Site Donor
Reaction score
Good idea. Will do! Thanks!
thumb-up-terminator+pablo+M+R.jpg

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Blue Bosch Coils are for non contact breaking points systems (working with ignition module).
Your old ballast resister show that you have contact breaking point system, so you should look for part

I'll just not use my ballast resistor and use this blue one w/the internal resistor.

Reactions: dp

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bosch "Black" coil (original coil on our cars) used a .8 ohm ballast. "Blue" is internally resisited, no ballast needed. "Red" has hotter spark, requires 1.8 ohm ballast. Not unusual for ballast to be warm as it is exchanging heat for voltage reduction but not smokin' hot!

Wladek

Reaction score
Bosch "Black" coil (original coil on our cars) used a .8 ohm ballast. "Blue" is internally resisited, no ballast needed. "Red" has hotter spark, requires 1.8 ohm ballast. Not unusual for ballast to be warm as it is exchanging heat for voltage reduction but not smokin' hot!
Ok, i can even agree with this theory, but why all of manuals (i have & blue books) always shows ignition system without contacts with 2x resistors 0,4 & 0,6 ohm (for other cars resistance might be slightly different) as anyway they used different (blue) ignition coil?
2102_12_23-engine-timing-light-circuit-diagram.png
images.jpg
afb1.jpg
conectiontransitorized_zps99d38adb.jpg

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve is correct. Even through 1975 at least BMW used resistors (in the wire itself) on the 2002s, no blue coils were used, they came along later.

Wladek

Reaction score
Steve is correct. Even through 1975 at least BMW used resistors (in the wire itself) on the 2002s, no blue coils were used, they came along later.
Ok, it make sense. If you have contact breaker points - use coil with build-in resistor & you don't need any additional external.

But how then interpret the records in the blue book about non breaker points (with ignition module) - is additional double resistor needed if we use blue coil? In blue book photo there is external resistor together with "blue coil" (part number).
Document-page-001.jpg
Document-page-001 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No because the resistor is always matched to the value of the coil. So the output of the blue coil will always need the same resistance so they just built it into the coil for convenience.

So, i assume with every new Blue Bosch coil should be then information what type of resistor was used inside.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
But if the resistor can get smoking hot do you really want it inside the coil?

When it comes to coils resistance is futile.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Why does dp say no external ballast is needed??

Because it is not. But, if you want, you "can" go ahead and buy another ballast resistor,
and even install it, but if you do, it will weaken your spark, which you don't want.

It will also more than double the cost out of pocket for your fix, which I assume you also don't want...
if you ordered the blue coil from Amazon you should have it before the weekend. Git 'er done.

-30-