What do you all think about that CSL on BringATrailer?

CSfan

Reaction score
Revange is best serve on a cold dish

coupeguy said:
Consider who is selling this car, and who either owned it previously or is having the Pomona seller sell it for him. Who else could it possibly be in Pomona other than the infamous Ben Miller of CSi and 2002ad fame? I know the car did belong to david baker in Oroville, CA and ben miller is one of his best (only?) friends. Baker lied and cheated me on a car purchase which was one of the most blatant cases in my experience of someone misrepresenting a car. Baker owned the car, and now Miller is selling it. Miller is also one of the people who has cheated, lied and stolen from me. All in the line of E9 business.

Would you like there leg's broken?

chicane

Reaction score
Bring a Trailer? You'd better bring an investment banker if you plan on purchasing that thing... :)

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Re:CSL

pamp said:
dp, where have I gone wrong? Quit drinking ? What ? I believe the TV is from Las Vegas
don't be a dill, pamp :shock: Barrett-Jackson's main event is held every year in Scottsdale. Guess you didn't know that huh? This year it is January 12-18. Go check it out, then come back and tell us whats going on there 8)

gpetrus

Reaction score
The 2 biggest reasons for inflated prices in years past at Barrett-Jackson, were the job trailer that MBNA extended their lines of credit from and the bidder's bar. The alcolhol isn't likely to make up for the diminished willingness to extend credit this year.

pamp

Reaction score
Barrett-Jackson

I would love to go to Scottsdale, if for nothing else but get warmed up from our cold B.C. winter. My only points being were a)$300,000 for a used Mustang seems extreme to me, yet b) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and c)Where and how someone spends their children's inheritance is their own business. And finally d) Please keep a sense of humor

coupeguy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Re: Revange is best serve on a cold dish

CSfan said:
coupeguy said:
Consider who is selling this car, and who either owned it previously or is having the Pomona seller sell it for him. Who else could it possibly be in Pomona other than the infamous Ben Miller of CSi and 2002ad fame? I know the car did belong to david baker in Oroville, CA and ben miller is one of his best (only?) friends. Baker lied and cheated me on a car purchase which was one of the most blatant cases in my experience of someone misrepresenting a car. Baker owned the car, and now Miller is selling it. Miller is also one of the people who has cheated, lied and stolen from me. All in the line of E9 business.

Would you like there leg's broken?

I would not shed a tear if I heard they were no longer among the ambulatory.

d-ace

Reaction score
$180K is exceptionally high even for a pristine CSL even though there were less than 300 made each year over the few years these cars were made. These CS, CSI, CSL BMW’s correctly restored or just not drove at all and garaged since the 1970’s are extremely under priced for the model that got BMW going and beyond the box look.
I have a CSI I restored over years of work and had two well known body shops that specialize in restoration appraisers the car. Both said just the work and materials if you could find them now days was over $45,000 just two months ago.
Any of these cars well taken care of over the years or correctly restored and there is only about 10% of what was made back then still in that category will only go up in price basically because there is only about 1000 left worldwide.
I saw yesterday at Barrett-Jackson a late 1950’s Packer sold for $141K and that is not even close to the performance of a CS BMW.
Anyone that owns a correctly restored or just not drove CS, CSI, CSL BMW just put it back in a plastic car bag for now their getting very hard to find especially rust free.

chicane

Reaction score
d-ace said:
$180K is exceptionally high even for a pristine CSL even though there were less than 300 made each year over the few years these cars were made. These CS, CSI, CSL BMW’s correctly restored or just not drove at all and garaged since the 1970’s are extremely under priced for the model that got BMW going and beyond the box look.
I have a CSI I restored over years of work and had two well known body shops that specialize in restoration appraisers the car. Both said just the work and materials if you could find them now days was over $45,000 just two months ago.
Any of these cars well taken care of over the years or correctly restored and there is only about 10% of what was made back then still in that category will only go up in price basically because there is only about 1000 left worldwide.
I saw yesterday at Barrett-Jackson a late 1950’s Packer sold for $141K and that is not even close to the performance of a CS BMW.
Anyone that owns a correctly restored or just not drove CS, CSI, CSL BMW just put it back in a plastic car bag for now their getting very hard to find especially rust free.

And the reason for you re-posting the exact same message is?

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4530

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
d-ace said:
chicane said:
And the reason for you re-posting the exact same message is?

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4530

seller, or seller's friend/cohort/croney, or an owner/"investor"/speculator

Gentle readers, if all the talk about money drives prices by bringing in "investors", it'll ruin the ability to enjoy these cars as driving machines. Oh well, it's more fun to watch auctions on t.v. from the corpulent comfort of the sofa anyways, right?

d-ace

Reaction score
OK then if posting in two different threads “CSL for sale” and “What do you all think about that CSL on BringATrailer?” is such a concern I won’t do that again on this board. I see this keyboard aggression on many boards now days, but it does do much on the subject matter of performance, does it?
Driving cars and restored cars are two different subjects on price. I have worked on and fully restored many BMW’S over the years TII, CS, CSI, Euro 635CSI done correct a person needs to get paid for their work or no one is going to do it any more. Just paint and upholstery and a new stereo is the price of one car. Although when you open up the rocket panels check the floor and wheel-wells on any CS coupe I have seen even 20 years ago most are ready for the junkyard and not safe to drive that’s why you get what you pay for.

chicane

Reaction score
d-ace said:
OK then if posting in two different threads “CSL for sale” and “What do you all think about that CSL on BringATrailer?” is such a concern I won’t do that again on this board. I see this keyboard aggression on many boards now days, but it does do much on the subject matter of performance, does it?
Driving cars and restored cars are two different subjects on price. I have worked on and fully restored many BMW’S over the years TII, CS, CSI, Euro 635CSI done correct a person needs to get paid for their work or no one is going to do it any more. Just paint and upholstery and a new stereo is the price of one car. Although when you open up the rocket panels check the floor and wheel-wells on any CS coupe I have seen even 20 years ago most are ready for the junkyard and not safe to drive that’s why you get what you pay for.

What really irks (many) members of the group as much as anything are as many people who show up here trying to sell something as those who want to talk about coupes.

The bottom line on this and other coupes as far as valuation are concerned is:

1. A decent to very nice Coupe will run you 15K to 35K
1. A decent to very nice CSL will run you 50K to 85K
2. A rare CSL "Bat" or even more rare Alpina CSL will get you into the six figures (in very good to premo condition).

People asking crazy money for some of these cars do nothing to increase the values of our coupes and only serve to confuse and obfuscate the intrinsic value of our cars.

RonP

Reaction score
2. A rare CSL "Bat" or even more rare Alpina CSL will get you into the six figures (in very good to premo condition).

What qualifes you to spit out these numbers? Are you in the "Coupe" business? I am just wondering here as you seem to be an expert on everything that comes up for sale on this board. What coupe do you own, and can we see some pictures of it? What condition is it in, and what do you think it's worth?

And it's PRIMO, not premo.

chicane

Reaction score
RonP said:

What qualifes you to spit out these numbers? Are you in the "Coupe" business? I am just wondering here as you seem to be an expert on everything that comes up for sale on this board. What coupe do you own, and can we see some pictures of it? What condition is it in, and what do you think it's worth?

And it's PRIMO, not premo.

My qualification are based on actual auction and private sales values. I have an E9 as well as 2 M3's and another 3 series....what does my coupe valuation knowledge have to do with what BMW's I own? I can read and I can reason and can tell the difference between actual sales figures and PRIMO bloviating.

Oh, here are some great links:

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...972&m=1026&d=1478&c=13&vi=62458&z=90210&da=-1

http://www.sportscarmarket.com/ (search on CSL)

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
RonP said:

What qualifes you to spit out these numbers? Are you in the "Coupe" business? I am just wondering here as you seem to be an expert on everything that comes up for sale on this board. What coupe do you own, and can we see some pictures of it? What condition is it in, and what do you think it's worth? And it's PRIMO, not premo.

Hey Ron, at worst, Chicane's no more or less "qualified" than you are...if only because a few more of us are more familiar with him than are familiar with you. And frankly, I personally (as we as perhaps others) would consider those Chicane price ranges generous. We already know and questionedf what numbers you've thrown out, and I don't think we've seen a reply. For all I know you could be the Good Lord's gift to coupe-dom, but since we've never crossed paths, I have to ask: "Are you any more qualified to question Chicane?"

Dale_"unclicking the notify me box on this thread"_Phelps

chicane

Reaction score
dp said:
RonP said:

What qualifes you to spit out these numbers? Are you in the "Coupe" business? I am just wondering here as you seem to be an expert on everything that comes up for sale on this board. What coupe do you own, and can we see some pictures of it? What condition is it in, and what do you think it's worth? And it's PRIMO, not premo.

Hey Ron, at worst, Chicane's no more or less "qualified" than you are...if only because a few more of us are more familiar with him than are familiar with you. And frankly, I personally (as we as perhaps others) would consider those Chicane price ranges generous. We already know and questionedf what numbers you've thrown out, and I don't think we've seen a reply. For all I know you could be the Good Lord's gift to coupe-dom, but since we've never crossed paths, I have to ask: "Are you any more qualified to question Chicane?"

Dale_"unclicking the notify me box on this thread"_Phelps

Yup, I'm still waiting for those VIN's...:).

RonP

Reaction score
Well, I have owned over 70 BMWs since 1979, worked for BMW from 1986 to 1997, have sold over 3000 BMWs, have aquired 15 concours trophies, and 6 magazine articles. I own 9 BMWs now and follow the market daily. From my experience, the N.A.D.A. guide is just that....a guide! If you don't believe me, just go to a dealership and see what they will give you (based on the guide) for your coveted coupe, or otherwise.

I have given several recent sales of coupes to validate my "findings" on values of recently sold e9s, but it seems to fall on deaf ears on this forum.

Do I think I am an expert? No! Those are my qualifications though and I don't see any other qualifications from my original question from Chicane other than some non-qual website, and from my experience here, nothing bu negative rhetoric. I still ask myself why I even bother to reply to a keyboard "know it all", but I still feel compelled to respond to the rest of the E9 owners that want to belive that their beloved coupe has actually gone up in value.

I don't need this post nor forum to keep my thinking straight that the E9 is one of the most under-valued collector cars on the market today, and if it were up to most of the naysayers here, they wouldn't be worth squat ....EVER!

So, with that said, I will exit this thread. But......I would sure like to see pictures and details of Chicane's coupe!!!! Inquiring minds want to look.

pamp

Reaction score
Indeed... An expert... an "ex" is a has been. A "spurt" is a drip under pressure. Like Ron, my experience starts, hands on, late 70's. My one and only is written into my will never to be sold while I live... 'nuf said

chicane

Reaction score
RonP said:
Well, I have owned over 70 BMWs since 1979, worked for BMW from 1986 to 1997, have sold over 3000 BMWs, have aquired 15 concours trophies, and 6 magazine articles. I own 9 BMWs now and follow the market daily. From my experience, the N.A.D.A. guide is just that....a guide! If you don't believe me, just go to a dealership and see what they will give you (based on the guide) for your coveted coupe, or otherwise.

I have given several recent sales of coupes to validate my "findings" on values of recently sold e9s, but it seems to fall on deaf ears on this forum.

Do I think I am an expert? No! Those are my qualifications though and I don't see any other qualifications from my original question from Chicane other than some non-qual website, and from my experience here, nothing bu negative rhetoric. I still ask myself why I even bother to reply to a keyboard "know it all", but I still feel compelled to respond to the rest of the E9 owners that want to belive that their beloved coupe has actually gone up in value.

I don't need this post nor forum to keep my thinking straight that the E9 is one of the most under-valued collector cars on the market today, and if it were up to most of the naysayers here, they wouldn't be worth squat ....EVER!

So, with that said, I will exit this thread. But......I would sure like to see pictures and details of Chicane's coupe!!!! Inquiring minds want to look.

The N.A.D.A. has been around for over 90 years and has assisted millions of people and thousands of dealers in valuating their automobiles. Their valuations are compiled from ACTUAL sales information.

N.A.D.A. is also not the only tool I use Sports Car Market Magazine is also a wonderful tool and backs up N.A.D.A. valuation.

I have no idea who you are, I have never heard of you.

My coupe is receiving an extensive overhaul. Would you like to see my ///M's?

pamp

Reaction score
Gloves off boys,
How about an edit to profile i.e geographic location, occupation, interests, etc. Makes the bitch match more interesting.
chicane, you are O.C. Insults abound in your posts. Who are you?

[/u]