What did you do to your E3 today?

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Here are mine, Greg...
IMG_4912.JPG

I've seen as many Bavaries with them as not. There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to which got them and which didn't. Does anybody have an explanation? My car is July of 71 production, 72 model year.

Reactions: GPD

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick, thanks for doing the legwork on the images, all the kids are home from college so I did not jump on the request as fast as I wanted to.
I put mine over the grey plastic. It is held down with 3M strip caulk, I cut some SS screws to make it look like they are doing the job, did not want to make holes in the sill where there were none. Did yours have the holes?

Frederick, I just saw them for sale on Ebay but they were about $160 for the set, you can find them a bit cheaper but may take a while. They periodically come up for sale on the forum.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dick, thanks for doing the legwork on the images, all the kids are home from college so I did not jump on the request as fast as I wanted to.
I put mine over the grey plastic. It is held down with 3M strip caulk, I cut some SS screws to make it look like they are doing the job, did not want to make holes in the sill where there were none. Did yours have the holes?

Frederick, I just saw them for sale on Ebay but they were about $160 for the set, you can find them a bit cheaper but may take a while. They periodically come up for sale on the forum.
Thanks Bob, I was confused. I thought we were discussing the plastic thingies by the seats that cover the seat rails. I have the rocker pieces and they are pretty good.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Happy New year Dick. Those seats are spectacular, i am drooling. Who did them?
Happy new year to you, Frederick! Thanks.

The rear seat, and door panels are original. The front seat covers, carpet and headliner are from World. I had a local 1 man shop install the front seat covers and headliner. He did a great job. The Baikal Blue with the brown interior really pops. I would have never thought of that color combination.

chope97

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I decided to take my 73 to a local shop with an old owner named Sigy. I had met him at a car show in October and knew he had been around long enough to remember working on Bavaria’s (he says he has two sitting somewhere). I asked him if he knew someone who could replace the windshield gasket. He said he knew a guy who could replace it. I had a used gasket. I dropped the car off and his guy came in to look at it and noticed my used gasket had a tear in it and he said he could not use it, bummer. My car was not running badly it had come a long way in my four years of ownership but sometimes it is good to have someone else look at it, so while the car was at his shop I asked Sigy if he could look at adjusting the carbs and timing. I know how to do this stuff but I just didn't have the time right now to mess with it. Well let me tell you he tinkered with the car for a week and when I came to pick it up it was running like butter. It started right up and ran great idle was lower, he got the timing right. When I drove it home a guy in a modern car pulled up next to me and tried to blow by me, with very little effort I stayed with him all the way to the next stop light, the faster he went the faster I went. All I can say is wow. When I went to pick up the he was finishing up on 73 e9 head replacement job. I will be taking my 71 there for a carb adjustment and timing setting when the snow leaves D.C. If you have an old BMW in the D.C. area take it to Sigy's BMW in Rockville MD.

tspot100

Reaction score
what did i do to my E3 today?
i shoveled the snow off its cover.
made mistake of driving my old 73 3.0s in the winter 20+ years ago and it rusted amazingly fast. the others are sleeping til spring.
envious of you all who can drive theirs year round

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Happy new year to you, Frederick! Thanks.

The rear seat, and door panels are original. The front seat covers, carpet and headliner are from World. I had a local 1 man shop install the front seat covers and headliner. He did a great job. The Baikal Blue with the brown interior really pops. I would have never thought of that color combination.
Good morning, I continue with dismantling. Question, does this need to go back on or can I substitute some other form of insulation or soundproofing?
I tried to remove intact, but it was stuck, glued old and brittle.
F1873E48-CCF1-4ADC-B6A6-6FEB7DCDCBFA_1_105_c.jpeg

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If that is #8 in this illustration...

View attachment 133732

...I would think come of the adhesive backed sound/heat insulation would work fine.

Yes, #8. Same cardboard stuff as 2,3 and 5. Some of the #7 stuff(soundproofing tar?) came off with it and I have seen restorers remove that material with some difficulty. I suppose they remove it to ensure no rust underneath. Thank you.