Stahl Headers

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used or bought Stahl headers for their coupe?
They are long tube headers and cost $1100.
I heard they won't fit but are listed in their catalog for the E9.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
haven't used them on an e9 ... but had them on my last 2002. i read about somebody using one in the last couple of days. give carl bennett a ring at korman ... he can tell you what you need to do to make them fit.

Tom P

Reaction score
I just installed a brand new set and they fit without issue. Fit and finish was beautiful. A prior owner did notch the frame rail. I have plenty of clearance though and I don't think that made a difference with the install. The trick for me was to lower both pipes in nestled relatively together then I worked them into place. Trying to install one half then the other half wouldn't work. Having someone under the car to hold up one half while the other half was bolted down helped as well. Will snap a picture of the completed job if interested.

vraned

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have stahl headers on my coupe. There is definitely a trick to getting them in, but they fit fine. I put mine in one at a time with the car on jackstands. Front header first. Mount on studs and install nuts just enough to keep the header on. You need to move it around while you maneuver the back into place. Great fun. The last time I wrapped them in thin foam sheet to protect the jethot.

Last edited:

EJ333

Reaction score
Tom,
I would like to know how your driving impressions have changed after the install of your headers. Thanks

Last edited:

Tom P

Reaction score
Hi EJ,

It's hard to say, they certainly look better! As for performance I don't have anything to compare against since once I limped the car home 10 years ago, my restoration journey began. I'll soon trade the joy of restoration to the joy of driving it! My first drive was last week and it was a thrill to say the least! Here's a pic of the nearly complete engine bay w/new Stahl installed...

Attachments

• Photo Sep 25, 9 55 54 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 25, 9 55 54 PM.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 259

Lotuss7

Site Donor
Reaction score
Beautiful. I had stahl headers on my 2002 with dual side drafts. This is just that must better. Jealous.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Doubt they are significantly diff

Has anyone ever used or bought Stahl headers for their coupe?
They are long tube headers and cost $1100.
I heard they won't fit but are listed in their catalog for the E9.

Used to put these on all performance BMWs exc 2002tiis
Doubt they are significantly diff Than other headers of the same diam for street use and milder performance motors. A good combination with DCOEs was the old rule of thumb.I remember them being noisier (pinking noise) and giving a bit more top end. With DCOEs and a hot motor they felt like they added some torque even at lower rpm.

Perhaps SFDon or Mario can say where these provide a good benefit beyond eye candy.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry to hijak, but what is that cool looking fuel hookup system you have for the Webers?

Hi EJ,

It's hard to say, they certainly look better! As for performance I don't have anything to compare against since once I limped the car home 10 years ago, my restoration journey began. I'll soon trade the joy of restoration to the joy of driving it! My first drive was last week and it was a thrill to say the least! Here's a pic of the nearly complete engine bay w/new Stahl installed...

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nice engine room Tom, I'll add, what fan are you running?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,

there are different diameters of stahl headers ... i think 1.25, 1.375, 1.5 + 1.625. depends on what your head / engine is like. the stahl website lists the same header for e3, e9, e12 + early e24 (including 635). i think a little professional advice is warranted. Korman has used these a lot ... and i think they should have a good idea of which size for what build of engine.

I would be interested to know what Mario or Don recommend - type (other than Stahl) and size.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
My coupe has them. A previous owner installed them sometime in the eighties along with Recaros, bigger front and rear sway bars, and BBS RS rims.

I'm glad he owned my car.

Tom P

Reaction score
Thank you / fan / fuel distribution

Thank you all for the compliments...

@Nicad: I have to thank SFDon for the fan suggestion. It's from an '88 E30. I swapped it in place of the original condensor fan. They're plentiful at PickNPull for $30/ea. Wired it up with a relay and coolant temp switch to trigger it - also tied it into my A/C circuit for dual purpose use. Working well...

@Stevehose: I went with a 3-port fuel distribution block in order to channel the fuel independently to each carb as opposed to running them in series. I felt running them in series could lead to a starved 3rd carb compared to first two. Likely not the case but I like the way it turned out and now feel like each are balanced and pulling equally.

@RSPorsche: Well said... I consulted with Korman (Carl) and also with Jere Stahl himself to come to the 1-3/8" option as being the best for my situation. If running DCOE45's and a hot cam, they probably would have leaned towards 1-1/2". They both said bigger isn't always better when it comes to headers. For spirited street driving, balance and throttle response below 3500RPM range, 1-3/8" was my choice.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
When I called the other day all that was offered was 1 3/8.

BTW I was told they were closing the business the first of the year. Retiring and no family members interested in continuing the business.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so you are runnning DCOE 40's? any other mods like cam or...?

@RSPorsche: Well said... I consulted with Korman (Carl) and also with Jere Stahl himself to come to the 1-3/8" option as being the best for my situation. If running DCOE45's and a hot cam, they probably would have leaned towards 1-1/2". They both said bigger isn't always better when it comes to headers. For spirited street driving, balance and throttle response below 3500RPM range, 1-3/8" was my choice.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I called the other day all that was offered was 1 3/8.

BTW I was told they were closing the business the first of the year. Retiring and no family members interested in continuing the business.
Gary,

did you talk to korman or stahl?