T-Green 1970 2800cs on BAT

offpage

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi guys! I’m the buyer. I live in LA and I’ve wanted an e9 for about 20 years, and recently have been in a position in life where it made some sense to actually own one. I’ve been looking actively since December, have tracked every online sale I could find, and have seen most of the ones for sale here in SoCal. Normally I wouldn’t feel comfortable buying a car sight unseen, but @craterface provided such an honest representation and I have seen him actively on here for the past 6 months - so that gave me the confidence. Scott was also super responsive when I reached out with questions.
I’m thrilled to be the next custodian of such a great car, and grateful to Scott for being such a great seller.
I’m excited to be part of the e9 community, I’ve learned so much from you all on here, and hope to meet some of the SoCal members in person soon.
- Sam

TodB

Reaction score
Actually, I think you almost stole this car, but then, that’s a biased opinion. It appears a great example, honestly advertised by a very knowledgeable owner. I too am wondering if the price was held back by it being a 2800CS vs a 3.0. I’ve experienced that at some shows, overhearing “it’s only a 2800CS”. I get the same thing with my 02 - “it’s not a Tii.

@Eastrixus, drive and enjoy it. A lot.

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
i suspect 3 things held it back: no AC, no 5spd, and the hood fit. Now, I happen to think AC and a 5spd are a little over rated and indeed none of my classics other than my E9 have AC. I have driven cross country multiple times in E3’s w 4spds, and I thought they were just fine. My jag only has a 4spd and it cruises at 90 mph all day long … and sounds amazing doing it (yes I have to wear ear plugs).

Anyway, very well bought. Congratulations.

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
Personally I love the color, but I wonder if that wasn’t a factor. According to an article from Hagerty, it affects Corvette values. They produced 2 charts showing color vs value. The first was the basic data, and a second that took into account sample size. That view, green was the worst color with significant numbers. Here’s a link to the article and the 2 charts.
A62DD932-A3A0-4783-B79F-D2E349BE3E46.jpeg
D0880DCA-50EB-40FA-9F67-5F234785770C.jpeg

offpage

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I've been all over the place in terms of where to enter the vast depths of e9 ownership. I drove an '85 E30 325 for a long time, and currently drive an '03 E46 M3, so am excited for my first classic to be in the "family" - but am obviously much more familiar and comfortable with modern drivetrains.

I looked seriously at buying a modified e9, with a more modern engine and 5 speed. I also looked seriously at working with a few people to build up from a project car. The more I learned (on here) the more I discovered just how much rust plays a factor, and sourcing parts. Too may stories of people thinking they had a rust free car only to be slammed with a big surprise. With this example having the rust taken care of, and all the parts sorted, I decided that if I could snag it with a reasonable price, I have nothing to lose!

I get to drive a rather true to stock, restored, great condition e9 - which seems exactly where I should start. The 2800 vs 3.0 didn't matter to me. What did is getting a great car that will give me a strong understanding of what e9 ownership is like without the risk of a looming "surprise" - plus as I have learned (again on here) there are some things unique to the 2800s that I actually really look forward to.

And as much as I like some of the other more common colors and see how they can drive a premium, I am excited to have a color that is a bit more unique. So maybe the color kept others away, and if so then I'm the one who benefited.

I also wonder if Hagerty did the same color analysis on Jags what the result would be?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally I love the color,
I think color is very important to value.
BRG just seems right on an E-Type, but I think less so on a c2 corvette or Maserati 3500. I think the color of this E9 is outstanding, but it’s one of those colors that is more impressive in person than in photos.

HonaloochieBoogie

Reaction score
I think color is very important to value.
BRG just seems right on an E-Type, but I think less so on a c2 corvette or Maserati 3500. I think the color of this E9 is outstanding, but it’s one of those colors that is more impressive in person than in photos.
My coupe is Polaris. I think it looks stunning as it sits but I’d prefer almost any other color (the more 70’s the better). Turkis, golf, inka, etc.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Eastrixus , you may not have seen this distribution, but your color is very rare.
Well now that the auction is over........CONGRATS to Eastrixus and Craterface! Sounds like a good new caretaker to me. But now that the color chart has been brought out it's a little puzzling.

@honaloochie and anyone else, doesn't it seem like the "other" color is a little skewed? That would mean that all the colors listed on the chart are fairly common (to a degree) and the ones that didn't even make the chart except for the "other" category (30.87%) would be EXTREMELY RARE. What other colors is the chart missing? There can't be that many "other" coupes not painted a BMW factory e9 color that's not on the chart already or maybe just no color assigned to a lot of the coupes on the registry during the sort? Seems a bit odd......

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Well now that the auction is over........CONGRATS to Eastrixus and Craterface! Sounds like a good new caretaker to me. But now that the color chart has been brought out it's a little puzzling.

@honaloochie and anyone else, doesn't it seem like the "other" color is a little skewed? That would mean that all the colors listed on the chart are fairly common (to a degree) and the ones that didn't even make the chart except for the "other" category (30.87%) would be EXTREMELY RARE. What other colors is the chart missing? There can't be that many "other" coupes not painted a BMW factory e9 color that's not on the chart already or maybe just no color assigned to a lot of the coupes on the registry during the sort? Seems a bit odd......

I made the chart based registry data. Most of the “other” colors are custom paint or unlisted.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I made the chart based registry data. Most of the “other” colors are custom paint or unlisted.
It's the only thing I could think of but still seems like a lot.....probably mostly unlisted then I would imagine. Thanks Markos, it's still good to see because BMW won't release any numbers on that.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mostly unlisted in their entries, our Registry isn’t that representative of the true distribution of colors.

Agreed. BMW says that they don’t have a database, but they have their sent email in a very predictable structured format. If I had a week with access I could pull every entry that they looked up and load it into a database. :(

Dear <inquirer>,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW <model> <market> VIN <7 digit VIN> was manufactured on <month> <day>, <year> and delivered on <month <day>, <year> to <country>. The original colour was <color name>, paint code <color code>.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agreed. BMW says that they don’t have a database, but they have their sent email in a very predictable structured format. If I had a week with access I could pull every entry that they looked up and load it into a database. :(

Dear <inquirer>,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW <model> <market> VIN <7 digit VIN> was manufactured on <month> <day>, <year> and delivered on <month <day>, <year> to <country>. The original colour was <color name>, paint code <color code>.
Good luck with that! :oops: but hey, it's worth a shot! Worst they can say is "NO"!

offpage

Site Donor
Reaction score