WTB: Trunk Rear Trim Panel

David

Site Donor
Reaction score
Barry,
I think what we might need is a trace of that part on 1"x1" grid paper (to get the dimensions right). From there it could be pulled into a CAD program.

BarryG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Nor*Cal - Rocklin, around the corner from Dan
Barry,
I think what we might need is a trace of that part on 1"x1" grid paper (to get the dimensions right). From there it could be pulled into a CAD program.

What ever it takes.But here is Stan pic and he has a cut out for the rear fog light.
mine has no cut out..

DSCN2116.jpg

trunkpanels.jpg

DSCN2320.jpg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i will work with Stan to get it done in autocad - i have adjustable triangles and circle templates, etc. to interpolate the template - i can print it out to check against the template as well. it then can be exported in full size pdf, dwg, dxf or whatever format anybody needs. if anybody knows somebody who can laser cut wood / masonite, we could get it done for who ever wants one (my drawing time will be free / you will pay for the cutout expense). i will check around Atlanta to see who can cut it ... but if anybody knows anybody that can do it - let me know

cheers,
scott

Barry,

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan

Any auto upholstery shop has the black cardboard, I was charged $300 and the guy said I got a deal. I provided the material. The hard part is steaming the board to fit over the humps on each side I guess, stiff will not work. Once it is installed there is no reason it should ever get wet, just make sure you have a good BMW trunk seal.

I wonder if that black cardboard could be purchased in a larger amount? how big a piece did you get for $300? looks like about 1o people want a nicely die cut cardboard!

When I took my original apart, there Amy not have been cardboard where those humps are. The mistake I made was cutting the elephant skin to match the Masonite. If imhad cut the elephant skin straight across, it would have stretched over the humps and looked perfect.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Other maters al choices

I do like the idea of the hard cardboard best but $300 a clip may be a bit pricey.

Tom P used 1/8" x 48" x 48" from Home Depot. SKU 7/18793/81832/4 and it looked great when he completed it, but I could not find it back east. The sheet of 1/8" masonite was cheap and I bought a 4' x 8' sheet.

Scott, if you find a suitable cardboard material I am sure a bunch of us would be interested in a laser cut copy!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Stan

Black cardboard is very cheap, labor is in fitting the upper horizontal piece to mold over the humps. Guess you could use Masonite on vertical and cardboard on horizontal, then attach together with glue/rivets.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the horizontal and vertical pieces can be taped together. I did it this way using that shiny silver tape designed to seal off AC vents. Not your thick traditional duct tape but the thinner stuff. very sticky and very durable.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I sent the template out to Scott (RSPorsche) and he was going to make the template on auto cad. As far as locating upholstery cardboard and having it laser cut....
Not yet.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i just got the template from Stan. it has the cutout for the rear fog ... so i will make 2 separate panel drawings - with + without.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
need some detailed pix of a real rear panel

Guys,

the drawing is going well, i hopefully will be making a test sample out of thin foam core this weekend. but i have a favor to ask. i would like to get some detailed pix of a real panel (in good shape) around the tail light. please remove and lay as flat as possible. if you can put a tape measure nearby that would be helpful.

same would be true for anybody that has one with the rear foglite cut out. i would like actual dimensions from the drivers side tail light and the centerline of the bolt that holds the exterior rear panel.

finally, detail pix of the top panel would also be helpful (the ends).

please email to scottperkins<at>bellsouth<dot>net
thanks

scott

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
preliminary drawing ... take a look and let me know what you think. this is very close to Stan's template

Attachments

• bmw - e9 trunk panel.jpg
    bmw - e9 trunk panel.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 171
  • bmw - e9 trunk panel.pdf
    10 KB · Views: 194

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can send pics of mine and dimensions but I have never seen the cutouts on the top piece above each tail light.

Attachments

• DSCN1562.jpg
    DSCN1562.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN1563.jpg
    DSCN1563.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Chris,

thats one of the reasons i posted the pix - mine doesn't have that either, but Stan's template did. i was wondering if there is something their or a space (with elephant skin over it) for a trunk lid leveler. i've seen a little round pad there. the panel in my car has been redone, so i can't go by it.

a pic of the underside of this piece would be helpful too.
thanks
s

DaveG

Reaction score
The drawings look great but I need a scale to plot them full size......I can make check pieces this weekend as well if I can plot them full size...
DaveG

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

Mine was made from an original panel, no gaps or spaces, that is the tricky area to recreate. My cardboard was steamed to get the right contour there. You can see the depression from the bump stop on the lid in that area.

Chris

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Dave,

PM me your email, and i will send you a full size pdf.
scott

The drawings look great but I need a scale to plot them full size......I can make check pieces this weekend as well if I can plot them full size...
DaveG