What did you do to your E9 today?

Wobdog

a.k.a Mike
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Went to a high end cars and coffee, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini , Mclaren ect. After I got back to my car from walking around I found a small crowd around my car in a heated discussion many searching the internet on phones. Turns out my two tone paint job confused them and arrived just in time to settle the debate. They thought it was a special limited addition Alpina. My Ferrari friend, that invited me, was amused with all the beautiful cars mine had the crowd

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
I went to a C&C Saturday. Full of red cars, silver Porches and blonds, maybe with face lifts, driving Lambos. I think it was a contest of who has the biggest one and look what I have. No one that I noticed even had a clue what my six was. On the other hand there is another C&C every weekend with a different venue. One is Porches, the next is vintage European cars and then Adventure Machines and of course VW's. There I get a lot of interest at the vintage European Not very many red cars there but a bunch of turbo'd ricers and people that ask intelligent questions

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Finally, after messing up many a friend's driveway, I replaced my rear main seal.

There are few car related things as satisfying as (finally) sliding the tranny up tighty against the back of the engine block. And this time, I won't require six weeks of physical therapy on my shoulder!

Last edited:

BarneyT

Site Donor
Reaction score
Put the rear seats in…

Attachments

• 922FE029-6427-4760-B36F-BDA0A3AB561F.jpeg
    922FE029-6427-4760-B36F-BDA0A3AB561F.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 163
  • A4F42D27-1D6B-4E96-8F72-D5EC54A0946C.jpeg
    A4F42D27-1D6B-4E96-8F72-D5EC54A0946C.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 141

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have started to work on replacements for the zenith carburetors. I sourced several Weber DCOM's, all of which are now torn down for evaluation and repair. @Stevehose has been an invaluable resource, providing advice and his current jetting to enable me to have a baseline of the various chokes and jets within the carbs!

The carbs have all been vapor honed after dis-assembly to clean up and prepare all the components prior to re-assembly. Parts are arriving next week, so that will allow the process to re-start. Below are some pictures before and after vapor honing.

IMG_5232.JPG
IMG_5241.JPG
IMG_5239.JPG

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Driving home from the Wheels car show,I went over something on the road at a high speed that was a jolt to the suspension. The A/C fan started making a racket at any speed.
I took the grill off the driver's side center console to inspect the fan. It was not concentric with the plastic end housing. I inserted a screwdriver(w/o a red handle) and moved the fan cage slightly toward the 2 o'clock position. The noise is now gone, but I know the entire motor will have to be secured to the housing. That project will have to wait until after Highland Motoring Festival. The Turk was accepted for the big event on Saturday.

Attachments

• IMG_4216(1).jpg
    IMG_4216(1).jpg
    420.6 KB · Views: 77

CTD

Reaction score
Today I replaced the aluminium trim that sits on top of the rear side window. I always hated the look of the ends of these, how they are always messed up and never fit nicely under the drip rail.
I made these pieces myself using the old ones as a template. I also used aluminium that is almost twice as thick.

They fit nicely under the drip rail and the windows still work flawlessly.

Here is a before and after:

Attachments

• IMG20230501153825.jpg
    IMG20230501153825.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG20230501173433.jpg
    IMG20230501173433.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG20230501153806.jpg
    IMG20230501153806.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 131

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I trimmed the alu strips when installing mine, now all of them fit snugly to the roof, haven’t installed drip rail just yet.

John H.

Site Donor
Reaction score
Was back in SoCal last week and was lucky enough to grab lunch and two beers with HB Chris. Got to see the progress on the 'other' Orange County chamonix and was able to purchase and install (with Chris's help) Euro front turn signal glass! The man is an expert with a portable dremel. Timed at 2 minutes per side. The result is amazing in my opinion, but then again, I could rest my Red Bulls on the old ones... He also assisted in parts ID, a handy bolt for the drivers side armrest, and commentary on all things coupe. Paid for with lunch and good stories. Win/Win!

Attachments

• Chris 1.png
    Chris 1.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 96
  • Chris 2.png
    Chris 2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • Chris 3.png
    Chris 3.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
  • Chris 4.png
    Chris 4.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 89

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Disassembled the Webers for a good cleaning, replacement gaskets, fresh blingy fasteners, and some mods to hopefully alleviate a fuel starvation issue when taking a hard right turn at low revs.
Steve, what do you think might be the cause of the starvation on hard right turns? Float level, inlet valve size?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve, what do you think might be the cause of the starvation on hard right turns? Float level, inlet valve size?
@Ohmess and I think it may have something to do with the tilt of my VGS manifold which is designed to clear the brake booster with no mods, not actually the carbs themselves. Since they are off the car I am making some mods to them to address this. I have read that other Weber models can have similar issues on Porsches and the fix is to make a baffle in the fuel well to keep the fuel from sloshing away from the fuel inlet. On DCOM’s the idle jets get their fuel from the emulsion tube not the well like DCOE’s so they are sensitive to this issue, compounded by the tilt. It only happens with the foot off the gas during a hard right turn. So I have studied the fuel well and made some changes.

First I enlarged the areas where the main jets get their fuel, the theory here is that more fuel will be there during the turn. I drilled them out (dicey operation) and have gained at least 50% more volume. The red gives an idea of existing metal to remove (this is looking from the bottom of the carb flipped over so this entire area is normally immersed in gas):

IMG_3248.jpeg

Removed (I also enlarged the 4 fuel supply holes):

IMG_3264.jpeg

Then I made a baffle plate and installed to the side and forward a little in the direction of the fuel from the centrifugal force of deceleration and turning right. Hopefully this will keep more fuel at the inlets during this scenario (similar to the baffle in the oil pan) . So this will either do nothing, solve it, or I’ll be shopping for new carbs :D

IMG_3279.jpeg

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the shout out Steve. Both of these fixes look like they will help. Please report back on how they work.