So, how do you really feel about rising coupe values?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Loved my E36 M3/4/5. I could see buying a mint VR6 Corrado as a classic you could daily. At this point I will probably just settle into reliable nice driving newish cars I can use as an appliance. I loved my time behind the wheel of an M235I

I could own a Corrado. I was pretty close to buying a G60 back in the day. I believe that @nosmonkey has a Corrado. It amazes me how cheap VW’s are. :)

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i just found out that i make more miles in my "new" daily ( 530d) getting parts for the E9 than with the E9 itself :D

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What's an E24? Seriously. I stopped keeping track in the mid-seventies with the demise of the e9 and e3 and what ever they called the 2002.
Anything after that, no thanks.

Ahem, E24: Big Coupe, great visibility like E9, M30 drivetrain (no coolant passage problems in the M30 block), actually has relays, fuses, and even electronics, no rust problems (after Karmann), comes alive at 80MPH, Hoffmeister kink, no plastic in engine or accessories, have US, Euro, and M versions/price points to pick from, owned by icons like Sean Connery, Emerson Fittipaldi, and me.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ahem, E24: Big Coupe, great visibility like E9, M30 drivetrain (no coolant passage problems in the M30 block), actually has relays, fuses, and even electronics, no rust problems (after Karmann), comes alive at 80MPH, Hoffmeister kink, no plastic in engine or accessories, have US, Euro, and M versions/price points to pick from, owned by icons like Sean Connery, Emerson Fittipaldi, and me.
...and room for a large spleen

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
47A8B648-99AB-4167-9D6F-1BD12E62B13A.jpeg
When Disney puts the movie out featuring our beloved coupes the prices will hit the roof. They are already buying coupes for filming I hear.
Anybody else reading the book?

jamesw

Reaction score
Sure you can buy a modern second hand sports coupe like a 997 or an M2/3/4 for the same price - but everyone has those. There are literally THOUSANDS of them on the road and anyone can buy one.

The thing I like about the coupe is that it is damn hard to buy one and even HARDER to buy a good one. If you take your coupe to a car show everyone is going to want to know about your car and how you've lovingly taken care of it. They don't give s shit about the 997 or M3 parked next to you.

And who cares what people think about your car, right? But what other people think about it is precisely what sets the value of you car.

Cheers
James

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If I could find a really nice E30 325ix, or better yet a touring, I would consider replacing my summer and winter drivers with that. I go through this debate every few weeks - free up a parking space, reduce quantity of vehicles on insurance, etc...

Bouliac

Site Donor
Reaction score
I could not purchase a coupe today, but fortunately I have one. I want to remain indifferent to the rising value. I'll never sell mine, so I don't care about how much its worth. I'll let my kids decide what to do with it in the estate plan -- as Rob Siegel said earlier this Spring, if I die, honey, don't sell it for less than 50 k. I refuse however to treat it differently now that it is closer to 50,000 than 17,000. I was thinking last night as I repainted the roundels on the trunk and hubcaps with testers model paint that some people on this forum would not find that appropriate for a car of this value. Folks, when you feel that you ought to spend a couple of c notes on emblems, or stop doing your own wrenching because your car is worth too much -- well that's when the fun ends for me.

Like O'Neills said above, I am concerned that these cars are priced out of reach of younger people. I confronted this myself two years ago when I realized that my air cooled Porsche jones was never to be satisfied -- the cars have simply slipped out of my financial reach. I decided to compromise , to find 85 % of the pleasure for 25% of the cost. I ended up with an '82 Alfa Spider, a lovely driver, with a truly smokin' engine. These are easily found in good condition for 8k. Another example is the E30 convertible : I found one with a euro m40 engine, bare bones, no AC, ABS, or ASC. It is a gorgeous car with the top down, and with a lighter 4 pot in the front, it handles beautifully with the appropriate suspension upgrade. The ragtops have escaped the inflation putting E30 coupes, especially the M42, into 5 figures, because boy racers and drifters don't want them.. The E24 sharks are another excellent example -- yes they are heavy, but they are classical designs, probably more striking and dramatic than the E nine, great highway touring machines, and there are a lot of them out there for 10,000.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I recently read an article saying that Classic Car price went up 186% in the last nine years. Personal when you figure involved in owning a classic I'm not sure if it's a good investment. Remember my friend's comment whenever I would ask him his opinion about selling one of my Vettes. He would say " Can you drive or wash and wax your bank book?" Of course I would end up not selling.

Haseeb

Reaction score
I could not purchase a coupe today, but fortunately I have one. I want to remain indifferent to the rising value. I'll never sell mine, so I don't care about how much its worth. I'll let my kids decide what to do with it in the estate plan -- as Rob Siegel said earlier this Spring, if I die, honey, don't sell it for less than 50 k. I refuse however to treat it differently now that it is closer to 50,000 than 17,000. I was thinking last night as I repainted the roundels on the trunk and hubcaps with testers model paint that some people on this forum would not find that appropriate for a car of this value. Folks, when you feel that you ought to spend a couple of c notes on emblems, or stop doing your own wrenching because your car is worth too much -- well that's when the fun ends for me.

Like O'Neills said above, I am concerned that these cars are priced out of reach of younger people. I confronted this myself two years ago when I realized that my air cooled Porsche jones was never to be satisfied -- the cars have simply slipped out of my financial reach. I decided to compromise , to find 85 % of the pleasure for 25% of the cost. I ended up with an '82 Alfa Spider, a lovely driver, with a truly smokin' engine. These are easily found in good condition for 8k. Another example is the E30 convertible : I found one with a euro m40 engine, bare bones, no AC, ABS, or ASC. It is a gorgeous car with the top down, and with a lighter 4 pot in the front, it handles beautifully with the appropriate suspension upgrade. The ragtops have escaped the inflation putting E30 coupes, especially the M42, into 5 figures, because boy racers and drifters don't want them.. The E24 sharks are another excellent example -- yes they are heavy, but they are classical designs, probably more striking and dramatic than the E nine, great highway touring machines, and there are a lot of them out there for 10,000.
I know this isn't directly related, but today I sold my old truck, and I thought a lot about what you said after I handed over the keys and saw the truck pull away one last time

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
I could own a Corrado. I was pretty close to buying a G60 back in the day. I believe that @nosmonkey has a Corrado. It amazes me how cheap VW’s are. :)

Yep, '96 final year VR6 with all the options ticked. PO spent about $7k on the engine and we picked it up for £1600 in 2012. Now worth about £6500-7000. Been on daily duty for a while with 202k on the clocks. Never missed a beat. Rust prevention is much better than its Karmann sibling too.

Same story with my mk1 Golf. Back when I started restoring it was worth maybe 5k done up and the resto was sentimentality rather than profiting from it. Closer to 12k now just a few years on.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep, '96 final year VR6 with all the options ticked. PO spent about $7k on the engine and we picked it up for £1600 in 2012. Now worth about £6500-7000.

Same story with my mk1 Golf. Back when I started restoring it was worth maybe 5k done up and the resto was sentimentality rather than profiting from it. Closer to 12k now just a few years on.

Lovely,

I've always been a fan of VW's special editions including the funky Corrados like the "Storm" and "Fire and Ice". I'm not opposed to buying a 1989 Helios Blue Wolfsburg Edition GLI. But, if I could have one VW it would probably be a Golf GTI limited with a 16v G60 and syncro...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Back when I started restoring it was worth maybe 5k done up and the resto was sentimentality rather than profiting from it. Closer to 12k now just a few years on.

Yes, procrastination has paid off handsomely for me. If I had sold the '73 tii project I have in my garage when I said I was going to finished originally I probably would've gotten around $8k for it. I think it may bring $25k now. I have two more tii's waiting for be restored so by the time I finish those they'll be worth a cool million! :p

TodB

Reaction score
E9 and now 2002 prices seem to be climbing, where those values will go (or stay) is anyone's guess. I did not buy for investment though I do keep an eye on recent sales and have adjusted my stated value insurance accordingly every couple of years. Regardless of value, I will continue to drive both frequently though as a relatively new 02 owner, I find myself driving it more (daily) than my Coupe (maybe weekly). I'm more careful where I park if I am going somewhere that requires parking and keep a sharp eye peeled in the rear view mirror.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lovely,

I've always been a fan of VW's special editions including the funky Corrados like the "Storm" and "Fire and Ice". I'm not opposed to buying a 1989 Helios Blue Wolfsburg Edition GLI. But, if I could have one VW it would probably be a Golf GTI limited with a 16v G60 and syncro...

Good luck finding one! They also did a 16V G60 Corrado, at display at the Karmann museum.

Speaking of Karmann museums, here's one I started preparing earlier.

dEbBr9n.jpg

Drew20

Site Donor
Reaction score
Seeing as we've gone all VW I'll share a piccie of my old mk2, sold last year at auction at a price which could only be due to a mk2 bubble, this is it sitting at the auction venue. Body kit is original dealer fitted Votex, and the wheels are also original 15" splitties. Had to go to make room for the CSL in the garage.... sniff

IMG_1023.JPG

I've a mate with a very low miles (<20k) Storm. Needs some recommissioning, but mint covers it well. I'm going to help him get it sorted.... one of these days. Brakes are frozen at the moment

scottd

Reaction score
View attachment 45945 When Disney puts the movie out featuring our beloved coupes the prices will hit the roof. They are already buying coupes for filming I hear.
Anybody else reading the book?

I read the book a while back and enjoyed it. Glad to hear a coupe is actually being used, but worry the film may not live up to the book.

Scott