Solid 72 CS on Hemmings w/4bbl intake

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Favorite color combo on a coupe that is not a CSL. Sounds pretty good. Wheels look nice and stance is good. Air cleaner looks fresh out of Kragen but easy fix. Some leakes and I'm sure some hidden rust but you are right, not bad for the price. Seems like prices are coming down on the whole. This is a well known dealer so even w/ middle man prices seems fair from 60' view.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
One big problem with using a square bore 4-bbl carb on the spreadbore BMW 4-bbl manifold is the obstruction of the mixture path.

cPb884n.jpg

MotoCarlo

Reaction score
Steve (or anyone) do you remember anything about this car? I could not find any previous post concerning it. And I am going to look at it this week.
Thanks guys!

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
So, I had the car looked over closely, in person by a forum member as well as some of the the resident experts through photos and the consensus is that the original Euro VIN on the front cowl was cut out and replaced with a US VIN from a 72 MY car. It appears the steering column (cover?) was also swapped to reflect the US VIN #. Not sure as to the reason but there it is.

I have a report and detailed pictures if anyone is entertaining making an offer. Not likely given the story but if so, feel free to PM for details.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yikes. The chopped VIN is not in the old Registry. Something about an air dam and stock wheels doesn't work for me.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
this car is in Atlanta - Motorcar Studio usually has decent cars, but not always. i think M5bb (Gary) went to look at this coupe for somebody. i agree with Steve's assessment of air dam + stock wheels. there is one other thing that adds to that - no chrome / rubber trim at the rocker cover. it adds to the 'unfinished' look. not wild about the black hood / fender grilles on a fjord coupe. probably already discussed somewhere else, but why would this car have a Km speedo ... unless it landed in Canada or Mexico.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What were the clues that convinced you it was a VIN swap? I see the MY 74 seatbelts but it has pre 74 seats and dash rail, it’s easy to swap a speedo. Great detective work.

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
What were the clues that convinced you it was a VIN swap? I see the MY 74 seatbelts but it has pre 74 seats and dash rail, it’s easy to swap a speedo. Great detective work.

Bondo all around the VIN and an overall look of being just to good on an otherwise unrestored car... And the opinion of a couple informed folks from the forum here. I'll let them chime in separately if they want to.

It's not just a few odds and ends. The car has city lights(headlights) , wind up windows, rear fog, kph speedo, no US side markers... Someone would have to go to a LOT of trouble on what is a non original, unremarkable car...

64565.jpeg

64564.jpeg

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well now that the cat is out of the bag...

I didn’t feel that it was my place to mention publicly, but so I did provide input.

A few updates to the comments below. The 2800 CS wiper squirter holes are stamped into all firewalls, so that isn’t an indicator of an early car., and I think it is a ‘74 anyway. This “Fjord” has small outer slats on the chin, which started in production year 73. Also, it has a ‘74 one piece carpet along with the ‘74 belts. A hodgepodge of bolt on parts across years isn’t indicative of the VIN swap. The visible irregularities near the VIN along with the euro-specific parts are a clue. Even then, I intend to leave VIN swap identification to those conducting a PPI. It is an unfortunate situation that can also leave an unaware seller in a bad spot. Due diligence by buyers is paramount.

Hi @tferrer

I do have some concerns. Mainly, this car has a US VIN. It is advertised as a grey market car, and rightly so. I see euro gauges, a euro rear fog light, manual windows, and a primarily euro steering wheel. I see short studs on the strut tops with no signs of US spacers. The dash face is from an automatic car of the same era. It looks like a VIN swap to me. I would check carefully around the firewall VIN. The rivets on the VIN plate aren’t original either. Plate removal isn’t uncommon for restored cars. I would be very interested if the holes in the cowl (near the hood latch) correspond with 2800 CS washer nozzles, and if the holes are present on a 3.0 CS.

I would look for signs of rear end damage. The body lines look nice. The wheel well isn’t original, and neither is the tool tray. The

Hi @tferrer

Happy to help. Good that Gary confirmed many of my assumptions/observations. First that the car was hit in the rear. Second about the VIN. All signs point to it being a '74 euro. The chin is from a '73 plus. The euro sheet metal. It has '74 seatbelts, mid-'73+ circuit breaker panel. It looks like the front fender or fenders have been off. Also, the whole upper fender box area above the glove box has been stitched together, both the firewall and the A-pillar. You can see the tack welds on the fender up near the aluminum VIN plate. The upper passenger tire well near the defroster vent has been beat on with a hammer. The passenger rear, driver's front (outer), and passenger front (outer) floor pans have been replaced. Likely some time ago, before the introduction of aftermarket pans. The tire well looks to be e3, but it may be another mark (definitely BMW, but not E9).

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I agree, there appears to be filler behind the vin tag. What is confusing is the mix of parts. Pre 74 seats and door cards with 74 belts. Pre 74 two piece dash rail. Looks like it has underdash rear defrost switch which is pre 74. Maybe the only 74 item is the seatbelts, very weird.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
interesting ... the more i look at it the more hodge podge i see. it has a 74 tool kit. the rivets on the inner fender VIN plate do not look original.

as mentioned, roll up windows, no a/c - early door panels and flag mirror in US location. something funny about the coloration of the dash below the gauges - looks like there was once an automatic gear indicator originally in front of the dash - discoloration. later style headrests. no window motor access holes / longer trims on rear side panels ... '74 rear side arm rests - with outlet for '74 seatbelts. missing rear seatbelts - perhaps they are under the rear seats - did the '74 have retractable rear seatbelts? rear parcel shelf is not carpet (correct for designated '72 year). no dome light? i thought sunroof cars had the dome light on the driver's side. no rear roof mounted grab pulls - obviously the headliner has been replaced.

it does not look to have a '74 telescoping steering column. i was wondering if it was 2 bodies put together.