WTB: Trunk Rear Trim Panel

CRJ Driver

Reaction score
Hey Stan...Do you still have the templates/measurements for the rear inner part you show in your pic? I gave tons of that kind of stuff away in a sale a few years ago thiking I was done with E9s...Stupid, I know. Tom

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Let me poke around and see if I can locate it.
I lent it out and may have taken it back. There are 2 or 3 places I need to look.

I found it! With a friend, I will go get it this weekend

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,

if you find it, i would be happy to draw it in Autocad. we could make a digital template and have somebody laser cut a bunch out of masonite. or print them full size for anybody to cut it out of masonite with a jigsaw.

we could also make the pattern for the elephant skin too.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Finding a suitable material from which to build the panels is the biggest challenge. Something strong enough to hold it's shape but thin enough to flex. Tom used 3/8" MDH medium density hardboard. I could not find anything like that out east. A nice stiff cardboard would be beautiful, especially if it could be made waterproof before gluing on the elephant skin. I used Masonite since I could find it thin enough to flex. It was hard to work with and a pain in the ass to cut.

If I could get a nice die-cut cardboard that looked as durable as the original, I think I would remake mine ( assuming I have enough elephant skin left )

So, back to Chris, where could we find cardboard to meet that specification?

BonitaCS

Reaction score
I'm workin on my trunk right now my cover goes up and over the raise bumps where the trunk bumpers hit. In the photo they are cut out like where the latch is, are the cutouts correct?

RJRuiz

Reaction score
Patterns for the cardboard/masonite & elephant skin would be great- couold be done local to the user.

Looking forward to this!

Ray

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Here is mine. it was just sitting in my garage waiting for me to make a new one.

how can i help out?

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0010-3.jpg

RJRuiz

Reaction score
Great links; seems like there area fair number of us who are looking for this panel.

Looking forward to having a great alternative to MT.

Ray

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan

Any auto upholstery shop has the black cardboard, I was charged $300 and the guy said I got a deal. I provided the material. The hard part is steaming the board to fit over the humps on each side I guess, stiff will not work. Once it is installed there is no reason it should ever get wet, just make sure you have a good BMW trunk seal.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My upholsterer just cut, backed and bound new World Uph. trunk carpet, black. Looks terrific. However, it made the rest of trunk look horrrible.
So he took out the three flat panels on the floor of the trunk, the three section storage bin, and the piece that hands over the back of the trunk, flexible, and cleaned and painted them. He also painted the fender skins.

He also painted the flexible "skin" that covers the inner trunk lid that surrounds the toolbox.

Then he reglued and painted the elephant skin along the sides of the fenders, cleaned the white rubber runners and pronounced it good.

It looks like it came from the showroom. The grey shade MAY?? be off a hair or two. But do any of us know what it looked like new?

I did start with solid wood pieces, a help. But for anyone with solid wood this seems like one way to go.

Photos available if you email [email protected]

Steve