Transmission swap and engine compartment refresh Winter 2023-2024

Weather strip install is pretty straightforward, the only “issue “ was with the connector between the upper and lower sections. It is a large piece of very smooth rubber and it didn’t want to stick to the A pillar without being treated.

I used acetone to clean and a braid the surface to be glued and that worked on the drivers side, the other side needed some 3000 grit sandpaper. Adhesive used was Wurth black weatherstripping adhesive from a tube.

IMG_0656.jpeg

I have put about 250 miles on it now and the engine is doing fine. Keeping revs under 4k while breaking it in. So far a mix of country roads (there are plenty near me) and highway as well. The 5 speed is a nice addition on the highway.

I had he car in the shop this week for AC charge and found that it would not hold a vacuum. The problem is with one of the lines that I made up. The parts have been ordered and I will make up a new line early this week, then pull a vacuum and see if it will hold. If it holds I will head back to the shop for a charge.

Ordered a second oxygen sensor to install in the bungs on the headers so that I can check/work on the carb jetting.

Lance, all those hours of hard work have certainly paid off in spades!!! A beautiful job and a beautiful coupe. Assume you will be ready for Dirk's "road trip." And perhaps see you for a Rocket Dog drive in the coming weeks. Let me know what weekends work for you.

Steve

Lance, all those hours of hard work have certainly paid off in spades!!! A beautiful job and a beautiful coupe. Assume you will be ready for Dirk's "road trip." And perhaps see you for a Rocket Dog drive in the coming weeks. Let me know what weekends work for you.

Steve
Thanks Steve, any weekend for a Rocket Dog drive is fine! I have another appointment with the exhaust shop to make some adjustments this Thursday and hopefully a better alignment afterwards.

Had the coupe aligned finally. I had set the toe, but was not perfect and I know the camber & caster were out given replacement of the front suspension.

Engine was not running well on the way to the shop, so when I got it home I started on some tuning activities. Plugs (NGK BP5ES) cleaned and gaped for a hotter spark. Installed 02 sensors in the headers and while I was under the car tightened up all three belts.

Started the car and noticed that:
The front weber 38 was dumping fuel from the inboard (pass side) venturi was dumping fuel. I know that I had set the float level at some point, but pulled both carb tops off and re-set the float levels again. Of course I was careful to keep track of the tiny choke linkage clip and as careful as I was one of them disappeared so a replacement will need to be ordered.

The distributor cap (123 ignition) was moving while the engine was idling. Not engine movement, but the cap itself was moving. It appears that one of the spring clips had lost some tension and the rotor had backed out and was rubbing on the cap. New parts needed here as well, and given that I only have about 1,000 miles on the system I wrote to 123 to share displeasure. Will see what they say.

Cap damaged from loose clips.JPG
Rotor damaged from loose clips.JPG

The 123 weak cap springs are a common, ridiculous design flaw. Take some long nose pliers and bend the clip about halfway down to increase the “snap” pressure on the cap. Every year I redo this. Absurd that they continue to use this clip despite the numerous complaints over the years.

Well it is a good thing you gave yourself some shake out time and cruises before you meet up with Dirk and his posse. Perhaps one more Rocket Dog drive before you hit the road for real.

Steve

Fingers crossed Steve. I adjusted the float level again today, and it is still pouring fuel out of the venturi and when I add some fuel it starts pouring out of the accelerator pump nozzle as well. I have ordered a rebuild kit and also a base gasket to go back to a manual fuel pump.

Since I am waiting for parts to rebuild the carb and repair the distributor I decided to use the time to loosen and re-torque the head bolts. Also pulled the 123 Distributor when I found some oil present at the vacuum advance fitting. Distributor cleaned out and ready for the new rotor and cap.

123 Dist oil between plates.JPG
123 Dist oil at top of plate.JPG
123 Dist oil at vacuum.JPG

That’s strange to see it at the vacuum port. Did you check the little blue tube inside that it is still connected to the circuit board?

Back