The b35 Saga Begins

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
so what does sir Don prefer to drink? lets start with red or white. i presume red. since he's from the bay area, i guess california over french, aussy or chilean. but is it cab, syrah, zin, merlot or pinot?

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm an equal opportunity wine drinker!
Good wine has no boundaries.
Living in NorCal is wonderful and even our little island of Alameda has wineries, breweries and the Hanger 1 distillery.

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Lifts on the n21 are 0.44" on the In. and 0.432" Ex.

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
For comparison the Schrick 284 is .429" in and .425" ex and the Schrick 282 (which I have as a regrind) is .417" / 417"

Lots of lift in the n21.

Polariscsl

Reaction score
Interesting numbers - is that measured at zero clearance? Are the base circles still the same? It seems a lot of valve lift for an otherwise stock piston and compression ratio.
Mine is a custom made one by cat cams between their version of a 284 and a full race cam - it has 8.2mm of lobe lift and thereby 10.5mm of net valve lift. Mine has race pistons with big reliefs for the loft though. Just wondering if the method of measuring is different?
We also found that the standard cat cam and schrick 284 didn't quite achieve the numbers quoted in their brochures at just over 9mm of net valve lift on a blueprint engine. Sorry for the thread hijack - just interested in what others have developed in case I could find a way over the 300bhp mark without losing my idle!

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
b35 swaps head gasket options

Like HB Chris and several others in this tread I'm changing to the b35 generation - in this case putting a b35 head on my m90 block (84 x 93.4 stroke) replacing the AMC cast head. I'm already using the b35 intake manifold and plumbing with aftermarket engine ignition and management.

The upside to the b35 are bigger intake valves but the downside is lowering the compression ratio to 9:1 or there about with my flat top pistons. The stock b35 piston is piano topped I believe and good for about 9.5:1. The stock head gasket is about .070" but if I get a MLS headgasket in .030" thickness I can pick up a bit more compression to 9.5:1 or a little better.

So here is my question. Does the increased power from somewhat higher compression justify $250 for an MLS gasket? I realize I have to check for valve clearance to see if this is even an option.

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac---m30-multi-layered-steel-head-gaskets-mls-p995.aspx

Polariscsl

Reaction score
One these engines compression and squish is extremely important to make good power so assuming the valves are clear get as much as you can! You could always do some 'man maths' and fit better pistons with a standard gasket - they work fine in a lot of race cars over 11:1

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just had a minor setback, the head is cracked from cylinders 1-5! Showed up after being tanked, will have to look for another head.

Attachments

• IMG_2183.jpg
    IMG_2183.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:

bdigel

Reaction score
Just had a minor setback, the head is cracked from cylinders 1-5! Showed up after being tanked, will have to look for another head.

which head are you looking for , I have a few , for certain several b34's and several older euro ones , and I swear I have a B35 , just not sure where

[email protected]

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Update

Five months later the block is back in my garage and she's a beauty! Still collecting new parts, I may not pull the old motor until September, too many fun drives to enjoy before then. I will put the head on and get everything ready though. And no, my garage is not as pristine as Gary's, damn it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 290

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I shipped Scott's car today- I expect you to make yours even better....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 274