What would you pay for a pair of high quality reproduction tail light frame/lens

Atavistic

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Stan,
Thanks again - given the likely wait, I have just sourced a near new light from the US so won't progress with this approach for now - thanks again - and keep up the good work.

I hope the 88 is lucky for someone else soon

Best

David

rbtrader

Site Donor
Reaction score
My 1971 2800CS is finally ready to be shipped to me next week, but I know I need some tail lights. Please put me on your list.
Rich Becherer: rich dot becherer at yahoo dot com
Thank for all your work on this project!

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The guy making them has not replied to my emails in months. The last time I heard from him, he told me he was going on a 2 week vacation and then would make and send more. He might yet surprise me but so far, nothing from the last 5 emails

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It would be a pity if this solution disappears. Has anyone successfully removed their existing lenses and fitted them back?
it is very difficult to remove a set very cleanly to allow resetting after rechroming the frames. i have had the best luck with a butane hot knife. you have to keep from creating a jagged edge while cutting the folded / melted lip of the original lenses ... as if it is not smooth, it will telegraph through the lens when reinstalled which doesn't look very good.

that being said, if Stan's guy remains AWOL and doesn't complete the order. i will try to take a set that isn't that good apart.

Rek

Reaction score
I met with Daddywad at the Sharknose meet up at the Ace cafe in North London yesterday. There were quite a few E9's there and it was a lot of fun.

Daddywads solution was to melt off or grind off the overlap of the lens to remove them. After all the work is done to the metalwork, he refitted the lenses and then used a two part epoxy to run a bead between the rear of the lenses and the metal housing. Once I confirm the products, then that's my plan.

His car is quite amazing and one of the best BMW's classics I have ever seen. I will never achieve his standard, but it gave me the spirit to keep trying. Some rather average pictures of some really nice cars, and my sad unfinished project standing out like the black sheep of the family.

The final picture is of a car that is comprised of all speakers and woofers. It's obviously a marketing tool as to have those babies running whilst in the car would reduce your brain to mush. The guy cranked it up whilst we were there and it was registering on the Richter Scale.

Attachments

• IMG_4417 (1).jpg
    IMG_4417 (1).jpg
    458 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_4419 (1).jpg
    IMG_4419 (1).jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_4427 (1).jpg
    IMG_4427 (1).jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4431 (1).jpg
    IMG_4431 (1).jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4432 (1).jpg
    IMG_4432 (1).jpg
    468.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4433 (1).jpg
    IMG_4433 (1).jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_4423 (1).jpg
    IMG_4423 (1).jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 207

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rek,
you will have to grind off 3 sides of the brake light or back up lens, only leaving one side still applicable to get the lens out. i have seen lens that was ground out with a dremel tool and it didn't look that good. perhaps once the lens is out you can smooth the edge and polish it, then it won't look messy when its reinstalled. i would practice on one that has a cracked lens before trying it on a good lens.

one word of caution, the thickness of the new chrome can make the old lens not fit so well - sometimes the new chrome is thicker than the original.

Rek

Reaction score
Rek,
you will have to grind off 3 sides of the brake light or back up lens, only leaving one side still applicable to get the lens out. i have seen lens that was ground out with a dremel tool and it didn't look that good. perhaps once the lens is out you can smooth the edge and polish it, then it won't look messy when its reinstalled. i would practice on one that has a cracked lens before trying it on a good lens.

one word of caution, the thickness of the new chrome can make the old lens not fit so well - sometimes the new chrome is thicker than the original.
Thanks you in advance for the good advice. I have had that issue with chroming before and machining it can ruin the finish around the edges.

br51

Reaction score
Hi Stan, thank you for your reply. I would like to have a set order for my 1973 CSL RHD, please.

Marc-M

Reaction score
It would be a pity if this solution disappears. Has anyone successfully removed their existing lenses and fitted them back?
I have....
To get the lens out I used an air grinder ( like a Dremel) with round end TCT bit in, and ground off three sides - the top and the two sides on each of the of the lens , however the indicator lens you need to grind off the curved bit...- you will see the excess of plastic that holds the lens in..
Lens pop out and you can clean them and set aside for re fit
Frames went off to chrome..

Got them back - put the lens back in and glued them in ( from the back) with a clear epoxy glue - held in place with masking tape until set.... easy job...
ecxlrkx.jpg

All the bits ready for install
ddQsFY0.jpg

You can see where I re glued the lens in, and with the indicator where I had to grind off the plastic to get it out - the clear epoxy glue gives it away - it did turn milky when mixed!
jrxDKSa.jpg

Glued and held in position with masking tape
jWxMza6.jpg

All dry and finished -

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
What is the price if it turns out they do not fit?
so far, most folks have been able to make them fit. If there is an obvious flaw, then you can send it back to me and I will notify the guy who makes them and (so far) he will replace.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
three more sets on their way from OZ
so now I have 4 sets.
two sets have red turn signal lenses
I will reach out to the next people on the list.
The guy said his plan is to ramp up production but I am not holding my breath