WTB : passenger glove box spring

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Before proceeding with a euro purchase, take a look at the P/N on the site I linked. It should be available stateside and doesn’t point to
the glovebox. I would buy one locally then compare.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Before proceeding with a euro purchase, take a look at the P/N on the site I linked. It should be available stateside and doesn’t point to
the glovebox. I would buy one locally then compare.
Buy one, compare, and if you do not need it yourself, I will buy it from you.

dbower

Reaction score
My local Ace Hardware has a good selection of springs. I picked one the right length (2.5 in) and end configuration, and it works fine. $3. And it is a PITA to install.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is my post on this spring elsewhere on the forum. The spring used on the German E9 CS forum is # 21521101739 for the 2002 clutch release arm. I have ordered one from my local BMW dealer over a week ago. Once I get it,we'll see if it works in the glove compartment. There is no need to pay about $60 shipping to buy a $3 spring from Germany.

The spring is also available from Maximillian or ECS Tuning for about $12 + shipping. Just wait until I get the spring from the dealer. It had to be ordered from Germany and will get here in due time.
Look for my posts on the forum for the rest of the story.

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I also saw a photo that shows the E3 glove box might have this spring on both sides. Is that glove box bigger than the one in a Coupe?

dbower

Reaction score
did it have a SKU # ???

To close the loop on this, here's the SKU on the spring that I bought at Ace Hardware. Brand name is Hillman. Spring #104. May be available elsewhere.

As an aside, when installing the spring on the right-side hinge, I noted that the left hinge has a hole in the arm just like the right arm -- but no attachment point under the dash for a left-side spring. I'm guessing the hinge arms are designed to be used on either side but that coupes actually used a spring only on the right side. Dunno about RHD cars or E3's.

IMG_2554.jpg
IMG_2555.jpg

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
do the E3 glove box doors have a spring on both sides? I'm still waiting for the dealer to call for the spring I ordered.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm going to try both, I have a cassette player in my glove box that wants to make the door come crashing down with its weight so maybe a stiffer spring is in order. I will report back.

I looked at that one and it was much stiffer than #104.