WTB: 1600/2002 - FOUND

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I hope no one minds that I am posting on this forum for a 2002 car. There is a reason for this, as I’ll explain below.

This is an impassioned plea for a certain car that I evidently can’t afford and frankly don’t really need. As many of you know, my e9 project The Raven is going very well, albeit extraordinarily slowly. At my pace, the car may not be on the road again for 5 or more years. This leaves a longing for another vintage BMW to drive on occasion.

I’ve looked at publicly posted cars for a while now on the usual sources (ebay, craigslist, 2002faq, etc). The prices for “nice” cars are expected. But the price for cars that are a LONG way from nice are shocking. I’ve seen very nice cars selling for $15k to $30k. But it still costs 2/3s that for a ratty project car that is not running, driving, or stopping. But I digress. They say the most expensive car you can buy is a cheap car. Knowing the “after purchase costs”, I am still surprised at what the rough cars are selling for (and seemingly quickly).

Evidently the money I have to spend on a car is “below market”. Therefore, I’d love to find a car that is not on the market. Rather, an enthusiast-to-enthusiast transaction that transitions a car to a new caretaker from someone that perhaps has too many irons in their fire.?.

Looking for something that is running, driving, stopping (or that can be made so by me in my garage (Raven’s Nest) after a couple of weekends of work). Patina is expected and welcomed. Rust is okay (and at my price also expected), though I’d prefer not to have to do an immediate resto – so I guess “structurally sound” is a good way to put it. 1600 is okay. 2002 is okay. Beggars shouldn’t be choosers, but for me it has to be a roundie (pre-’74).

Please let me know if you have, know someone that has, or are aware of such a car. Feel free to tell me I’m crazy. I always appreciate constructive criticism.

Thank you,

Stephen

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello all,
I let this news sneak out in another thread, but I wanted to close the loop and introduce you all to the newest member of our family. We found a lovely 1968 1600-2. Yeah, it's a roundie - just what I wanted!!!
20220802-arrival 01.jpg
20220802-arrival 02.jpg

I didn't make this search easy, having high expectations and a below market budget. A couple of forum members reached out with opportunities - really tempting and interesting options. But this car, which ended up being shockingly local to me (just 80 miles down the road), spoke to us. An unmeasurable amount of thanks and appreciation goes out to @CSteve . He cast a wide net with his car club friends. Before you knew it, one of the former owners (3 owners ago) of this car connected me with the second previous owner who connected me with the current owner who was considering selling.

I'd describe this car as remarkably solid. It may be the most solid classic car I've ever owned. I would not at all be surprised if the 77k miles showing on the odometer are 100% correct - really!

I took it to work "downtown".
20220819-first drive to office 1.jpg

We took it out to dinner, parking between some behemoths, and got a parking ticket.
20220819-out for dinner.jpg

Went to visit a forum friend.
20220819-cousins.jpg

But it's not all rainbows and unicorns. The car took a bump to the nose 4 or 5 owners ago. That owner's response was a cheap and dirty, bondo heavy repair. The face of the car is contorted such that the grilles don't fit right. Because of this, I don't think the car went for many drives since - leading to it being thoughtfully preserved in good, rust free shape. Another byproduct of this is the car has a collection of deferred maintenance. Rather, rubber bushings have shrunk, etc. The brakes had been redone about 6k miles ago, but have suffered from lack of use. It needs to be gone through front to back and I think it will be a really fun car. In a few years I'll fix the nose. But for now, my goal is to maintain the heck out of it and drive it on nice days.

Since Raven is hogging the lift, I am resigned to crawling around on the floor to work on it. No worries. The cars are getting to know each other. The e9 is definitely being neglected. I need to finish up the 1600 refresh so I can get back to the business of e9 chassis reconstruction.
20220825-another project.jpg

I am in the "while I'm in there" phase, buying more parts every day and adding to the list of items I'd like to address. Hopefully just a few weeks more and I'll be back to enjoying the drive.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Find out the build date, it is a true 68 as it has no side markers and it has red center tail lights but it should have wide seats with no headrests. If you need help let me know, I had an 11/68 2002. The half-shafts are quite unique as well! Congrats

(Oh, it will handle better on the original 165-13 tires too)

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Parking ticket photo is too funny. Its always nice to find what your looking for through someone who knows someone etc…
Early versions with short bumpers, no side markers and flat parking/turn signal lens are the best looking roundies IMHO.
Chamonix is a great color.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Find out the build date, it is a true 68 as it has no side markers and it has red center tail lights but it should have wide seats with no headrests. If you need help let me know, I had an 11/68 2002. The half-shafts are quite unique as well! Congrats

(Oh, it will handle better on the original 165-13 tires too)
Build date is February 19, 1968. It is definitely a '68. I think the side markers were originally there but have been removed as I can see a blemish in the locations where they were - part of the poor nose fix and respray several owners ago. Or would they never have been there for a US delivery car? The seats have been replaced. The seat cards are dated July 1969. Which is to say, they are full reclining seats with head rests. I like the headrests, and am happy someone made this change. The seats are really wide, too. The center section of the seat back comes over/past the hinge and the two seat backs almost touch. The half shafts were replaced by the PO with a pair of used, newer style units (opaque black boots, no red oil. I have the original half shafts in a box, too. One of the noises I hear seems like a rotational noise from the rear. I hope that the replaced half shafts are in good order, but I wonder if I need to look at them. Will know more after I'm doing replacing a bunch of other things in the rear end.

The tires are 175 70R13 on steel rims dated 2/69. Evidently this '68 has a handful of '69 parts. Jeez, I thought the 175 tires were too skinny. 165s? :D

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Did Wisconsin purposely make the ugliest collector license plate on the planet or was the designer color blind? Yikes.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Such a classy car! My first BMW was a '69, 2002 that shared all the uncluttered lines of this car. I've been watching the FAQ group help with you tips and pointers; I'm sure there are plenty of crossover members here that will also enjoy watching you bring this one back to the street.

Congratulations on a good find,

Ed Z

I bet this car came with the now-unobtanium embossed nose trim and was replaced after the wreck with the smooth version. Shame...

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Did Wisconsin purposely make the ugliest collector license plate on the planet or was the designer color blind? Yikes.
Ah yes, well, that is the "collector plate" which comes with some financial benefits. Could be worse. Could be fuchsia.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Such a classy car! My first BMW was a '69, 2002 that shared all the uncluttered lines of this car. I've been watching the FAQ group help with you tips and pointers; I'm sure there are plenty of crossover members here that will also enjoy watching you bring this one back to the street.

Congratulations on a good find,

Ed Z

I bet this car came with the now-unobtanium embossed nose trim and was replaced after the wreck with the smooth version. Shame...
Thanks Ed. And thanks for your comments on the other forum. I feel that 96 percent of the faq members are unfamiliar with the early cars. Some of the comments I get are not accurate to this '68 car. Rather, the ubiquitous later 02s. But the fact that I am able to realize this must mean that I am learning. o_O And yes, the front emblem is now smooth but the rear is the original.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
The seats are really wide, too. The center section of the seat back comes over/past the hinge and the two seat backs almost touch.
Welcome to the world of putting your seat belt on before you close the door! Well, at least for the 02's with retractable belts. It looks like yours doesn't have belts on the B-pillar. Do you know if the early cars had mounting points?

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Ah, the seat belts. I have to learn about these crazy things. Right now the car has what I believe are referred to as "spaghetti belts". They are Klippan, with no retract function. Rather a fixed length of belt meets at the receiver with an additional loop that ends up half twisted and laying in your lap. The shoulder belt falls off your shoulder and slides down between the seat and door panel, even though it is attached just under the rear window. Do people slip the shoulder belt through the headrest post? Yes, if the door is shut the belt is inevitably captured below the seat back retraction lever. There has to be a better way to buckle up. Amy hates them.

The PO provided boxes of parts and in one of them were a pair of retractable seat belts. You know, the ones with the red button - they remind me of the belts I had in an e30. I am concerned they look too modern for the car.

When you say B-pillar, do you mean that some have the belts attached at the roof between the windows? Yeah, we don't have that.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I feel that 96 percent of the faq members are unfamiliar with the early cars.

This is the internet... where the advice is free and worth every penny. :)

Jokes aside, there are plenty of extremely knowledgeable folks over on FAQ and here on e9Coupe. There are some true die-hard fans of the 1600 cars and can go on about the differences and crossover parts. ...it's those crossover bits that can lead to confusion. Your car has the 1/2 shafts and CV joints from a later car...because the needle bearings in the early units are now NLA. You are also discovering the joys of the two booster brake set up... can be nightmarish to repair with the dwindling sources.

In any case, it seems you are learning quickly and I'm sure the car will give many years of enjoyment. BTW... the nose is now being remade and is available should you decide to repair the front with steel.

Always fun to watch a new project come together. Enjoy the weekend !

Ed Z

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When you say B-pillar, do you mean that some have the belts attached at the roof between the windows?

There will be a welded, captured nut just under the rear door card, look towards the high, front side. Similar to where the e9 sometimes has an attachment point.

Over on FAQ, BlueDevils (Al) sells new seat belt kits. They are very well made and Al is passionate about how he makes them. It's possible he could make a set that look more period correct.

Ed

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There will be a welded, captured nut just under the rear door card, look towards the high, front side. Similar to where the e9 sometimes has an attachment point.

Over on FAQ, BlueDevils (Al) sells new seat belt kits. They are very well made and Al is passionate about how he makes them. It's possible he could make a set that look more period correct.

Ed
There is the captured nut under the rear door card. That is where the current Klippan belt is attached. These are the replacement belts that came with the car. Are these Als? They do look well made.
20220723-belts 1.jpg
20220723-belts 2.jpg
20220723-belts 3.jpg