WTB: 1600/2002 - FOUND

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Are these Als?

Those look to be Al's. I've had them in my '71 for over a decade and they work great. I bought belt set from him for my 2000CS, too.

Those old Klippan belts should probably be replaced just due to age. In reality, these little cars fold up like a beer can in a bad wreck, but the belts can keep the steering wheel from crushing your ribcage completely. In this instance, safety of you and your loved ones should override originality...

Maybe reach out to Al over on FAQ, perhaps he makes a set using the crab claw Klippan buckle?

Ed Z

...no airbags, we die like men

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Those are similar to the belts I put in my E3. I LOVE having retractable belts. The original shoulder belt was attached to the roof but the B-pillar vertical trim panel had an indentation at about shoulder height. I took it off and everything was there to mount the shoulder belt lower, including a pre-made hole in the panel that was covered with vinyl. It's a '69 so who knows, maybe yours has another mounting point.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I will have to look at the B-pillar for a mounting point. Right now the top belt connection point is in the top of the door card (just below the rear vent window). Thanks for all the info. Good things for me to investigate.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I posted pics on the 02faq about installing retractable belts using that upper mount where the fixed belt attached, retractor is hidden on side of seat and under the card, belts came from Al, I can help you do this. Side marker lights weren’t required or added until January 1, 1969. I would love to see a pic of the wider seats, I had heard they were still used when headrests were added in January 1969. Dash tray will be flat with no raised dividers, flasher switch left of cluster in the tray.

Original tires were Michelin X or XAS 165-13 (165/80-13) and the next size up when the XVS debuted was 185/70-13. I drove a 1600 with the skinnier tries and it was just so much more nimble and fun to drive. With your 4.11 rear end you probably won’t be doing much freeway driving!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I posted pics on the 02faq about installing retractable belts using that upper mount where the fixed belt attached, retractor is hidden on side of seat and under the card, belts came from Al, I can help you do this. Side marker lights weren’t required or added until January 1, 1969. I would love to see a pic of the wider seats, I had heard they were still used when headrests were added in January 1969. Dash tray will be flat with no raised dividers, flasher switch left of cluster in the tray.

Original tires were Michelin X or XAS 165-13 (165/80-13) and the next size up when the XVS debuted was 185/70-13. I drove a 1600 with the skinnier tries and it was just so much more nimble and fun to drive. With your 4.11 rear end you probably won’t be doing much freeway driving!
Funny, I just saw your post on faq about the belts. I now am certain that the retractable belts the PO gave me are from Al, and I am thrilled about that.

I believe I have seen the evidence of side markers being shaved off (slight blemishes in the paint in the locations). But not certain of anything. All I know is that I like it without them. I am installing a 3rd brake light (LED strip), though. I'm not completely unreasonable when it comes to safety.

Flasher is in dash tray on left, yes. I will get you some pics of the seats at some point. They look great - until you look closer and see that they are worse for wear. Fine for now!

The speedometer is WAY OFF. 30mph actual reads 36mph on the speedo (20% off). I doubt that is due to tire circumference. The 2-POs ago told me "they all read high". But 20%? Original trans. Original diff. I believe original speedo, but should check the numbers on the back I guess. I need to figure out if the odometer is also 20% off, or if it is just the needle. I was doing about 52mph for a short stint the last week (speedo was reading 62). Wasn't sure I was going to get much more out of it. Again, I have a lot of noises I am sorting out and that certainly affects how fast I want to go. I'll feel better about pushing it once I get through other priorities. But yes, I guess I am not in a hurry anymore.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
After some searching it looks like the early cars did not have any mounting points higher up and the solution is to weld in a nut on the back side of the B-pillar. Probably not that difficult if you're already taking an interior apart, otherwise, not so much.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
After some searching it looks like the early cars did not have any mounting points higher up and the solution is to weld in a nut on the back side of the B-pillar. Probably not that difficult if you're already taking an interior apart, otherwise, not so much.
I don't need much of an excuse to pull out the welder. :cool: I'll take a look and see what it looks like. Thanks for investigating!

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Here are some pics of the seats.
20220826_163035.jpg
20220826_163047.jpg
20220826_163054.jpg

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love 1602's, I'll have to read through thread later, first time seeing if for some reason. 1600's even with the smaller displacement always seemed quick to me, maybe because the gearing is different in the low gears? Seem to remember something like that but I'm probably wrong.

Anyhow, great find, enjoy it, be careful parallel parking like that, $hit that made me nervous just looking at that pic, that is when all my vintage cars get "tapped" or worse. People are idiots, especially women, it seems have never learned the art of parallel parking. No offense to anyone on here I hope, you are excluded from the majority of them, I'm generalizing of course. I'm sure you will even agree. Throw in backing into a spot.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Here's a photo of the b-pillar. I just poked at it and found an oval hole about 4" or 5" from the top. I haven't investigated beyond this superficial probe.
20220826-b pillar indent.jpg

I thought I just saw (yesterday) a photo of someone's 2002 with a B-pillar mounted retractable belt install. But now I can't find it. If I recall correctly, the top mounting was not this high. Maybe I should just write Al at Blue Devils to get his info!

coupedegrace

Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyhow, great find, enjoy it, be careful parallel parking like that, $hit that made me nervous just looking at that pic, that is when all my vintage cars get "tapped" or worse. People are idiots, especially women, it seems have never learned the art of parallel parking. No offense to anyone on here I hope, you are excluded from the majority of them, I'm generalizing of course. I'm sure you will even agree. Throw in backing into a spot.
Makes me really nervous too. The most dangerous scenario being a vehicle that's new enough to have a higher trunk lid or on SUV, but not new enough to have backup cameras or some sort of parking distance warning system. Portland, Oregon is the land of parallel parking. Not quite east coast city levels, but very few parking lots where we usually find ourselves.

My wife runs rings around me in the parallel parking department, and I'm good at it. She also has incredible parking mojo in terms of parking spot location. This is good news/bad news as it means she has to drive to the destination (the mojo only works when she's driving) and I then drive home.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Makes me really nervous too. The most dangerous scenario being a vehicle that's new enough to have a higher trunk lid or on SUV, but not new enough to have backup cameras or some sort of parking distance warning system. Portland, Oregon is the land of parallel parking. Not quite east coast city levels, but very few parking lots where we usually find ourselves.

My wife runs rings around me in the parallel parking department, and I'm good at it. She also has incredible parking mojo in terms of parking spot location. This is good news/bad news as it means she has to drive to the destination (the mojo only works when she's driving) and I then drive home.
I'm in the same boat in CD'A as for as the downtown parking mostly being parallel parking. I often sit outside on a nice day on the sidewalk and watch literally 2-3 cars a day getting tapped or worse; right in front of everyone sitting there and 90% of the drivers just split like it's no big deal (most have been drinking is why). And they know for sure they just hit the car/motorcycle/truck/UTV either backing up or pulling forward, whether coming or going. Sometimes it's like, "are you kidding me?" I wish my wife was like yours as far as the parallel parking goes....ah....I'll leave it at that.

What is even more entertaining (and I don't mean watching people's cars get hit is entertaining AT ALL), but then I move over to the Buoy bar down by the boat ramp on the lake....now that is entertaining. OMG, speaking of people that can't back up, then throw in a trailer w/ or without a boat or jet ski's on it and it is literally endless entertainment. You could do a whole comedy show on just a Saturday or Sunday alone. Usually only damage done is to the dock, the boat, or the car/truck being submerged, not someone else's boat or vehicle, although it does happen more than you think. The best are when they forget to put the plug in and the boat starts taking on water as they go park. Always a good time...I've had to intervene on more than one occasion. Or the boat simply starts drifting away....whoops.

I know, I need to get a life....I'm lost without the Bavaria....LOL.