Verona, Granada

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello everyone. It has been a very long time since I was on this board, but I am finally getting my restoration moving again. (It has been an ongoing project since 2000.) Currently, the car is stripped and in primer, with major bodywork finished. There is a bit of minor bodywork left to finish, then it will be ready for final primer and paint.

This means I have to make the decision I have been avoiding for several years: what color? For years, I thought it would be Polaris. But now, looking at coupe photos with fresh eyes after a couple of years away, I really like the restored red cars. Especially the ones that have been done recently with modern paints, and are not faded after 35 years in the sun.

But photos on the computer only show so much. So the question is, does anyone have a car in Verona or Granada on the West Coast I can look at in person?

Attached are some photos from various stages of the restoration: 2004, 2006 and 2010.

Attachments

• rotisserie coupe 1.jpg
    rotisserie coupe 1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 418
  • coupe primer Nov 2006.jpg
    coupe primer Nov 2006.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 385
  • Interior May 10.jpg
    Interior May 10.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 373
  • May 10 2010.jpg
    May 10 2010.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 361

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Attachments

• Graff Red Coupe.jpg
    Graff Red Coupe.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 457

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

Granada is a bit more red and verona a bit towards the orange side of red I think. Wayne on this board (e9Wayne) has a Verona I believe and could send you some pics. His coupe is in this lineup from Carmel last year. I had to compres the file to upload here but could send you some higher resolution pics. Nice to see your coupe finally coming along, I hope you have a bigger garage than the time I came by looking at spare parts. If you want an even richer color there is always Malaga!

Attachments

• CIMG4007-1.JPG
    CIMG4007-1.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 372
  • CIMG4006-1.JPG
    CIMG4006-1.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 357

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. Is Wayne out on the west coast with his Verona coupe? Coupe King seems to have a couple on his website also.

And yes, I'm no longer in that one-car garage in Laguna Beach. Actually down in San Clemente now, with a 2 car garage that is nonetheless stuffed with coupe pieces.

kfrito789

Reaction score
I did "spray out's" on Verona Red and It didn't have the right pop. Ended up with Audi Brilliant Red. Same shades, just brighter.

Attachments

• Coupe in Audi Brilliant Red.jpg
    Coupe in Audi Brilliant Red.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 393

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Kfrito> how long has it been since you painted your coupe? Do you expect the color to hold up? I like the color but I'm worried about oxidation/fading with all of the red tones.

kfrito789

Reaction score
Car was painted about a month ago. Material is made by Standox, a great German paint company. I think they coined the phrase "Better Life thru Chemicals", Just kidding. The materials that are used today will outlast your coupe.

Bennett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Since you are in So. Cal. would should stop by Coupe King and check out the red coupe Peter is finishing (may be done and gone, who knows). I bought a polaris coupe from him and was very impressed by the red color of the car he was working on. George Carlin's former car. Much more attractive in person than the photos suggest.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And Peter has every color under the sun stashed somewhere in his warehouses, and color samples he has cut from cars over the years.

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Glad to hear Coupe King is still working on the Verona Carlin Coupe. I will have to go up and check it out. Was checking it out on the website earlier today, looks great. A couple of photos attached below.

Also a link:

http://www.coupeking.com/product_id-461.html

And we can add George Carlin to the list of celebrity coupe owners, along with Sandy Koufax, and (I think) Bill Cosby and Marlon Brando.

Attachments

• Carlin Verona.jpg
    Carlin Verona.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 419
  • Carlin 2.jpg
    Carlin 2.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 351

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You are welcome to check out my Verona, I am in northern California. The car is Verona from the factory and was repainted in the nineties using a single stage German paint I believe. A couple of years ago I had Dave Crawford do his clinic on the car, and the color that emerged was shiny, brighter, and perharps more orangish, good stuff. Here are a some pictures:

http://home.earthlink.net/~b_jamin/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/clinic4.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~b_jamin/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/clinic1.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~b_jamin/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/clinic10.jpg

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks Arde. So to be clear, the photos show Dave Crawford polishing the paint from the 90's respray? The result certainly is nice.

Yes, Dave is the one you see preparing the car, and you see the difference in shine. I have a bunch of pictures that show the color post Dave's work and it has held well as some of them are pretty recent. Check out:
http://picasaweb.google.com/elshark/CarStuff#

I was told that red colors suffer more fading from the sun exposure, but either red would have that issue.

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Another Wayne with Verona

In reply to HB Chris' point about my '73 CS being Verona and being at the Monterey event last year, that wasn't me, but I wish my car looked that good or Chris' Malaga restoration. So, I am "e9wayne" but there must be another wayne on the board Chris is refering to.

The irony here is that my car is now Nachtblau, but the factory record for my VIN shows it was Verona originally!

I'm also contemplating what to do with a repaint in the new few years since my paint is badly cracking. Personally, I'm a fan of the higher profile E9 colors like Ceylon (so 70s!).

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The car was originally Sahara, with tobacco interior. The first photo in my first post on this thread shows the original color. Because it's a bare-metal restoration, the car is now in primer and has not a trace of Sahara.

I've collected a complete cream-colored leather interior, though, which I think would be a nice combination with Verona.

I support Granada Red, however what was the original color of the car...?

Alice Couper

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm back...

Hi all,

My on-again, off-again restoration is on again...and actually making some progress. See photos. I decided to go with Verona and I'm very happy with how it is looking so far. The car has been primed and the engine bay and trunk have been painted with a preliminary treatment.

Next is the completion of final prep and block sanding of the exterior. Then final paint.

After that, the fun begins of trying to re-assemble a car that has been dismantled since 2003.

Attachments

• Coupe Engine Bay.jpg
    Coupe Engine Bay.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 393
  • Coupe Primer.jpg
    Coupe Primer.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 393
  • Coupe Trunk.jpg
    Coupe Trunk.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 364
  • Coupe Underside.jpg
    Coupe Underside.jpg