selling my 73' CSL

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Who is this rude a****** chicane anyway? Prove it yourself, you have not done so, nor can I without cutting a CSL roof. Not likely to do that. Ask the experts in Germany, Werner Hand, Gerrit Blankman. I suspect chicane is dp again. How many monicers do you have on this board, dp? I am out of this pissing contest, say what you wish chicane/dp, I could care less. Piss away.

chicane

Reaction score
coupeguy said:
Who is this rude a****** chicane anyway?
Ditto brother. So, someone disagrees with you, and provides evidence to prove their point and they are an A-hole? I think the real A-holes are the ones who think they are right call someone an A-hole and don't even provide evedence to prove their point.

I also you are not in the business of selling parts or advice to owners of E9's because I wouldn't buy jack from someone who calls me an A-hole....

coupeguy said:
Prove it yourself, you have not done so, nor can I without cutting a CSL roof. Not likely to do that. Ask the experts in Germany, Werner Hand, Gerrit Blankman. I suspect chicane is dp again. How many monicers do you have on this board, dp? I am out of this pissing contest, say what you wish chicane/dp, I could care less. Piss away.

No you don't have to cut a roof up, I just showed you the OEM catalog. If you have other documentation to back up your claim that would suffice. Pushing up on a panel with your bare hands...doesn't count.

Also, Weakening dollar, look it up. You are not going to sell a CSL in the U.S for $100K, NO WAY.

MichaelP

Reaction score
Let's not turn this into a testosterone contest, ok boys? Please.

Chicane, BMW routinely substitutes parts that will work for parts that they're unwilling to mass produce. For instance, if you look up the exhaust manifold for 2002ti or 1600ti, the correct part is illustrated, but the p/n is for a run-of-the-mill manifold.

Regarding the CSL roof, I just went though BMW MT's material -- in their green coupe book and reproduced CSL brochure -- on the CSL and all of the usual lightening measures are listed, but the roof is not mentioned. On the other hand, I've heard enough CSL owners complain about their easily dented roofs that there may be something to it. Also, the word out there is that sunroofs are never found in CSLs because the roof skin isn't compatible with it. Or... it just may be that you wouldn't add the weight at the top of a car that had an "L" in it's name.

Anyway, Matt McGinn has a CSL in his shop at the moment that he's restoring. I'll ask him to have a look at it.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Michael not sure abut the whole body as in A post etc but as well as the roof the front wings and rear wings were made out of a lighter gauge steel.

Real oem does appreciate this part number difference.

chicane

Reaction score
MichaelP said:
Let's not turn this into a testosterone contest, ok boys? Please.

Chicane, BMW routinely substitutes parts that will work for parts that they're unwilling to mass produce. For instance, if you look up the exhaust manifold for 2002ti or 1600ti, the correct part is illustrated, but the p/n is for a run-of-the-mill manifold.

And when they do that they will always put part XYZ replaced with part ZXY 04/1981 - on.

MichaelP said:
Regarding the CSL roof, I just went though BMW MT's material -- in their green coupe book and reproduced CSL brochure -- on the CSL and all of the usual lightening measures are listed, but the roof is not mentioned. On the other hand, I've heard enough CSL owners complain about their easily dented roofs that there may be something to it. Also, the word out there is that sunroofs are never found in CSLs because the roof skin isn't compatible with it. Or... it just may be that you wouldn't add the weight at the top of a car that had an "L" in it's name.

Anyway, Matt McGinn has a CSL in his shop at the moment that he's restoring. I'll ask him to have a look at it.

My roof (non CSL) is easily dented. I set something on it one time (not that heavy and the whole roof looked like it was going to collapse. The fact that the no lightweight roof is mentioned in their material only reinforces my stand that it is the same roof on all production cars. The reason for no sunroofs is very simply to save weight. Again there is zero proof that the roof skins are different other than people's conjecture.

chicane

Reaction score
30csl said:
Michael not sure abut the whole body as in A post etc but as well as the roof the front wings and rear wings were made out of a lighter gauge steel.

Real oem does appreciate this part number difference.

RealOem is just an online copy of BMW's parts catalog. I have never heard of front or rear fenders on production cars being made out of lighter gauge steel as well.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Chicane- the rof panel, front and rear wings are of lighter gauge steel on the csl than the other cs coupes.

chicane

Reaction score
30csl said:
Chicane- the rof panel, front and rear wings are of lighter gauge steel on the csl than the other cs coupes.

Really. And what is your source for this info?

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
The four I own at present along with cs and csi coupes I have owned as well as the people I know who are the acknowledged experts such as Yannick Bernat.

It is an objective matter when you have seen the cars side by side and the difference is obvious in both the wings and roof panel.

Gerrit

Reaction score
Hello,
I was just made aware of the discussion about the CSL roof thickness, which of course unlike the CS/CSi was thinner, 0.7 versus 0,88mm and was listed as roof skin under part number 41 31 1 827 338 instead of 41 31 5 750 110 for the standard cars. The CSL P/N was deleted overtime. Also the CSLs were completely (not partially)assembled at the Karmann plant in Rheine (not at the main plant in Osnabrück). I hope this helps...
Gerrit

chicane

Reaction score
Gerrit said:
Hello,
I was just made aware of the discussion about the CSL roof thickness, which of course unlike the CS/CSi was thinner, 0.7 versus 0,88mm and was listed as roof skin under part number 41 31 1 827 338 instead of 41 31 5 750 110 for the standard cars. The CSL P/N was deleted overtime. Also the CSLs were completely (not partially)assembled at the Karmann plant in Rheine (not at the main plant in Osnabrück). I hope this helps...
Gerrit

Source please? I just put a micrometer on the fender skin and I got 0.78.

chicane

Reaction score
30csl said:
The four I own at present along with cs and csi coupes I have owned as well as the people I know who are the acknowledged experts such as Yannick Bernat.

It is an objective matter when you have seen the cars side by side and the difference is obvious in both the wings and roof panel.

You must have xray vision better than Superman if you can actually stare at two cars and tell what gauge steel the fenders are made of. If your friend above is correct and you have less than 2 tenths of a mm difference, and you can spot that by eye?

MichaelP

Reaction score
Gerrit said:
Hello,
Also the CSLs were completely (not partially)assembled at the Karmann plant in Rheine (not at the main plant in Osnabrück). I hope this helps...
Gerrit

Gerrit, is this information published somewhere? I'd like to read more -- as a general interest in this sort of thing. Thanks for helping to clear this up.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
'You must have xray vision better than Superman'

Comments like the above just prove to me that you are on here trying to wind people up. Well you are near succeeding with me and as such I shall leave you to it.

acat2002

Reaction score
Okay, cannot fight the urge to jump in and poke a little fun at the good ole-fashioned pissing contest this thread has turned into.

Lightheartedly, I add the following (see link)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9HX5Eou6U8

It's fun to have knowledge! This was among my favorite ESPN ad campaigns!

No offense to anyone, but a very smart man once stated "I know enough to know that I do not know everything".

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Interesting reading!

It is a well-known fact that CSL has a thinner roof. This is stated by BMW in their internal docs. During the 70s a lot of Car magazines tested the CSL and, as far as I remember, the roof issue was also mentioned in these mags. Gerrit is perfectly right with his facts.

Please also be informed that sunroof was not officially possible but some CSLs are anyway equipped with sunroof. At least three CSLs in the 2285 serie and one in the 2275 serie have got BMW sunroof. Due to MT, special orders (like early individual requests) cannot be excluded. The possibility to make your CSL to an "individual CSL" is also mentioned in the original E9 sales brochure.

Cheers

piezopaul

Reaction score
Folks-
The blood that is being spilled on this thread is proof of the high emotions that exclusive autos can tap into. On the block that translates into interest and desirability. People that want CSLs want them because they tap into racing history and mystique, and because they are unusual. That translates into increased value.- Paul