Yet another tyre thread - Please bear with me...

dj_efk

Reaction score
Hi all,

Before you all groan and tell me to search - I searched long and hard to see if anyone else has asked this specific question in the last few years!

With a return to the U.K. on the cards after a long time abroad, the time has come to start getting the CS recommissioned and ready for service. The car is currently wearing 9 year Kumho Ecsta summers on the BBS RS005 / RS006 combination wheels it has (i.e. 205/55/16 on 7j fronts, while the tears are 225/50/16 on a 8j rim).

Where I’m in a pretty unique situation is that my car is such an early RHD U.K. example it has manual steering - The steering is therefore very heavy at low speeds with square shouldered tyres and parking n particular is a real chore.

I did toy with the idea of a power steering conversion (whether OEM from a later car or electric) - I put an ad out earlier this year saying I’d be willing to swap my steering box in exchange for a working OEM system but no takers - although it may be simpler to just pick more rounded shoulder tyres and just enjoy the extra feel at the wheel.

My question - For my tyre sizes, do such designs exist at fairly affordable prices of no more than about £100? Otherwise I was thinking of picking very low rolling resistance modern tyres such as the Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance (I can get a set fitted for £300), however whilst it may help a little, I seriously doubt there will be much of an improvement.

Thoughts appreciated. Another option is to revert back to 195/70/14’s on the standard alloys - I do have these still, along with a set of new-old stock hubcaps still in their cardboard wrapping - However I would like to stick with the BBS’ if a solution to the heavy steering problem could be found.

Thanks for reading - I’m open for discussion on all the possible avenues to go down here.

David

Honolulu

Reaction score
Long ago I had a 1969 2500 sedan with very heavy manual steering. I got parts to convert to power steering from a Bavaria, but sold the car and parts before putting it in place.

However, I did at one point replace the tires, and the newer stock size tires made the car a good deal easier to turn and park. It might be considered to delay the power steering install until after you install new tires.

dj_efk

Reaction score
I think where I may land is thus:

If I keep the manual steering then I’m tempted to go back to the original alloys and 195/70/14 tyres with a “round shouldered” design as above.

If I go assisted steering I’d keep the current BBS alloys with 205/55/16 fronts / 225/50/16 rears. I wouldn’t want a completely dead feel to the wheel however so what I’m hearing is I would need some kind of deviation from the standard assisted steering setup (electric?) in order to get the best of both worlds. Lord knows where to turn for that however.

It seems to me that the first option would be cheaper and the car would still look pretty cool with its sensibly lowered suspension - However I do love the current look!

dj_efk

Reaction score
Just bumping this thread - Does anyone have any experience of reduced steering effort as a result of fitting a certain type of tyre?

Otherwise I may go back to the standard alloy wheels and get a classic design tyre as above.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just bumping this thread - Does anyone have any experience of reduced steering effort as a result of fitting a certain type of tyre?

Otherwise I may go back to the standard alloy wheels and get a classic design tyre as above.

Steering will definitely be easier as the tires get skinnier. I have experience with this, but going the opposite direction (wider tires getting more difficult).

A very easy solution would be to swap wheels tires with a local club member for a weekend or longer. I’m sure you will have plenty of takers who are interested in trying out the BBS.

dj_efk

Reaction score
Hey @Markos & @adawil2002

I'm running the original bus wheel - I don't know how big it is exactly but let's just say it's the biggest wheel I've ever had on any classic car! This is definitely not my issue.

The problem I have with swapping wheels with someone is unfortunately that I'm not back in the UK yet, my car is in the workshop I use being recommissioned / having some jobs done in anticipation of my return in the summer next year, so not practical right now.

I guess my options look like this:

Either I stick with the BBS' - 205 / 55 /16s on the front - This means reducing the resistance at the wheel as far as possible with modern tyres - and hence:
  1. Go for the lowest rolling resistance tyre I can find;
  2. Keep the pressure at safe maximum;
  3. Accept that driving the car will keep my meagre biceps in a healthy state around town and enjoy the feel / grip everywhere else;
OR I have the original alloys polished up and refitted with the set of NOS hubcaps I picked up for a steal a few years back, hence:
  1. Recoup perhaps GBP 4-500 from selling the BBS 16" alloys;
  2. Go for one of the classic tyres - (Click for Latest Tyre Test I could find) - Accept that they will cost a fortune as half the cost will be paid for by selling the BBS'!
  3. Enjoy steering that that is still a joy to have but just a smidge lighter around town;
  4. Also accept that despite their very high cost they will be scrapped with at least 2/3 their tread remaining in about 8 years' time

OR convert the car to power steering, lose the feel (OEM setup) or go to the expense of a custom, column-mounted electric motor from a more modern car.

I think I'm actually leaning towards the second option...
Standard Alloys.jpg

But then, the BBS' do look VERY pretty also:

Retro rides show.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@dj_efk,

You may consider an actual school bus wheel. We call the 420mm e9 wheel a 'bus wheel'. Actual school bus wheels are close to 75-80mm and provide much more leverage for wide tires. :D

Your BBS look great. I highly recommend that you return to the UK with your BBS installed. I can only hypothesize that the market for 5x120 BBS wheels is limited in Singapore. We do know that demand is high in the UK, and the market is predictable.

My recommendation would be to swap to power steering. Your manual box is worth some money to some, particularly if it has the tighter ratio. The power steering box has a tighter ratio than both e9 manual boxes. Also, the power steering won't be a selling point in the future, but it also isn't nearly as polarizing as manual steering. I have a line on a RHD power steering box and column. The seller likely has the pump and lines as well - all at a good price in Europe. Shoot me a PM and I will put you in contact. Familiarize yourself with google translate, and I don't mean German. ;)

pat cooks

Reaction score
I do have all, or most of an E9 RHD pas system, would swap or sell, have box, reservoir, bracket, probably the high pressure hose, pulley etc. not looking for a fortune, M25 / M11 junction,

pat cooks

Reaction score
and a RHD CSl with pas and 205/70/14 tyres to test drive if you want, off the road for the winter now as the wan*ers have started gritting in Essex.........................