the frua barn find

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
IMG_0996.JPG
Those wheels were made by FPS in Italy for BMW, I have a set with four bolts on my NK2000 sedan. They also came in five bolt as shown and could be purchased from BMW back in the day.

Registro Pietro Frua

Reaction score
Next miracle: We are wondering, which platform was used for 350/4. Here are the facts:
  • rear floor pan of the trunk is from an E3 limousine (see photo below) with longitudinal exhaust in the middle:
    P1070987.JPG

• rear wiring loom is from an E3 (part no. 61 11 1352929)
  • dashboard is from an E3
  • type plate in the engine compartment says "BMW E3 Coupe")
But the wheelbase is only 2.635 (right) and 2.638,5 (left), which is 53,5-57 mm than an E3 (2692 mm). So far, we could neither on the floor pan nor on the powertrain identify where the shortage took place.

My questions are :
  • are there differences in the middle section (below passenger cabin) of the floor pans of E3 and E9?
  • Where else can we look to identify if Frua used an E3 or an E9? (BTW There is no BMW VIN)

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
On an e3 the shock is inside the rear spring and on an e9 it is external to the spring. E3 has drum brakes as does the 2800cs.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
On an e3 the shock is inside the rear spring and on an e9 it is external to the spring. E3 has drum brakes as does the 2800cs.

This is really interesting! I see disk brakes and spring perches and what looks like rear struts.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, both are e3, only the 3.3Li is longer. According to the factory manual (41-0/5), the e3 is 77mm longer than an e9 coupe. They measure from the forward of the two bolts that mounts the engine subframe to the chassis and then back to the large bolt that mounts the rear subframe. The width of the floor pan/chassis is identical for both bodies. Length of E9 = 2390, e3 =2467, this is easier than measuring the wheelbase I think.

Registro Pietro Frua

Reaction score
Yes, both are e3, only the 3.3Li is longer. According to the factory manual (41-0/5), the e3 is 77mm longer than an e9 coupe. They measure from the forward of the two bolts that mounts the engine subframe to the chassis and then back to the large bolt that mounts the rear subframe. The width of the floor pan/chassis is identical for both bodies. Length of E9 = 2390, e3 =2467, this is easier than measuring the wheelbase I think.
OK, thank you.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And the engine bay looks like e3 as well, the hood release latches are mounted on the engine side of the firewall, coupes are mounted in the fresh air plenum on rear of firewall.