WTB--Lug studs from an E3/Bavaria that are at least 1 3/4" long

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Need all 20 of them to replace the short studs in my rotors on a 3.0CS. Bought 16" BBS wheels and need longer studs to mount them.

Ajay

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I like your new BBS Mahles Gregg! Gold on blue should look nice! ;)

These may be a bit long.
http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/12x65arppressin.html

Much cheaper - same quality brand:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI-M2DwrOE4AIVVx-tBh1hlg9iEAAYAiAAEgI6uvD_BwE

I used the summit racing ones also. Same thread pitch and longer. Running BBS RS also and the studs are fine. 20180826_132817.jpg

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I used the summit racing ones also. Same thread pitch and longer. Running BBS RS also and the studs are fine. View attachment 58587
Great sources! Note the studs at both sites are the same 265mm (2.60")length. The OEM stud is only 48.5mm long. Where can I buy those drilled & slotted rotors? And where did you get new calipers? I might need them. I also found a company that makes lug studs--Dorman. Don't know yet if they make a 2.60" stud.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Ajay

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great sources! Note the studs at both sites are the same 265mm (2.60")length. The OEM stud is only 48.5mm long. Where can I buy those drilled & slotted rotors? And where did you get new calipers? I might need them. I also found a company that makes lug studs--Dorman. Don't know yet if they make a 2.60" stud.

Drew, Dorman may be the OE manufacturer on the summit racing ones, not 100% sure. The calipers were rebuilt then re zinc plated by Jim at Mesa (he sends them out...jim is great and a real good resource for us in OC), front rotors were Ireland engineering...just add the drill and slotted option when u buy them. Rears, a buddy with an early e24 had a new set of rotors he gave me (must be 272×19) then I had them drilled and slotted.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi Drew,

You are going to need to press the studs out of the hub/stud flange. Up front you need to remove the caliper. Remove the castle but on the axle stub. Pull the rotor/hub/stud flange. Then remove the hex screws that secure the hub/flange to the rotor. Once done you end up with what is seen below. It is a good opportunity to swap the bearings.

You can drill a stud access hole in your rear backing plate to do the tears if you are feeling lazy...

If you want to get the ball rolling up front without tearing your car apart, you can have these for $25. Shipping will be $14. I actually have two sets. Thanks!

3CC3B3A8-8E33-4EA9-AF34-FE5972B5D1ED.jpeg

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think they will look good. Gold on blue looks great also.

Take a look at this thread for a peak at silver with polished lips.

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/s...-staggered-bbs-mahle-w-new-tires-1-000.30103/

If you just want to fit-test the wheels, you can buy a set of nuts like these:

View attachment 59229 View attachment 59230 View attachment 59231
Markos--I did see these wheels and wish I could have bought them last November. The BBS wheels I bought on the BAT auction are the same made in 1983. The ET11 clears the front strut by about a inch. Where did you get the rims polished? I found a guy in Texas that strips the wheels to bare metal and paints the centers and polishes the rims like your silver wheels. But his prices are pretty steep. I'd like to find another source. Thanks, Drew

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks! I bought mine that way. The only bummer is that they were powder coated. You lose all of the fidelity around the part numbers, offset etc with powder. In general, I'm not a fan. I powder coated my Weds however since there is nothing meaningful in the lug area. In general, wheel shops are expensive. You can't get a good polish on your BBS without screwing up the paint. You are looking at about $200 a wheel to refinish them. Honestly I think they look great as-is.

One thing you can do is have the lips machined. You can't do it though if the wheels are out-of-round. These are pics from a buddy in Seattle...

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

IMG_0685.JPG

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think they will look good. Gold on blue looks great also.

Take a look at this thread for a peak at silver with polished lips.

https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/s...-staggered-bbs-mahle-w-new-tires-1-000.30103/

If you just want to fit-test the wheels, you can buy a set of nuts like these:

View attachment 59229 View attachment 59230 View attachment 59231
Markos--I test fitted the BBS on my stock hubs. The studs barely let me screw on the OEM tapered lug nuts. The stud was 16/32" short in the front and 13/32" short in the rear. I measured the depth with a tire tread gage. So I need 1/2" longer studs. Or can I use these extra thread lug nuts you have pictured? Where do I buy them? Could you possibly lend me one nut to see how many turns I can get on my existing studs to make sure this is a safe way to avoid tearing apart the calipers? Thanks--pics here to show you the wheels on the lug studs, and 2 OEM lug nuts screwed down in the tapered holes .

Attachments

• IMG_6972.JPG
    IMG_6972.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6971.JPG
    IMG_6971.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 71