Tire Opinions and Experience Requested

CSBM5

Reaction score
Most likely. Here in the US we never had a steel spare wheel though, it would have been the alloy wheel.

The 1972 Bavaria most definitely had a steel spare wheel just like the standard wheels on the car. I assume that would apply to the 1973 and 1974 Bavaria as well. Perhaps the 1975/76 3.0 Si came with the alloy spare to match the standard wheels on that year's car.

E3_UK

Reaction score
I should add that the alloys on my car aren't original, it would have had steels from the factory hence why the spare is steel.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the coupe came with a spare alloy, the e3 bavaria came with all steel wheels, so the road wheels and spare were steel. not positive about the e3 3.0s / si or what happened if they were dealer changed to the coupe wheels

TedS

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. Steinkamp. I appreciate your insight. Although I like to throw it around a little, I'm more interested in a comfortable but planted ride for myself and passengers and thus I'm attracted to the 205/70's. Plus my wheels show a lot of rim edge even with 195/70's (not that 205/70's will help that much). Currently I need to refrain from much spending so I'm considering some of the lower prices tire options. I'll let you know what I land on.

What did you eventually choose?

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sorry. When you asked I hadn’t. Just found your question. XAS 175/HR14 - posted a picture in E3 Sedan Photos.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It looks like a DR70 HR 14 has a tire width of 200...so splits the difference.

Standard tire size for 1971 BMW 2800 CS:
(in case of different tires in front and rear the dimensional data are valid for driving or rear wheels)

Standard tire size:DR70 HR 14
Tire width (mm):200
Tire sidewall factor:70
Rim size (in):14
Total wheel diameter (mm / in):636 / 25

I have 225/50/16's that I bought to put on my 2800cs. I was told by the seller and I think a few people on this blog that they will rub in the front (unless I have rolled fenders). The link that you posted says that they will fit - any thoughts? I could just try them but I wanted to know if it's even worth a try or if I should just order smaller tires for the front.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have 225/50/16's that I bought to put on my 2800cs. I was told by the seller and I think a few people on this blog that they will rub in the front (unless I have rolled fenders). The link that you posted says that they will fit - any thoughts? I could just try them but I wanted to know if it's even worth a try or if I should just order smaller tires for the front.
Rubbing is not exactly the right way to describe the risk. In a turn the sidewall of the tire can catch the edge of the sheet metal on the inside of the fender if anything (continued braking, road undulations, etc.) causes the body to move downward relative to the tires. If this happens, the rotation of the tire will push the edge away, and leave you with an outward kink in the center of the fender.

CSBM5

Reaction score

Are you referring to the Bavaria or the CS? Decades ago on my Bavaria I ran 8x18 Rial wheels all around with 225/50-16 tires, lowered, with no issues up front. I believe the Rial wheels had an 11mm offset also. From what I recall from back in the day, the CS has less fender clearance room up front than the Bavaria. I actually had plenty of fender clearance on the Bav:

Right Front.jpg

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are you referring to the Bavaria or the CS? Decades ago on my Bavaria I ran 8x18 Rial wheels all around with 225/50-16 tires, lowered, with no issues up front. I believe the Rial wheels had an 11mm offset also. From what I recall from back in the day, the CS has less fender clearance room up front than the Bavaria. I actually had plenty of fender clearance on the Bav:

View attachment 121860
CS - thanks

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rubbing is not exactly the right way to describe the risk. In a turn the sidewall of the tire can catch the edge of the sheet metal on the inside of the fender if anything (continued braking, road undulations, etc.) causes the body to move downward relative to the tires. If this happens, the rotation of the tire will push the edge away, and leave you with an outward kink in the center of the fender.
Yikes! Thanks - I'll be putting 205-55-16's in front.