T-Green 1970 2800cs on BAT

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Agreed. BMW says that they don’t have a database, but they have their sent email in a very predictable structured format. If I had a week with access I could pull every entry that they looked up and load it into a database. :(

Dear <inquirer>,

Thank you for your email.

The BMW <model> <market> VIN <7 digit VIN> was manufactured on <month> <day>, <year> and delivered on <month <day>, <year> to <country>. The original colour was <color name>, paint code <color code>.
Even with your prodigious IT skills I doubt you would be able to migrate their data which is probably on microfiche into another format!

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
The "Other" color per the chart is Mary Kay pink. There must be a Playboy Bunny of the Year diving a pink E9 somewhere in L.A......

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Even with your prodigious IT skills I doubt you would be able to migrate their data which is probably on microfiche into another format!

Ha! Agreed on that front. That is why I suggested that they mine their outbox. Rather than dealing with the microfiche or having them on reform data entry, they could load their sent mail results into a database.

BMW will tell you that they have “no way” of searching if a factory Golf 2800 CS exists. My point is that they can search their sent mail for “2800 CS” + “golf”. Do that programmatically and you have yourself a slowly updating database.

Java Man

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I've been all over the place in terms of where to enter the vast depths of e9 ownership. I drove an '85 E30 325 for a long time, and currently drive an '03 E46 M3, so am excited for my first classic to be in the "family" - but am obviously much more familiar and comfortable with modern drivetrains.

I looked seriously at buying a modified e9, with a more modern engine and 5 speed. I also looked seriously at working with a few people to build up from a project car. The more I learned (on here) the more I discovered just how much rust plays a factor, and sourcing parts. Too may stories of people thinking they had a rust free car only to be slammed with a big surprise. With this example having the rust taken care of, and all the parts sorted, I decided that if I could snag it with a reasonable price, I have nothing to lose!

I get to drive a rather true to stock, restored, great condition e9 - which seems exactly where I should start. The 2800 vs 3.0 didn't matter to me. What did is getting a great car that will give me a strong understanding of what e9 ownership is like without the risk of a looming "surprise" - plus as I have learned (again on here) there are some things unique to the 2800s that I actually really look forward to.

And as much as I like some of the other more common colors and see how they can drive a premium, I am excited to have a color that is a bit more unique. So maybe the color kept others away, and if so then I'm the one who benefited.

I also wonder if Hagerty did the same color analysis on Jags what the result would be?
Hey Eastrixus, Congrats on winning an exceptional E9! It is simply gorgeous and I would expect it to be mechanically sound in every way & wonderful to drive, based on the prior owner. Please consider coming down to the Huntington Beach Concours on August 1st. I will be there with my '74 Polaris 4-speed -- not entered for judging, but just to be there, meet people, & experience everything. I am a newbie to the E9 world too. So far, so good. Congrats again!

offpage

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Eastrixus, Congrats on winning an exceptional E9! It is simply gorgeous and I would expect it to be mechanically sound in every way & wonderful to drive, based on the prior owner. Please consider coming down to the Huntington Beach Concours on August 1st. I will be there with my '74 Polaris 4-speed -- not entered for judging, but just to be there, meet people, & experience everything. I am a newbie to the E9 world too. So far, so good. Congrats again!
Thanks @Java Man, we'll see if I have the car in time! Funny enough I went to check out your car. From what I heard from the seller the day I was there, and then what I read about your post after you purchased it, I think I was the guy who saw it just a few hours before you did. I love the Polaris/Red combo, glad you're enjoying it and the community!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
sorry to have missed seeing this coupe on BaT. @Eastrixus, as you will soon experience, its so worthwhile to buy a coupe from an excellent coupe person ... and a true car guy. @craterface is always conservative on quality descriptions, and as others have said ... a great guy to get to know. you will love the 2800 engine, such a free-reving motor.

offpage

Site Donor
Reaction score
sorry to have missed seeing this coupe on BaT. Eastrixus, as you will soon experience, its so worthwhile to buy a coupe from an excellent coupe person ... and a true car guy. @craterface is always conservative on quality descriptions, and as others have said ... a great guy to get to know. you will love the 2800 engine, such a free-reving motor.
Thanks @rsporsche I'm beyond excited to be an e9 owner, and definitely only felt confident bidding on BAT because of @craterface's presence and rep on here.
And you're not crazy my e9coupe forum username just changed from Eastrixus to @offpage today, I had put in a request before everything happened with this car, but I hope it doesn't confuse to many people when my new username starts posting pics of the 2800 when I get my hands on it.

offpage

Site Donor
Reaction score
Happy to share the car showed up today!
EF944AA0-A689-4A43-BC3D-C80BFEFDC071.jpeg

Took a week, door to door. I used Kwik Trans for the cross country transport.