in an s38 with a factory harness. Personally wouldn’t do that either unless it was a low mileage motor.

What performance problem are you trying to solve?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn’t go in to a project like this with $20K reserved for labor. The car needs a new subframe and new steering and front suspension, brakes. Trans tunnel work, custom driveshaft. Speedometer fix. I know nothing about this swap other than $20K labor doesn’t seem feasible.

It would be far easier to swap in an s38 with a factory harness. Personally wouldn’t do that either unless it was a low mileage motor.

What performance problem are you trying to solve?
In So-Cal 20k will get you a written quote for 75k and some tire dressing...