What is the casting date on the block, looks like an early oil pan with minimal splash panels.
When typewriters were still in common use, conventional wisdom and auto parts manufacturers typically recommended yearly changes of ignition points, spark plugs, condensers, rotors, etc. This was despite an understanding that most of those parts were perfectly serviceable. Economic considerations of the time made such drudgery “acceptable” and "inexpensive" insurance against future breakdowns and repairs.I would not have believed that the points and properly running ignition have such a broad reach.
I had been observing some small differences and odd behavior over the year, but with a 50+ year old car this can have multiple reasons, so I am super delighted about having my beloved E9 back in shape and running better than before!
Note to self: if you encounter mysterious behavior, consider changing your points.
View attachment 226817
To quote Rob Siegal: "It's always the points."two weeks ago I had a strange encounter getting out of the garage.
I was driving 100 meters, when all of of a sudden the engine would stumble, no acceleration, RPMs would jump from idle to 1500 and then drop to 0, ...Suddenly the engine died and on starting would only run in idle. I got back to the garage, and then the car would not start any more...
I checked fuel pump, carbs, accelerator pump, power to coil and carbs.... and a ton of other things --
in the end got help from my shop:
they quickly found the culprit -the Bosch points (new - installed about 2 years ago) had a hidden break in the wire, that had started to creep in and get more and more prominent, until the points stopped working.
Out with the old, in with the new! Luckily, I had acquired some high quality original BMW NOS points a while ago.
With the NOS points in, the car runs like new - the idle is super-stable , it starts up right at the turn of the ignition, and it accelerates and the auto shifts smoothly again like new....
I would not have believed that the points and properly running ignition have such a broad reach.
I had been observing some small differences and odd behavior over the year, but with a 50+ year old car this can have multiple reasons, so I am super delighted about having my beloved E9 back in shape and running better than before!
Note to self: if you encounter mysterious behavior, consider changing your points.
Foot note: Will swap to 123 ignition going forward .
View attachment 226817
Very interesting, just two days ago I completed my return to points after my 40 year old Crane electronic ignition blew a transistor and cooked my ignition coil. I Replaced the coil, rewired as per original, installed new points, adjusted timing, car starts right up, idles great. Mine is a CSA too, and in its first drive after all of this, I could not believe the smoothness and liveliness the car was now showing me. Idle, in gear, at a stoplight was "modern car" like. I mean it was impressive! Miketwo weeks ago I had a strange encounter getting out of the garage.
I was driving 100 meters, when all of of a sudden the engine would stumble, no acceleration, RPMs would jump from idle to 1500 and then drop to 0, ...Suddenly the engine died and on starting would only run in idle. I got back to the garage, and then the car would not start any more...
I checked fuel pump, carbs, accelerator pump, power to coil and carbs.... and a ton of other things --
in the end got help from my shop:
they quickly found the culprit -the Bosch points (new - installed about 2 years ago) had a hidden break in the wire, that had started to creep in and get more and more prominent, until the points stopped working.
Out with the old, in with the new! Luckily, I had acquired some high quality original BMW NOS points a while ago.
With the NOS points in, the car runs like new - the idle is super-stable , it starts up right at the turn of the ignition, and it accelerates and the auto shifts smoothly again like new....
I would not have believed that the points and properly running ignition have such a broad reach.
I had been observing some small differences and odd behavior over the year, but with a 50+ year old car this can have multiple reasons, so I am super delighted about having my beloved E9 back in shape and running better than before!
Note to self: if you encounter mysterious behavior, consider changing your points.
Foot note: Will swap to 123 ignition going forward .
View attachment 226817
now that looks like MASSIVE cooling powerPicked up my adjusted cooling tank and custom made radiator. Fits perfectly in the noose, still overthinking how to attach the radiator to the chassis.
It is indeed upside down on the picture, it’s mounted correct, see my post under projects. And also the bracket indeed modified to mount it, so on purposeRad pic is upside down? Lower outlet is higher, was that needed? Expansion tank bracket modified to mount it?
It is indeed upside down on the picture, it’s mounted correctsee my post under projects.
I have calculated it back from the original m5 radiator so indeed it has even a bit more cooling capacity in terms of core size then the original m5 radiator. Which is a know issue on these engines when you drive them hard.now that looks like MASSIVE cooling power
Because we all know the water flows the other direction down there...That’s how they mount them in Australia
Trying to fix 50 years of warpage ( not sure if that is a real work) on my trim panel.View attachment 227282
Nice, I have ordered my personalized plate. I need to do some flocking. Where can I get the flock?Put in new distributor, a bit of faffing about trying to see the timing mark past all of the heater hoses. Boroscope to the rescue but getting the strobe to flash down there likewise hard. But done now!
And the car got its new license plate, so it’s official. The DOT let me use my personalized 1972 style plate to register it as a collector vehicle so no more yearly registration fee! And this is now a real registered plate.
Do I have to remove all of the old flocking from my glove box?At Flock It!, of course. Or Rockler (woodworking store, there’s likely one near you)
Suede-Tex Nylon Mini Flock Kit (#745)
www.flockit.com
If it looks good then don't do anything. If it looks 50-years-old worn out then yes. A bit of an annoyance. You can't easily flock over the old stuff because i don't think the adhesive will stick to it or if it does it will look clumpy. Welcome to another afternoon lost.Do I have to remove all of the old flocking from my glove box?