What do you do for a living?...

Daxklynsmith

Reaction score
Pshychrunner, is your passenger seat a couch??
I'm also amazed at the depth of friendship and talent on this board.
I tend to monitor a lot of discussion boards and this is the ONLY one that never seems to have personal attacks or major bitchiness.
I'm trying to remember but I think this is the 8th year I've been reading this board at least twice a week??
What was that about obsession??
In my fully lived, minimal regrets life there are some bits of paper that cost a lot of waitering, Bar-tending ,Ambulance driving, all at night and holidays , they also included an education in drinking, carousing , partying and a lot of grey hairs for the fathers of a lot of young ladies.
The most accurate description of what I do and love is that I'm a salesman, it took me 9 years of my life in Advertising to realise that,
I have had and an absolute ball for the past 32 years finding niche markets and products to serve those markets .The latest was 3 years ago when I moved my family from South Africa to Ireland and restarted afresh.
I was determined to fund everything I did without cashing in any of my investments in Africa and so far so good!!
There's bread in the bread tin, the occassional bottle of jam, an E9 in the garage , lots of toys, lots of new tools.

My new project is to increase global warming in Ireland and to this end I am concentrating on releasing any stray CFC's I can find and burning as much rubber as there is available.
It's a big project to get Ireland to be sub-tropical but anything is possible! right?? Right??

jhjacobs

Reaction score
Daxklynsmith - Your post reminded me of a cartoon I saw recently showing two women and one was saying "I hate to admit it but men with a big carbon footprint make me hot!"

germanbodyman

Reaction score
I grew up in a small town along the Rhine river in Germany. My family owned a nursery were all the family members were involved. At age 11 my uncle taught me stick welding, when I was 13 I built my first 50 cc go kart. I always helped my older brother when he worked on his cars. In high school we ha a "practicum" program and I spend 2 weeks at a Ford dealership with the automotive mechanics. Even 20 years ago the automotive mechanics didn't repair a lot of parts, most items were replaced. That was not what I wanted to do.
So I did an apprenticeship as a collision repair technician. After the apprenticeship I did 4 years of military duty and repaired Sikorsky CH 53G helicopters. During the military time I operated a customizing body shop. When I moved to Canada I went "back to the roots": I'm working at a luxury auto body shop repairing mostly Mercedes Benz (we are a dealer ship), BMW, Porsche, Audi, Jaguar, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin and some Japanese high end cars.
From reading though this tread it appears I am the only guy that's "wrenching for a living".
Sadly these days 25 year old "young adults" don't even know what they want to do to make a living. A couple years ago I trained a "Kid" that was only 2 years younger than me. All he ever did in his life was working small retail jobs that could never support a family. At the time this "kid" couldn't believe the things I've done in my life and was speechless when he found out the knowledge and skills I have, go figure.

Martin

taylor2800

Reaction score
I grew up in Raleigh NC attending the number one party school at the time (east carolina university). I enjoy hunting, fishing, long walks on the beach........... oh wait a second, wrong forum :D . Worked many years as a factory rep in the custom modular field. Transitioned 3 years ago into general contracting. have built many homes using both modular and slow build techniques. First bmw was a 533i in school. currently have a 70' 2800cs
and a 80' 635csi euro.

x_atlas0

Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted in this thread, so I thought an update is in order.

I graduated GaTech as a MechE in May 07, went to work for the power distribution consultants I was working for before. Trying to save for grad school.

Unfortunately for me, my undergrad GPA (2.82 full, 3.05 last 2 years / 60 hrs) seems to have made me virtually un-Masters-able by most colleges, even with me 600V, 780M, and 5W GRE scroes, and it is killing me. Tech has, so far, done everything but boot me out the door. So... I'm trying to figure out what to do.

Anybody need a MechE? :lol:

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey x_atlas0, don't give up.
It doesn't seem like too long ago that me and my not great GPA (comes with living in Newport Beach while "attending" college) had some trouble getting into grad school. I've been a college professor for a few years. Now, I'm the guy reviewing applications and interviewing students. Although many of my peers will disagree, GPA is not the whole story. There are programs out there that look at the whole person. Good luck.

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
18 years hard labor

What the heck do I do, what is my purpose? 18 years now making the world go around, physicly I don't know how we do it every year, play santa, and look good doing it. Brown trucks I dispatch them all 47 of them sometimes 51 or 52 when the elves are real busy in my neigborhood! We even service Double02 Salvage, for those that have the need to fix the old in favor of saving what is left of the planet. I hate to be doom, and gloom over here, but at this point I think we all feel the squeeze... I should have been a Day Trader with the hours that I keep, like I am the gambler...! At the very least I feel a whole lot better after working on rusting metal hulks, german in general, something about them you can always take them apart an put them back together, and they work.... Prior to 18 years hard labor, I turned wrenchs here, and there for a few years, then decided mid 70's and 80's cars were almost all designed to fail with all those hoses, and valves, so I decide logic was a good course of action work, work, work, save, save, save, at the salt plant, it pays the bills, it allows me to look on the bright side of things, and sometimes apply my mechanical skills that someone would have not been noticed! I like the what the guy above me does, review college applicants....... Now about that job in the White House I am applying for, I thought this was going to be like college, not a real job .... ????

maw8c

Reaction score
What do I do?

Physician in Fredericksburg, Virginia specializing in allergy, asthma, and immunology. Spent some time as a child in Kenya where my favorite toy was a CSL matchbox car. Funny, I realized that after I bought the car - guess it's been a longstanding love. Have a 2800 CS.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, I guess I should update my story too...

Not much different except that I now work full-time at the VW-Audi wrecking yard (dismantling facility!). The off-road/sand car business that we were starting a couple years ago is just now coming together. The wrecking yard has become my 100% priority lately so I'm not sure how much I'll be doing at the new shop. That's okay, I'd rather just play with CAD designs for the cars anyway. :) My side business has done very well over the last couple years and is now providing enough extra income to allow me to buy a rental house. Not sure how that will go, but I'm sure I'll find out.

A bit of news is that we're considering taking on BMW, Mercedes and maybe Porsche at the yard. Might be cool buying bimmers!

Dan

Malc

Reaction score
Time for my update too.....
Changed jobs in January this year. Now work as the European "arm" of a US company.
I am the European employee!
Now working from home which to be honest is hard work, I still really haven't got the disipline to seperate work and home nailed down yet.
I seem to have "less" time to play in the shed than I used to :roll:

Company is based in Connecticut USA and I end up there quite often - any East coast folk need moral support?
I should be told!
Cheers
Malc

CSL177

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, but have owned several e9s over the last 20+ years.
Currently, (along with the BMWs enumerated in my sig) a couple of '60s Porsches, an old VW deluxe bus and a Mercedes 280sl, too.

I was a graphic and industrial designer, a hired gun for AT&T, IBM, UT, and a bunch of other ISO9000 type companies until burn-out occured in '94.
Remember the Air Force $6000 coffee maker fiasco? To be fair, it DID brew coffee at -6 Gs. 8)
Spent a little time as a development analyst/consultant. Volunteer work for Special Olympics, Adopt-a-Family, etc.
Was chair of the Community Redevelopment Agency for my town for 4 years and got a lot done but then, how hard is it to attract people to small coastal towns?
Currently owner of a small but highly regarded roots/blues/Americana music venue/nightclub. Occasionally play upright bass, particularly bluegrass and jazz.
Mostly, my current job is artist booking, promotion and management.
Trying to get back to normal hours, though... 4 AM bedtimes will wear ya out.

simoniko

Reaction score
PERFECT TOPIC

I am 30 years old , i live in Sofia , BULGARIA !
I am in the transport business , i have a small transport company !
In the past i v been in the cofee and restaurants field , but the trucks and engines are in my blood !
Not married ,but with a beautiful girlfriend since 12 years !
And i have 4 bimmers !
I have technical education , fuel engines !
And i am glad that i am among you !

simoniko

Reaction score
PERFECT TOPIC

I am 30 years old , i live in Sofia , BULGARIA !
I am in the transport business , i have a small transport company !
In the past i v been in the cofee and restaurants field , but the trucks and engines are in my blood !
Not married ,but with a beautiful girlfriend since 12 years !
And i have 4 bimmers !
I have technical education , fuel engines !
And i am glad that i am among you !

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Think I'd chime in here-

Another Engineer (Aero by schooling - Cal Poly, SLO)
Work near Seattle for that 'little' company that makes big things that fly.
Most of my time here has been spent designing fixes for problems that arise during the manufacturing of the planes.

Hands on stuff... Spend most of my time out in the planes crawling in all sorts of odd places designing repairs for (what seems to be) the most creative mechanics in how they figure out ways to goof up- Then again, the engineers also design some interesting configurations we have to 'fix' to make work... Goes both ways.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Think I'd chime in here-

Another Engineer (Aero by schooling - Cal Poly, SLO)
Work near Seattle for that 'little' company that makes big things that fly.
Most of my time here has been spent designing fixes for problems that arise during the manufacturing of the planes.

Hands on stuff... Spend most of my time out in the planes crawling in all sorts of odd places designing repairs for (what seems to be) the most creative mechanics in how they figure out ways to goof up- Then again, the engineers also design some interesting configurations we have to 'fix' to make work... Goes both ways.

shemphill

Reaction score
I am a Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Nevada, Reno and work in the renewable power industry... saving nickels and dimes for the e9...

shemphill

Reaction score
I am a Mechanical Engineering student at the University of Nevada, Reno and work in the renewable power industry... saving nickels and dimes for the e9...

73 E3

Reaction score
I'm a student @ Western New England College (Springfield,MA) studying Criminal Justice & Political Science. I also work part-time for the campus police dept. to fund my E3 restoration.