Uk csl

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Did some csl's have chrome rear bumpers? I have some csl knowledge to gain. The coupeking reference to the lightweight version requires a followup as well. I thought that all csl's were light weight.

m73

Reaction score
Did some csl's have chrome rear bumpers? I have some csl knowledge to gain. The coupeking reference to the lightweight version requires a followup as well. I thought that all csl's were light weight.

'City-pack' (option)

Nash

Reaction score
CSLs

Markos,

Firstly, ok, all CSLs were lightweight.........now let the arguments begin as to what degree etc :)

In simple terms, in deferring degrees of lightness, you have...

169 Carb cars ( CSLs) these are the first CSLs and are seriously light in weight. Not only did they have lighter gauge steel, aluminum hood, trunk and door skins, they did not have any of the comforts other cars had. They also had Lexan ( plastic) rear windows and fiberglass rear bumper. I could bore everybody with other items, but its safe to say, these were the lightest.

429 LHD Injected CSL's, in very simple terms, these were in many different configurations, but majority, including some with steel door skins, were what was referred to as "city pack" cars. Depending on what "options" the car had, weight varies. Very very few are what are sometimes called Ultra -lightwieghts, which would put them at near the same weight as a Carb car.

Then they made 500 CSLs for the UK market, as this car above is. All 500 cars were built in the same "city pack" specification, my understanding is they all had the 4 aluminum panels and while often thought of as the heaviest "lightweights" I don't know how a LHD "City Pack" with all steel doors compares to a RHD with all 4 Aluminum panels.

110 Series one Batmobiles, all Polaris silver or Chamonix white, but many different configurations and weights.

57 Series two batmobiles.......many different configurations and colors, BMW would let you order whatever you wanted. So some have steel trunks ( to accommodate the rear wing) and even may have steel door skins, so weight varies dramatically.

In answer to your question.

Yes, all RHD CSLs had chrome bumpers.

Last edited:

CSL 1973

Reaction score
Nash,

Excellent summary!

For the CSL-interested, I can only add that for the 110 Bat series one, there were in total 109 Polaris or Chamonix cars. One car was painted in another color (client request color code 99).

Cheers
Henric

Nash

Reaction score
Thank you Henric,

Very kind praise from you sir :)

Nice to learn something as well, always nice to add a little to the knowledge base.

Nash

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Question for Henric

Hello Henric,

I agree very nice summary from Nash, hopefully this helps a few guys understand the CSL's a little better.

I have a question for you on this one series one Batmobile with the color code 99?

Has anybody tried to find out what that color was? I like to keep as up to date on everything to do with CSL's ( as some know) and this raises a very odd questions relating to one of my other BMWs.

I own the very first 2002 Turbo made, while I am very proud to own it and now be restoring it, a fundamental question was raised when researching its history.

BMW records say my car left the factory in color 99, what they refer to as a "special" color, I spent so so long trying to research this color, got very excited that it may have been - not only the first car, but a special color. I chased many dead ends and have now confirmed beyond all doubt, it left the factory in white, which for anybody who knows the history of 2002 Turbos, is not that "special" a color.

Therefore I would love to know if anybody has found that Bat chassis you refer to and if so, is it actually a different color?

Thanks for any help you can give this CSL crazy geek :)

italiangerman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Doesn't this car sell at the ask price in a NY minute if it is LHD?

Why nearly 40% of CSL production is for the Brits? Were they buying that % overall of BMW production in the 70s?

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, at that price

Hi Italiangerman,

Yes, absolutely, if the condition of this RHD CSL really is as it looks and is claimed, for a LHD in that condition a NY minute would be all it would take.

On the RHD CSL's My understanding is they came about because the English insisted BMW also make them some lightweights ( I think they moaned a little :) )but they wanted creature comforts, like electric windows, powers steering and real bumpers. Hence they were all made in exactly the same specification, namely "city pack", although a few different colors.

Here is where a funny anomaly arrives, most of the LHD CSL's are also "city pack" and some even had steel doors, yet everybody claims the RHD CSL's are the heaviest........I sometimes wonder?

Sadly, the brits really did struggle to sell these CSL's and while I can't tell you the number of E9 production that went to the UK, you can rest assured it was not anything like the production of CSLs they received.

Hope this helps

Pete

Last edited:

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Markos,

As an Englishman, we didn't see that show, so the funny never registered with me.

Pete

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
maybe an uninformed question, was the lower rear part of the dash tray in wood an option?