Terry Sayther's Golf CSL on BaT

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
yes, just following advice learned long ago - never ask a rhetorical question in an open forum that you don't know the answer to in advance.
Yes, saves us some grief! But I’d add, that’s one Csl Bat that, in only my own opinion, lost value after the restoration than its value before!

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
At what point does COVID start affecting classic car sales? I know it's starting to affect housing in that people are putting things on hold. Seems like it would affect the prices eventually.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dan, that's kind the premise in the 'off topic' thread about softening of used car prices. the first noticeable drop is about the increase of auctions ending with 'bid to' (not sold). i have also surmised that even cars that are selling are selling for a lower value. i haven't done any research on that, but i am certain that is the case. i think we will soon get to 50% not sold

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Markos i thought your door hack gap comment was spot on, you could also add trunk gaps also (another car which I saw in person).
I just took a moment (actually many moments) to read the comments. My my, it is almost comical. I trust the auction will go off as well as the market will allow despite the colorful chatter. Seems largely constructive and informative.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Scott, you know the answer..... this was discussed last fall when this 4355016 was on sale at BaT......

We in the no ,

know who did that car and see past the smoke and mirrors and these so called E9 experts , enthusiasts etc etc are all businessmen, who’s only love is making profit from the E9 model

Would I buy a E9 from these businessmen... would I get my E9 restored by these businessmen...HELL NO!!!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i am saddened that a cool color carb csl auction has not progressed past the price of a decent but not perfect CS. i know there is still about 3 hours to go ... but it should be a lot higher.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i am saddened that a cool color carb csl auction has not progressed past the price of a decent but not perfect CS. i know there is still about 3 hours to go ... but it should be a lot higher.
Classic car market is going south with the Economy world wide and coronavirus is not helping

Selling classic cars now , is the wrong business to be in or wrong time to sell ... I think ... great for buyers , bad for sellers

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Since Terry disclosed his reserve, this was a LONG way short - unfortunately for Terry. He said he'll just enjoy driving it and hope this is correct.

I think he will need to sit on it for at least three years. When the last one sold at $130K, that was during a historically low auction slump. The original motor does affect value, but in a strong market highly original examples rival low-end batmobile prices. Honestly there just aren’t that many really nice carb CSL transactions to set the high bar. Seems like a tricky car to sell, hence my theory that they mostly sell to existing CSL and or classic BMW
owners.

sandhu

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think he will need to sit on it for at least three years. When the last one sold at $130K, that was during a historically low auction slump. The original motor does affect value, but in a strong market highly original examples rival low-end batmobile prices. Honestly there just aren’t that many really nice carb CSL transactions to set the high bar. Seems like a tricky car to sell, hence my theory that they mostly sell to existing CSL and or classic BMW
owners.

The last one sold at 130k...black one ?, , coming up for sale very soon at 198k...
market moved north of 68k that quickly...Hell No!!!

johnnybgood7

Reaction score
Members,

I've been watching the posts on Bring A Trailer for the Golf CSL and I think the arguing and back and forth is a distraction and a disservice to the seller. Bring A Trailer is an auction site that, so far, has been a great place to sell (not necessarily) buy unique cars. As you all know several of our Coupes have sold for good money and many here have pitched in to give info, clarify what is important and act as a resource to the population that doesn't know much about E9s. This auction, which has 1 day left, seems to be getting out of hand and hijacking the conversation with some personal vitriol.

For the good of both the Bring A Trailer site, our Forum and the general car community please stop, take a breath and don't detract from the auction by posting unnecessary comments.

Wouldn't hurt if those that are having a heated back and forth apologize to one another too.

Regards, Jon
could not agree more,i am a big bmw nutter,i think the discussions on the several forums about somebody else his or her car, is many times disrespectfull,if there are comments ,sent pm,s to each other,discuss it in private,if a potential buyer wants info,do it on pm,in holland we had m3e30 forum,it was the same ,braking downs other ones car ,was the highlight,the forum is dead in the meanwhile,i really love forums,helping each other on technical issues,show pictures from each others cherised cars,grrrrrrrrrrrreat,but this useless comments about what is original,or is looking bad,leave it out.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
could not agree more,i am a big bmw nutter,i think the discussions on the several forums about somebody else his or her car, is many times disrespectfull,if there are comments ,sent pm,s to each other,discuss it in private,if a potential buyer wants info,do it on pm,in holland we had m3e30 forum,it was the same ,braking downs other ones car ,was the highlight,the forum is dead in the meanwhile,i really love forums,helping each other on technical issues,show pictures from each others cherised cars,grrrrrrrrrrrreat,but this useless comments about what is original,or is looking bad,leave it out.

I feel the same way. I also hate how Amazon has product reviews, many of them pointing out design flaws and product failures. I feel terrible for the companies selling these products. Even worse are movie reviews. IMO, it is best to buy an e9 from a dealer, and do your best to avoid reading any public disclosures about problem areas or workmanship concerns.