WTB: Trunk Rear Trim Panel

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan,

we laid it up against Steve's ... and we are very close. we're going to straighten up the ends slightly on the vertical piece + i have to move the round holes down (to access the license plate panel).

on the top, there are a few minor adjustments - cut the ears back on each end so they don't stick into the recesses as much. and add about 3/8" of curve to the front side of both ends.

one thing we discovered is that Fritz did not drill the holes in the same place on each car. they were quite different.

during the next week, i will be cutting one out of masonite and making one for my car with the final pattern ... and make a real panel, instead of one out of foam core board. i will then wrap it with the vinyl in my car (not elephant skin) ... and check the fit. if that all checks out we can either find somebody to make them, or i can send you a new template.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
just happen to see this here, ...in my opinion it started as a WTB, but it evolves to a projectsandrestorations, maybe...

anyway if it is any help you can chek my solution in a thread in the projects and restorations area

regards

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i did look at the approach you took ... my idea was to make it in 2 pieces rather than 4. so far i've just made it out of foam core board, which is not very stable. next attempt is either going to be masonite or plexi.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have you considered the upholstery grade cardboard that Chris used? Thick enough to be durable, thin enough to cut...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i did look at the approach you took ... my idea was to make it in 2 pieces rather than 4. so far i've just made it out of foam core board, which is not very stable. next attempt is either going to be masonite or plexi.

the material that i am using is exactly the orginal one, the only drawback is that is impossible to find long enough to build it in only two pieces

anyway the joint is absolutely possible because it is a not interferring area, and it will not cause any problem

a positive thing of this material is that you can build permanent bendings that form the two lateral bumps that you need

plus the durability is enhanced by appliying latex or similar product to avoid water

regards

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i will talk to a friend who has a commercial upholstery shop that does work for me in our hotels and see what he can come up with. thanks for the tip

Have you considered the upholstery grade cardboard that Chris used? Thick enough to be durable, thin enough to cut...