Stahl Headers

TodB

Reaction score
I suggest that you reach out to the E28 crew also on mye28.com. Maybe some members there who would be interested also.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'd join but I'm not sure 1 3/8 is big enough for a 3.5l with performance cam and triple 40DCOE's? Seems like 1 1/2 or Ireland Engineerings header might be a good alternative to these Stahls.

John,

depends on what cam you are using. korman recommends the 1 3/8" with a schrick 282 cam and 40 dcoes. if i remember correctly, they go with the 1 1/2 with the 45 dcoes and the schrick 304 cam ... and 1 5/8" on a race motor. i could be wrong.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I suggest that you reach out to the E28 crew also on mye28.com. Maybe some members there who would be interested also.
the e28 uses a different header. pre '82 models use the model 11 header, for the e12 + e24.

TodB

Reaction score
Yep, I know they are different between E28 and E9 but an order is an order and they might include it as part of a group buy.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
true, there is one minor problem - there are 2 different versions for 5 series (other than e12) ... and actually, there is a secondary e12 as well as e24 version (79 thru 82 1/2) the 12 + 12a. both include a "y" to go into a cat. the model 10 goes for a 533i (also fits 535i, 633csi + 635csi) ... then there's the model 9 which fits a 535i (unspecified year) ... both of these fit a cat.

that's enough to ruin my day and cause problems. so if we can get 6 here ... then that's what i want to do. in the mean time, i will ask Judy if they want to join in if it will help our numbers. if we get further, i will figure out the order scenario ... and hopefully get them to ship directly to the buyers - rather than paying to ship to me ... and then paying to ship to each buyer.

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
I learned long ago that when opportunities like this for parts come up, that I need to take them. That having been said, I don't know squat about headers.

Ive got a stock 3.0 with 32/36. Why would I want headers ? Why wouldn't I want headers ? While I want the car to have a little growl, I would emphasis "little". Also, if I can ever master these DGEVs, Id be tempted to give triples a shot.

OK, that's it. What is your advise ?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I learned long ago that when opportunities like this for parts come up, that I need to take them. That having been said, I don't know squat about headers.

Ive got a stock 3.0 with 32/36. Why would I want headers ? Why wouldn't I want headers ? While I want the car to have a little growl, I would emphasis "little". Also, if I can ever master these DGEVs, Id be tempted to give triples a shot.

Same question here.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

very sound comment, and question too, i am in (for the question)

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I too am curious, and another question por favor, would the frame rail need to be notched to fit?

Thanks for spearheading this Scott.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
guys - good questions. i am probably not the best person to answer this - but i will give it a go.

my experience is that there are 3 things that really improve our engines. a cam, a header and triple DCOEs. (fuel injection systems aside) all of these things help the engine breathe better.

here are some things that i have learned
for better throttle response and torque, go with a smaller diameter primary tube (1 3/8"). if your primary goal is top end power, go with a larger diameter (track cars). but keep in mind, there is a lot more to dialing it all in for selection in your car to dial in power - i do know from my last 2002 w/ an extreme engine ... you do lose a lot of low end torque with the engine that is set up for top end power.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
OK, so how many horses can one gain from just headers assuming the rest of the exhaust system is stock?

Has anybody just removed the manifold and dyno'd a stock car with no backpressure at all to see what the upper bound is?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
no idea Arde,

don't care to guess - except not as much as advertizing would lead you to believe. i look at it as a platform to take advantage of future changes.

Brian D

Reaction score
Has anybody just removed the manifold and dyno'd a stock car with no backpressure at all to see what the upper bound is?
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Running the engine with open exhaust ports will never give the best power, and you will burn the exhaust valves if you do it long enough.

There is a TON of misinformation on the internet about exhaust in general. Here's a link I posted at mye28, with actual testing done. Don't let the fact that it's a Chevy being tested throw you, the engine can't read the name on its valve cover.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0312_exhaust_pipes_test/viewall.html

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
its a good article ... thanks for posting Brian.

it gives some good comparative information about header styles in relation to motor. it also shows what a shorter tube does (moves the power higher up the revs), and what the bigger tube does - with a more aggressive engine design. it does show a significant increase of adding a header over a stock manifold - on the same engine. you need to consider where you want the power to be added to your car - mid range or high range. it makes a huge difference.

Mike Goble

Reaction score
One thing that isn't covered in the Car Craft article is the collector diameter. 1-5/8" 4-into-1 headers usually come with a 3" collector that is immediately necked down into a 2-1/2" pipe. Why would you have a 10" piece of 3" pipe right in a main scavenging area?

Jack Burns offers the following advice:
"One of the largest errors street enthusiasts make is in running too large of a primary pipe, and too large of a collector. For example, NHRA and IHRA Stock teams using Burns' headers in H/SA in traditional small-block powered musclecars are running 1.5-inch diameter primary pipes- much smaller than many street machines are trying to use."
My personal experience has been to run a 2-1/2" collector with a 1-5/8" primary tube to keep the gas velocity up. With this setup we produced 417 rwhp thru the muffs from a mild mannered 331" SBC. I also used 2-1/2" collectors on a daily driver 406" Nova that ran 11.70's @ 117 thru the muffs at Sacrament.

Ed Henniman of Headers by Ed has some very interesting notes on collector design.

http://www.headersbyed.com/hc_imphdrd.htm

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Mike,

also a very good article. (headers by ed). the comments regarding gas velocity increase vs decreasing due to tube diameter is worth noting.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. Running the engine with open exhaust ports will never give the best power, and you will burn the exhaust valves if you do it long enough.

There is a TON of misinformation on the internet about exhaust in general. Here's a link I posted at mye28, with actual testing done. Don't let the fact that it's a Chevy being tested throw you, the engine can't read the name on its valve cover.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0312_exhaust_pipes_test/viewall.html

Thanks, you spared me and my neighbors from a noisy experiment.
The first chart looks very promising, but it is a Chevy...

I like the idea of simulators, where can get one? I want to learn the intuition behind all this.
Does any sporty car come with headers in stock form?

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks, you spared me and my neighbors from a noisy experiment.
The first chart looks very promising, but it is a Chevy...

I like the idea of simulators, where can get one? I want to learn the intuition behind all this.
Does any sporty car come with headers in stock form?
if memory serves, the e30 m3 came with headers ... they sure weren't cast manifolds.