tail light disassembly and resto

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
would love to know how this works, when you worked on mine there wasn't enough finish there to get all of the reflectors to polish well.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I ordered the small roll of chrome reflective foil that I mentioned in post #39. Cut off a piece about 3" square and exposed it to hot air from my heat gun, got the foil up to a bit over 200 degrees F, and there was no distortion, shinking etc. I had previously sprayed my reflectors with Aluminum paint, and installed the bulbs I bought from Mo Brighta. Installed the chrome reflective foil on one side of tail lights in all positions using small overlapping pieces of the foil, then turned on lights, brake lights and flashers. Wow - the side I'd completed looked at least 50% brighter. Promptly did the other side, but haven't driven the car since.

Can't speak to long term durability (it didn't stick real tightly to the reflectors), but it certainly provides superior brightness now.

Gary

Mark Jarman

Reaction score
I followed a process similar to post #29 in this thread by @Mo Brighta. The process is time consuming so Mo Brighta's restoration service is probably a pretty good deal if you're not into doing it yourself.

Highlights

Cleaned up the grey plastic by wet sanding with a 2500 grit paper.

Did NOT disassemble the light sockets. I masked the sockets and surrounding grey plastic and painted the reflective surfaces with the Eastwood product - almost chrome.

Purchased new rubber seal that goes between the grey housing and body from McMASTER-CARR.
8507K43 Neoprene Rubber U-Channel Push-on Trim 1/8" Wide X 1/4" High Inside, 10 ft. Length

Used a fine sandpaper, Q Tip, and electric contact cleaner in all the light bulb sockets to insure the contacts were good.

Result

Front - After and Before
WP_20180515_001.jpg

Back - After and Before
WP_20180515_002.jpg

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I spray painted the reflector parts with chrome spray paint. I painted the outside with SEM gray that matches the original color.
Sockets are another story. Getting by is all I can say. I use di-electric grease on the bulbs to try and maintain good conductivity. I have not tried LEDS.