What did you do to your E9 today?

Michael Kaye

Site Donor
Reaction score
Stephen is correct. Since my garage is unheated and uninsulated I will have to learn when to run the dehumidifier as the temperatures drop. Freezing of the unit itself and the drain hose to the outside may be an issue. Fortunately, I can switch my dehumidifier on and off from inside the house. The garage is detached.

I'd appreciated any experience anyone has with a dehumidifier and a situation similar to mine. My wife is right, I treat my coupe like an aging starlet.
And we know how high maintenance they are.

Steve

Thanks guys for the advice. I’ve posted a question in the Humidifier thread referenced above, so as I don’t usurp this thread’s purpose.

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Attended German Car Day, North Vancouver. An annual. Not many events for the older BMWs here, so a great chance to catch up with Stphers and others. 2 Coupes, 1 from Oregon, then mine. A few 2002tiis, and then all those other newer models that I have difficulty decoding. Lovely, sunny, hot day. BTW, not 1, 6 speed E9 in attendance ;)

IMG_1896.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

Last edited:

Honolulu

Reaction score
Stan: I got a CS Registry badge and assumed the owner was at one time one of us. In that case he should have registered, but I will check. I looked for the VIN on the right inner fender but it was too rusted. I had more to do than try to expose the number on the motor flange by the starter. I may get the VIN from the owner yet as I borrowed a few sockets and need to return them.

Knew someone would ask about that.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I completed the restoration of a set of 7 and 8" Weds wheels I bought from @Markos last winter. A lot of time and work to remove lots of baked on brake dust on the inner barrels (used oven cleaner) and to remove the anodizing then polish the front barrels (used same process described earlier for my windshield aluminum trim surround). Also changed the face from grey metallic powder coat to Wurth metallic silver. I'm VERY happy with the results.Weds rims 3.0 CS 013.JPGWeds rims 3.0 CS 014.JPGWeds rims 3.0 CS 016.JPG

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Amazing job @Gary Knox!!! These wheels have gone from meh (purchased), to ok (Markos), to amazing (Gary). It really shows that wheels can be restored well by DiY’ers if they put in the elbow grease. It doesn’t cost much money but takes a stupid amount of time and determination. I pretty much do everything myself but I just can’t get the motivation to polish aluminum the way that you have. :D Good job on the paint!

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Amazing job @Gary Knox!!! These wheels have gone from meh (purchased), to ok (Markos), to amazing (Gary). It really shows that wheels can be restored well by DiY’ers if they put in the elbow grease. It doesn’t cost much money but takes a stupid amount of time and determination. I pretty much do everything myself but I just can’t get the motivation to polish aluminum the way that you have. :D Good job on the paint!
Correct Mark - I probably have at least 3-4 hours per wheel, and a total of about $60 in materials (sandpaper (600-2500 grit), buffing pads and materials, and Killer Chrome). But, a lot more satisfying and cheaper than sending them out. Since I disassembled, re-assembled, I'm confident everything is correctly done as well.

Thanks for making them available at an attractive price.

Gary

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure Connor at Vintage Autobahn has the trap mirrors. I’ve seen them and they are very nice.

Ed
Could you post a photo of a trap mirror and a flag mirror? I probably have flags but not sure. Thanks.

And speaking of emergency brakes, after a buddy replaced the ugly EB rubber boot with a leather boot I did the same. Something BMW should have done originally. But the cost-cutting had already begun, exhibit A: The additional wood on the dash of RHD cars versus the cheap vinyl on our LHD cars.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Could you post a photo of a trap mirror and a flag mirror? I probably have flags but not sure. Thanks.

And speaking of emergency brakes, after a buddy replaced the ugly EB rubber boot with a leather boot I did the same. Something BMW should have done originally. But the cost-cutting had already begun, exhibit A: The additional wood on the dash of RHD cars versus the cheap vinyl on our LHD cars.
FOOTNOTE: I was just looking at the blue 2000 CS. It is LHD and has the full wood dash. So BMW even made our LHD dashes in full wood and then gave us a vinyl strip instead. Cheap bastards! One of many things I will never forgive them for.