Show your...Steering wheel(s)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I sent it to Hans Wortelboer in the Netherlands. He sourced a missing horn button and had, I believe, a German craftsman re-wrap it. It was pretty rough when I bought it back in May from a friend in Oklahoma.

Ha! So much for my not sending a wheel overseas! I actually have a friend in Germany evaluating a local leather guy now. I was secretly hoping for a good option stateside. :)

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
A1A9D478-9B01-4FAC-8189-2B1E7ED61E3B.jpeg
I restored this last year not perfect but nice.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I particularly like the hula dancer. I have her on the dash of my lifted Jeep Cherokee, license plate "SNO KAT". The irony is that I only drive the SNO KAT in the winter, typically blazing through drifts of snow - all while my hula dancer bobs around with a smile on her face. :D

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
A win for me. I finally have a real Petri horn button. Also, I took the utility knife to my Petri 38, which is now at the chrome shop. I’m hoping that introducing more parts to chrome will help expedite the little pieces that I am waiting on. They chrome it then polish, then glass bead it to give it a matte finish. Hopping they don’t screw it up. :D

The 38 looks huge sans foam:
A098A2DD-3883-4607-9846-910217B88BA3.jpeg

675880C1-0FB4-4629-936A-A0C92273D42F.jpeg

D5A2F102-A51C-4E48-967A-A9D5C8429185.jpeg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
From the Vintage BMW Steering Wheel group on Facebook:

Rick Meinig It is from Jeremy Walton’s “BMW Ultimate Drives “ book published by Coterie Press ! My 327/8 steering wheel is the 2nd Wheel -Petri Banjo ! Contact Jeremy or William Taylor of Coterie Press ( Colorado ) on Facebook. If you don’t own that coffee table format book, you should ! The website has the $40 regulat and $ 150 slipcover editions for sale.
Manage

· Reply · 6w · Edited

Rick Meinig
I texted William to see if any posters remain...I’ll have to look in the book as it may have been included in the book
Manage

· Reply · 6w · Edited

Rick Meinig
Good news ! William at Coterie Press has them.

That's a great poster! Is it available anywhere?

RTHLSS1

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Is any of you guys running NK steering wheel in E9? Photos? Adapter needed?

NK.jpg

Thanks

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I feel kind of bad for the chrome shop. It is so beautiful in polished chrome but they need to redo it in matte.

6FEE8ED0-8605-4A36-964E-A99CE46173BA.jpeg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did you ask them for matte, but they did polished instead? It does look very nice.

Yes. They were very cool about it. I said I was in no rush and they could stick it at the bottom of the queue. He said “No no”, it will be done on Monday. Apparently they can’t glass bead it. They need to strip it and rechrome.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's just 2in1 option: steering wheel & make-up mirror:)

It obviously doesn’t look much different from your typical hot rod wheel in shiny chrome. The difference is that the chrome is stunning. I tried walking around to try to accurately photograph it but I gave up.

After leaving the chrome shop I have strong desire to drop my bumpers off. :D

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It obviously doesn’t look much different from your typical hot rod wheel in shiny chrome. The difference is that the chrome is stunning. I tried walking around to try to accurately photograph it but I gave up.

After leaving the chrome shop I have strong desire to drop my bumpers off. :D
I'll send mine (bumpers) right over. :D

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Is any of you guys running NK steering wheel in E9? Photos? Adapter needed?

View attachment 52903

Thanks

I do have that model of NK steering wheel, not mounted in a car. The person I bought it from included shims to give it clearance. The shorter shim is the same height as the hub is deep. The taller shim sticks up 3-4 mm above the hub.

IMG_8835.jpg
IMG_8837.jpg
IMG_8844.jpg
IMG_8845.jpg

lloyd

Reaction score
DQ posted some interesting images elsewhere on this forum. https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/tech-2018-ohne-words.29888/

Among them was this photo of a CSL mit a steering wheel that may be slightly different from those posted to this thread. This is probably a Momo Prototipo. The Momo and similar "Dino" are both of Italian origin, but have different screw configurations. The Momo as noted by Markos, the screws are at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions. On the "Dino," the screws are at 9:00 and 3:00 positions. And then, there is the similar "Dino" with a 5-screw configuration.

44f4a635-640e-4d16-91dc-b18ccfe62708-jpeg.53631

D3.JPG

P1000745.jpg

1972-ferrari-dino-246-gts-5_1600x0w.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Dino%20wheel.JPG

dino+and+raid+steering+wheels+0361429311634.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

tech-2018-ohne-words.29888

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
DQ posted some interesting images elsewhere on this forum. https://www.e9coupe.com/forum/threads/tech-2018-ohne-words.29888/

Among them was this photo of a CSL mit a steering wheel that may be slightly different from those posted to this thread. This is probably a 6 screw Momo Prototipo or could it be a similar "Dino" wheel. Both are apparently of Italian origin, but they are not the same. Note, the screw configurations. On one style, there is a screw at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions. On another the screws are at 9:00 and 3:00 positions. And then, there is the similar "Dino" in 5 screw configuration.

The wheel on the carb CSL is a bmw CSL offering for the original cars. It is a 380mm Alpina wheel made by momo. It “droopy” hub, akon to the Ferrari 308. They are as rare as hens teeth but multiple forum members have them as a collectible or on their carb CSL.

The Dino wheel is a factory momo wheel momo. It is based on a momo prototipo but has three wrapped spokes like a momo Sebring. “Dino” is also an inexpensive steering wheel company based on the nardi/raid bolt pattern. Momos have a 70mm bolt pattern with holes at 12pm and 6pm. Nardi/Personal/Raid are 74mm with holes at 3PM and 9pm.

Last edited:

lloyd

Reaction score
The wheel on the carb CSL is a bmw CSL offering for the original cars. It is a 380mm Alpina wheel made by momo. It “droopy” hub, akon to the Ferrari 308. They are as rare as hens teeth but multiple forum members have them as a collectible or on their carb CSL.

The Dino wheel is a factory momo wheel momo. It is based on a momo prototipo but has three wrapped spokes like a momo Sebring. “Dino” is also an inexpensive steering wheel company based on the nardi/raid bolt pattern. Momos have a 70mm bolt pattern with holes at 12pm and 6pm. Nardi/Personal/Raid are 74mm with holes at 3PM and 9pm.

Thanks for the clarification. Easy for the uninformed to confuse the Momo wheel originally fitted to the 246 Dino and the steering wheels bearing the Dino imprimatur. They were both made in Italy. :rolleyes:

Following your post, I zoomed in on DQ's photo to confirm that the hex screws are at the 12:00 and 6:00 positions. I also reviewed your pretty Prototipo images located earlier on this thread. Your restored Prototipo has two holes in the horizontal spokes and three holes in the vertical spoke. Although not immediately clear unless you lighten the CSL image, that wheel appears to have only two holes in each spoke. Does this indicate a different wheel style (droopy) or size? Is one more desirable than another?
4cdd92305b8ccaa3f63c8ab2c6df4f1f-jpg.37586

Last edited: