Steering Boxes. Who has had both? (Manual, Power)

aguirola

Reaction score
I have now, and in the process of rebuilding 3 manual steering boxes.
On my Coupe it has P/S, and would like to enquire, what about the steering shaft?
Do I require a longer one, from another manual?
Thank you.
Regards,
Alberto

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ideally another shaft from a manual steering car (same model) should be the correct length. Install the steering box first and then measure the length required and match that with the shaft you have. A metal shop will be able to adjust the length if required.

IMG_4064.jpeg

aguirola

Reaction score
That is the catch. I have 1 from the race car, but no shaft for the other, and even uncertain at that.
Can the PS shaft be shortened?
Thank you.
Regards,
Alberto

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can only use the 108 in a E3/ E9. You also have a 127 if I see the number right……per my records (amateur) 129 would be for a RHD…. (I don’t know the 127 type).
Compare the 2 casings to see if there are differences.

aguirola

Reaction score
You can only use the 108 in a E3/ E9. You also have a 127 if I see the number right……per my records (amateur) 129 would be for a RHD…. (I don’t know the 127 type).
Compare the 2 casings to see if there are differences.
You are right about the RHD, how it would get here is a mystery as only LHD for us. Actually against the law the have a RHD car here. :rolleyes:
I also have a 3rd one, no photo here.

Last edited:

JamesE30

Reaction score
Nice to read the input in this thread.

Something else interesting worth noting in this thread is the staggering weight difference between manual and power steering set ups. I measured a 13.8kg saving without fluids. Just for reference, that’s a better weight reduction than fitting an aluminium CSL Hood!

IMG_2677.jpeg
IMG_2678.jpeg

By the way, on the topic of steering shafts, am I right in thinking I can use my late model steering shaft (with telescopic adjustment) to fit the manual steering box?

I thought I’d measured and confirmed it but it’s been so long ago I’m starting to second guess it! I will know for sure when it goes in the car in the next weeks!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score

Something else interesting worth noting in this thread is the staggering weight difference between manual and power steering set ups. I measured a 13.8kg saving without fluids. Just for reference, that’s a better weight reduction than fitting an aluminium CSL Hood!

View attachment 176405View attachment 176404

By the way, on the topic of steering shafts, am I right in thinking I can use my late model steering shaft (with telescopic adjustment) to fit the manual steering box?

I thought I’d measured and confirmed it but it’s been so long ago I’m starting to second guess it! I will know for sure when it goes in the car in the next weeks!
They both look impeccable. Looking forward to more updates.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Thats exactly what I’ve been preaching all along!

aguirola

Reaction score

Not only the difference in weight, it is the location, polar moment of inertia here...
James, that is a lot of Lbs.!
Anyone know where I can find a telescopic shaft?

Regards, Alberto

aguirola

Reaction score
I would like to install the manual one in place of the hydraulic.
can someone point me?
We tried, but it appears to have a lot of mis-alignment from the shaft to the box.
I am certain I am missing out...
Thanks.
Regards, Alberto

aguirola

Reaction score
For one of them, I am missing the large bearing cup... the bearings I have.
Anyone have one?

Regards, Alberto

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2160.jpg

IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

IMG_2163.jpg