Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought her a playmate!

rdIZUqj.jpg

RhhS1F4.jpg

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score
You will love that car!! I have never seen that interior color before, it's beautiful with dark blue interior. Is it an 'individual' car?

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
You will love that car!! I have never seen that interior color before, it's beautiful with dark blue interior. Is it an 'individual' car?

Yep. Individual with extended ecru leather and anthracite birch trim. Every option available from factory, original down to the running in stickers on the windshield and air cleaner!

Dohn

Reaction score
Beautiful color combination! I had an e46 M3. Great car, with plenty of power! Mine wasn't a convertible, or RHD, and my wheel was right side up, but other than that...

coupelady

Reaction score
I replaced a stripped driver side rear window transmission.
Fun job, I've gotten pretty efficient with replacing these, it's the third one I've done on that window.
Wow, I have been thinking about doing that as the rear windows are very slow, maybe as I use them less. Did you replace the entire mechanism or just the white transmission gear?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wow, I have been thinking about doing that as the rear windows are very slow, maybe as I use them less. Did you replace the entire mechanism or just the white transmission gear?

The transmission box with the worm & nylon gear. I adjusted the window cassette as well as clean everything and the window still makes a terrible racket, so I leave the rear windows up most of the time.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If your windows are slow they need to be removed and the tracks cleaned and regreased. A new gear wont do anything if it still manages to get the window up and down, albeit slowly. There are threads on this in great detail.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If you do the e28 window motor upgrade, you will NOT be sorry. The up or down time for my OE '74 motors was ~20 seconds for each window. With the e28 motors, it is now 6 seconds for each window ( I also cleaned the mechanisms when I installed the e28 motors). Both of those times was the same whether the engine was running or not. Moderately fast windows makes the car seem so MUCH MORE MODERN!! - HA.

Gary--

coupelady

Reaction score
Pretty direct plug in swap? I haven't looked at them since the restoration 26 years ago when we did cleaning an lube plus we turned around the white plastic gear to expose better teeth. I feel that they there is dirt and such for sure. I have 2 motors from a Bavaria that I have in the parts stash. I have seen motor swaps that made the door panel really bulge out as well, not sure which car they came out of. Last time I rolled the rears down I thought I'd have to use the window comb.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Amy, i imagine that a good cleaning + lube will do a world of good. i would do a search and find the threads (that Stevehose mentions) on rewiring the window motors with direct power feed from the battery with a relay, just using the switches to control the motor. there are also similar threads on direct power to the headlights that will significantly increase the brightness. IMHO these are two of the best updates you can do to our coupes.