Tire Opinions and Experience Requested

GPD

Greg
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I promise you they must have just changed thato_O.....I spoke to Adam this morning at Coker and he agreed that it said "tubes" and it was wrong...:oops: either that or I am losing it.

Fredomatic

Reaction score
Wheels, tires, ride height and stance are purely personal choices. We all have valid reasons for the choices we make. I outlined the reasons for my choice of 205 70 14s in this thread in posts 16, 20, 22, and 31. The only objective things I can add now that the car is on the road is that my speedometer is dead nuts accurate to my GPS at all speeds and there is no issues rubbing fenders or suspension parts at any time.

BTW, my one pet peeve on wheels, tires, ride height, stance, is using a tire with not enough sidewall to fill the wheel well at least as good as done by a stock tire. It's a little tough to get a low profile tire on cars made before low profile tires were produced to look "right" (to me) without lowering the car. Otherwise, the car (to me) looks like it's pants are too short and its socks are showing :(.

Thank you Mr. Steinkamp. I appreciate your insight. Although I like to throw it around a little, I'm more interested in a comfortable but planted ride for myself and passengers and thus I'm attracted to the 205/70's. Plus my wheels show a lot of rim edge even with 195/70's (not that 205/70's will help that much). Currently I need to refrain from much spending so I'm considering some of the lower prices tire options. I'll let you know what I land on.

Attachments

• FPS Wheel.jpg
    FPS Wheel.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 144

Fredomatic

Reaction score
Regarding a 205/70/14 tire, does anyone have a experience or an educated guess whether a load load index of 95T vs 98T would make much of a difference in ride quality? I'm thinking the added stiffness of the 98T on this 'tall' side wall might improve cornering. Hmm? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don’t think the load index will be noticeable. And for those that have noticed, Frederick’s wheels are the ultra rare fps alloys that were used on the even more rare Frua coupes.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
love the car + wheels Chris ... really look.

i agree with @Dick Steinkamp ... performance tire in 14" being reasonably priced doesn't exist. there are some excellent 14" tires. my favorite is the pirelli cn 36, followed by the michelin xwx, followed by the vredestein sprint classic. they all look perfect on the e9 as well as the e3. i think there are some very good tires available, but it comes down to period correct look (plain sidewalls) and how fast you are really going to drive your car. i am in a very similar boat with 15" wheels. the michelins on the wheels are very good tires, but not true performance tires ... pirelli cn 36's are in my future.

With the comment on short sidewalls looking odd in mind, does anyone know of a reasonably priced "performance" tire in 205/70r14 size?

Closest thing I can find is 205/60r14 that's under $100/tire.

AustinOski

Site Donor $
Reaction score
So exploring 175/HR14 XAS as I feel those were the tires on my dads car that had the unique ride. In doing so, reached out to Coker Tire. They list 175hr14 XAS as needing tubes but having called them twice about these, they state these tires DO NOT NEED tubes- despite what is on their web site. Also, as the wheels are currently sporting 20 year old 205s, I would imagine if I did put in tubes I would have to put some "flaps" in the wheel to add tubes? Thoughts?
I came close buying the XAS. Great choice. I think the tube requirement is for true spoke wheels. A smooth alloy rim should not require tubes - if I recall correctly.
If you go that route, please share your experience.

Last edited:

mmccusername

Reaction score
He has the only five lug set I’ve ever seen and I have the only four lug set as well. We are very fortunate.

I have a five lug set as well. I found them on Ebay Kleinanzeigen. Only recognized them because I saw them on your car, Chris.
I'm not particularly looking to sell them, but I'm also not going to use them anytime soon, so if someone needed them for a special car, I would gladly pass them along for what I paid for them.

Attachments

• $_59.jpg
    $_59.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1573499230_96771.jpg
    IMG_1573499230_96771.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 134

E3_UK

Reaction score

CSBM5

Reaction score
The OE spare tire on my 1972 Bavaria (3102336) was a Michelin XAS...same as tires the car was delivered with, in 175HR-14 size.

E3_UK

Reaction score
The OE spare tire on my 1972 Bavaria (3102336) was a Michelin XAS...same as tires the car was delivered with, in 175HR-14 size.
May have been different tyres on European models ?