Who’s going to Monterey?

3nsahalee

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m here now! Cocktails on Cannery Row tonite, golfing at Spyglass tomorrow.

Attachments

• CA09E491-0C41-446D-B812-BBA92610C40C.jpeg
    CA09E491-0C41-446D-B812-BBA92610C40C.jpeg
    327.6 KB · Views: 104

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It’s now official:

8/9/21 Update: Due to unforeseen circumstances presented to event organizers in the final stages of planning, the eleventh annual Legends Of The Autobahn® West, presented by Michelin, will be relocated from Carmel Valley Village to the Monterey County Fairgrounds.
The all-German marque Concours d’Elegance, which has become a pillar of the Monterey Car Week schedule will proceed at the fairgrounds on the originally scheduled date of Saturday, August 14, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Hosted by the BMW Car Club of America, Audi Club North America, and Mercedes-Benz Club of America, the event will showcase over 300 member-owned cars and feature special displays from manufacturers, sponsors, and vendors.
“It is with great surprise and regret that we announce the move of Legends from Carmel Valley to the Monterey County Fairgrounds,” said Frank Patek, BMW CCA Executive Director. “After months of planning, meticulous adherence to the Monterey County Special Event permitting process, approval from the core agencies such as MFD and CHP—and attaining approval from each—still new hurdles and barriers were being placed in front of us as late as this week. Coincidentally, difficulties with the County began at or nearly the same time as the Carmel Valley Association (residents) launched a campaign to stop Legends from “destroying” the rural character of the valley.”

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Serious congratulations are in order for the organizers for having triumphed over this last minute adversity. I can't even imagine how difficult it must have been to move such an enormous event a week before it was due to happen. Hats off to the CCA and the other two car clubs!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
And more:

“While Legends most certainly would not have destroyed the valley it would have been an economic driver for the restaurants, cafes, shops and tasting rooms in the village. All of which have struggled to remain open and profitable during the pandemic. Equally sad is that CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocates for Children of Monterey County) has been denied a donation of $20,000. (Funding to have been derived via the spectator parking fee)”
“I am grateful and honored to thank the Monterey CVB, the City of Monterey and the team at the Monterey County Fairgrounds for their willingness to welcome Legends and to work with such speed and determination as to make it possible. On behalf of the Audi Club of North America, the Mercedes Benz Club of America and the BMW Car Club of America I hope that all members will join us in our expression of thanks and gratitude.”

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
A week early and a million dollars short...I just returned from Monterey County Sunday evening. We were in Monterey for a long weekend. My wonderful wife, and bright and hard working daughter are not quite so keen on old cars as am I (although my wife has been known to lust after numerous variations of Falcons). That said we did have an opportunity to get some eyes on some of the cars up for auction. Judging by my daughter's reaction to the oldest cars on display, we old-school car nuts are a dying breed. And that's okay by me. Once these cars are all too expensive to drive just stick them all in a museum and plug me in.

I do have a question though: what is that Ferrari at the RM Sotheby's auction that looks like a Pontiac Solstice with about 100 lbs too much air in its chassis/body? Too many Ferraris to be very interesting for my taste. I realize this was just the auction and not the concours or legends, but as stated earlier, I was a bit early for all the fun.

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Which one?
2011 Ferrari SA Aperta

The front quarter view from across the plaza looked remarkably Solstice-like to me. Of course the Solstice was certainly quoting other rather famous roadsters. The plaza was fenced off as they were still bringing the cars in so we couldn't get close to any of them or get very many different angles. Still fun though. Also to be clear, I do like Ferraris - but there are more pretty girls than one as the saying goes.

Steven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Late to this thread, but I’ll be there! Driving my white E30 M3 up from LA tomorrow (in case anyone sees me tearing around). I’ll be at The Quail, Legends, and Concourse. Hoping to get to meet some of you in person!

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Remotely watching and pre gaming for that 7 hour drive in a non AC car lol.
Did someone mention this car?
This is lafngrvy’s 2002 tii with a 300 hp DOHC M12 2 liter Formula 2 racing engine! He reported on his Pre-Reunion Race results on the E9 General Discussion forum. I had the pleasure of talking to him for a few minutes before being called away because our lunch table was ready.