tail light disassembly and resto

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Unfortunately I didn't take a photo before I refinished them but the were very poor looking, yellow, scuffed etc. You can see some remnants in the rectangular opening on at one of the screw bosses, both of which will be covered
tail light ext rfnshd.jpg

the downside, these took me probably 8 hours

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, yes I did, I bought it a long time ago so I am not sure but I think I was not happy with it as it was just a length and not formed, but I will have to have another look at it

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, yes I did, I bought it a long time ago so I am not sure but I think I was not happy with it as it was just a length and not formed, but I will have to have another look at it

Are the gaskets NLA?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I believe the exterior gaskets were not (do not need to be) molded. I believe they were adhered to the chrome frame with adhesive, and glued to itself as it completed the lap around the tail light. Which is to say, the W&N material should work well here. However, the interior gaskets for the plastic housing were, I believe, molded in the shape of the housing including the little jogs around the fastener tabs. They also have a "U" or "C" shaped profile. Assume these are the ones Stan is referring to? I haven't seen these available, and am planning on finding a similar profile gasket that I'll have to coerce into following the outline of the housing.

paul

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stephen,
I did mine a few months ago .................sprayed the reflectors with spray on chrome and did the plastic housing with spray gloss light grey. Hehheh I had to go out into the garage to the Trunk/Tailight storage box and unpack after reading your blog so I could photo it.

Attachments

• BEFORE.jpg
    BEFORE.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_4323.JPG
    IMG_4323.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_4324.JPG
    IMG_4324.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_4325.JPG
    IMG_4325.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_4326.JPG
    IMG_4326.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 343

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
I have been doing these light restorations for a while, much of what I do is similar to the current discussion- with some differences.
I've done several pairs through this forum, maybe the owners can chime in (Wayne, Tod, Scott, Mark) ?

1) The outer shell is cleaned, not repainted. Ends up looking pretty darn good.
2) Reflectors are disassembled from the shell, then replaced with stainless screws on reassembly.
3) Reflector dishes cleaned and sprayed with a 'shiny' silver paint - it's not like a mirror, but way better than before.
4) Terminals are reformed to original shape as necessary, polished up and re-bent so spring force is improved.
5) Ground sockets are cleaned up with a wire brush to remove corrosion.
6) High Output lamps (nickel shell) installed to replace old dim ones; tails: +150%; brake, turn, reverse: +34%. (+5 to 6 Watts)
7) UPGRADE- additional 'low' filament (running light) added to brake light for major increase in light output, size, reliability, and brings them closer to current lighting standards (useful if you drive the car). This is optional, of course, and may help avoid a rear end collision.

Be glad to take a look at anything you have, as long as it's basically sound I can probably bring it back to do its job nicely!

Pricing around $150-300 per pair, depending on how much work it needs, and the upgrade option.

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Let me chime in ... the Mo Brighta solution makes a huge difference. everything said in post 29 is accurate.

i bought new 'U' shaped gasket material for the bulb holder from McMaster (there are posts about this elsewhere) ... mine are black and if it bothers me, i will paint them with SEM storm gray. to me the most important gasket to replace is the gasket around the lens housing - that is still available from W+N

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Let me chime in ... the Mo Brighta solution makes a huge difference. everything said in post 29 is accurate.

i bought new 'U' shaped gasket material for the bulb holder from McMaster (there are posts about this elsewhere) ... mine are black and if it bothers me, i will paint them with SEM storm gray. to me the most important gasket to replace is the gasket around the lens housing - that is still available from W+N
Whenever someone finds the post or McMaster part number, please post.
I know a lot of folks would need this

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the mcmaster carr part number is 8507K43
the minimum order of 10' ... i bought 25' and had enough to sell a few extra sets 89 cents / foot
https://www.mcmaster.com/#rubber/=1efte7g

the channel width is 1/8" and the interior depth is 1/4" ... its a straight "U" channel neoprene rubber push on molding. it is black. if anybody finds this in gray ... please let us know

while you are ordering, i would order new stainless all thread studs for your taillights as well as stainless washers / nuts (you can order these from belmetric also and you won't have to buy so many m5 nuts / washers

93805A292 18-8 Stainless Steel Threaded Rod M5 x 0.8 mm Thread Size, 20 mm Long, Packs of 10
93805A635 18-8 Stainless Steel Threaded Rod M5 x 0.8 mm Thread Size, 40 mm Long, Packs of 5

Rek

Reaction score
I used chrome wrap for vehicle wrappers. I think its a 3M product. As always my first attempt was a little kack-handed, but the effect is good.

Mo Brighta

Reaction score
I used chrome wrap for vehicle wrappers. I think its a 3M product. As always my first attempt was a little kack-handed, but the effect is good.
Love to have more information - many folks buy product they THINK is made by 3M, but it's only the adhesive with the 3M logo.

Good example is headlight protection film - which I sell lots of. Says '3M' on the back, but is NOT made by 3M, they just apply the stickum. The film itself is totally free of logos and invisible when applied, as it should be.

Can you provide the label or vendor information and exact product name it is sold under? This would be worth a look... THANKS!

Andy