The b35 Saga Begins

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sven,

My son used a belt sander with 38 and then 80 grit followed by 3" scotch brite pad on 3" rotary tool and a final sand blast. I will tumble them next.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 322

tmason

Reaction score
If it doesn't have the original engine way not upgrade and while there add headers,SS exhaust with aluminum radiator.Look forward to your pictures Chris. Tim

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just had a nice chat with Paul Burke. I had heard he was hard to get a hold of but he called after I left a VM. I will be buying his b35 street cam (my name for it). A little more lift, a little more duration, equivalent to a 279.

My buddy Don talked to him yesterday and told him what I wanted. Lead time is three weeks, cost just under $600 shipped. Can't wait to get it!

TodB

Reaction score
Paul is a terrific guy and his products are first rate.

I have the B34 version of the cam you are getting and love it. I'll never forget the first 2nd and 3rd gear pull just after install. You won't be disappointed. Make sure you report back!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh, I will report back but this project is going to last all winter. I will have the block back in two months after honing and rings. Head will go out after I get the cam. Amazing how many little bits need to be addressed when doing this: sprockets, chains, tensioners, oil pump mod, all of the injection parts and ECU and on and on.

alanmcg

Reaction score
Me too

Chris,
Sven and I both just ordered the same cam you did - we will get ours in quick and give you full report. Good decision on the 3.5 build - kind of like when you finally went from the basket weaves to alpinas - it's Bout time! :)

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Chris,
Sven and I both just ordered the same cam you did - we will get ours in quick and give you full report. Good decision on the 3.5 build - kind of like when you finally went from the basket weaves to alpinas - it's Bout time! :)

You wouldn't happen to know your bore and stroke and compression ratio would you? I'm assuming you have b35 long block but D or L Jet intake manifolds.

I'm looking at at b35 intake (already on a b34 head) manifold and head on a euro block 3.5 litre and trying to ascertain the bore and stroke.

Doug

Last edited:

pamp

Reaction score
Cams

All this talk of cams...one of the last things I was hoping to collaborate with Murray on...the blumax pulled like a draft horse. His was custom by an old german friend I was told. Never happened to pull the contacts together I am afraid. That said, has anyone fabricated a valve spring compressing tool as to be better than service tool #7003-1? I have a few ideas...not to mean they are good.

afeustel

Site Donor $
Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to know your bore and stroke and compression ratio would you? I'm assuming you have b35 long block but D or L Jet intake manifolds.

I'm looking at at b35 intake (already on a b34 head) manifold and head on a euro block 3.5 litre and trying to ascertain the bore and stroke.

Doug

Doug,
For euro 3.5 (or any B34/B35) bore should be 92 mm with 86 mm stroke. What is unique about the Euro is not the bore, but rather the piston tops. If it is a euro, the piston tops should look like a piano (sort of).

Others know much more so hopefully if this is bad gouge they will chime in.

Drew

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Murray's cam was made by Hans Herman, supposedly. When we swapped his motor to b35 last winter we also swapped the cam but we could find no marks to indicate it was anything but a stock BMW cam so who knows. We didn't tell Murray this, he was very proud of that cam.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just to clarify, the cam I ordered is the N21, same as Sven's order. Just a bit stronger than the N11, the difference being the intake lift and duration in the N21, the N11 only has modified exhaust lift/duration. RWHP should increase from 170HP to 207HP on a b35.