Reaction score
#2202577's current attire.

ff0cc4d27989b93d11ade60129ae29e4.jpg

-s

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Dale, you HAVE to have a better picture than that... don't you? That's the only picture I've ever seen of your car. I think its been displayed so many times that its starting to fade.

:wink:

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
# 2270013. Manufactured on Sept 1, 1969. Polaris 060 on blue leather. 37K. Clean and original.

shanon

Reaction score
Hey Murray,

What was the actual build date of your coupe? Sept ??
Curious if there is another possible 'birthday' coupe in our group...

-shanon

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Hans said his car was built September 1, but my information from BMW indicated that 2270012 was built at a later date yet has an earlier VIN number.

So...I went back and reread what BMW sent me a few months ago.

BMW 2800 C US # 2270012 was manufactured on September 26, 1969 and delivered on Sept. 26, 1969 to the BMW importer in New York City.

Can anyone spot the problem with this info? :)

I emailed BMW again and they replied-

Well, these are the dates notetd in the delivery book. Knowing this discrepancies for a lot of other cars too, we belive that the noted date of delivery is the date when the car left the storage facilities and went on the transport, not the date it arrived in the US. Unfortunately the people who made these records are not here anymore, so we cannot ask them, though it is likely.

FYI, my car is titled as a '69 as well

jmackro

Reaction score
Murray:

The VIN on our 1970 2800CS is: 2270335. We have owned this coupe since Sept., 1989 - bought it in Berkeley from Clairmont Continental, a small imported car dealer. It currently has about 170,000 miles, of which we have put on about 100K. Mechanically it is pretty much stock, with the exception of a 5 speed. The A/C works, it has a sunroof, and I hope to do at least another 100,000 miles in it.

Here are a couple of photos taken last week - yea, the car is in the middle of a cosmetic restoration, including rust repair, new floors, repaint, interior work, and a lot of little things. Started it in June, and hope to have it done by this June (originally thought it would just take a couple of months - HA!). My goal was to keep it as a driver, but to address the rust and prior accident issues. My concern is that the restoration is suffering from "mission creep".

ade6e090d572ee905064d5da053ecefb.jpg

27f9a621cc8324b2128e70de4bc73dc8.jpg

Great to see the CS folks this morning at Cars & Coffee, Irvine.

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score
sorry, did't read the entire context!

2250131, Delivered to Canada, auto, agave, (now black)

mfg. April 06/72, delivered, May 03/72 to Canada.

It had some life in Canada, ended up in Ohio, Florida, Arkansas, Texas and back to Canada.

k

jjs2800cs

Reaction score
2800CS 1970 Vin 2205990

2205990 240K kilometers

Car bought in Medford Oregon in 1991 by me when I was living in PA, car now in FL. Believe car spent most of its life before me in So. CA. Do
not know when and where it was delivered. How would I find that out and how can I find the manufacture date?

Car was originaly white, PO had it painted silver which is current color. Has 4-speed, power SR and windows. I added a factory AC system from a 72 CS. Runs great and is in great shape.

jjs2800CS

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Re: sorry, did't read the entire context!

BlauMitWeiss said:
2250131, Delivered to Canada, auto, agave, (now black)

mfg. April 06/72, delivered, May 03/72 to Canada.

It had some life in Canada, ended up in Ohio, Florida, Arkansas, Texas and back to Canada.

k

Hey Kevin, mine is 2250136, US Spec. manufactured on April 24th, 1972 and delivered on June 14th, 1972 to the importer BMW Concessionaires G.B. Ltd. in London. Was also automatic then, now 5-speed.

That is about one car built every two working days, then relaxing to contemplate the car for half a day.

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score
We can learn alot about these cars...if we want tooo!

Arde, just the kind of info we should be tracking..How many cars were built in April of 72...were all of the 225xxxx, or were cars for other markets and trim built as well? What colours were used that month.

all very interesting to me.

kevin

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Re: We can learn alot about these cars...if we want tooo!

BlauMitWeiss said:
Arde, just the kind of info we should be tracking..How many cars were built in April of 72...were all of the 225xxxx, or were cars for other markets and trim built as well? What colours were used that month.

all very interesting to me.

kevin

Mine is Verona red with vinyl interior. Do you have pictures of yours somewhere on the net?

Knowledge opens up many other questions though:

- Why was a US spec car delivered to London
- Why did it take much longer to ship to London than to Canada
- Why does the car have the auxiliary electric fan but no A/C
- How could they assemble a car in 2 days and Malc's is taking years to finish

MichaelP

Reaction score
Re: We can learn alot about these cars...if we want tooo!

Arde said:
- Why did it take much longer to ship to London than to Canada

I'd take the shipping info with a grain of salt. According to BMW, my 3.0CS was "manufactured on June 26th, 1973 and delivered on July 4th, 1973 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City."

That's 8 days, which is hard to believe logistically unless the car was flown to NYC. It would have to get from Munich (way inland) by rail to a port (Bremerhaven?), then to the dock in New Jersey and NYC. Doesn't sound possible.

shanon

Reaction score
Interesting stuff to ponder on a rainy, very soggy day here in NorCal...

220xxxx = Euro, 227xxxx = US stick, 228xxxx = US auto

So does 225xxxx = Canadian delivery? (Arde & BlauMitWiess's cars)

Seems like an Excel spreadsheet is in order w/ VINs dates & destination, original and current colors and current locations. How about in chronological order from the build date?

Any Volunteers to be the board's archivist?
Hey Dang, is there a way we can 'upload/post' to a community spreadsheet?

-shanon

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score
Chris..I can explain the Canadian car, but not Adre's.
As with the 2002 or Tii, of which there was a reported 7,400 units delivered, nobody seems to understand that these were NA models which includes Mexico, USA and Canada. So assume that 300 cars went to Mexico, 680-700 cars went to Canada and the USA gets about 6,500 Tii's...I really have no clue of the distribution numbers, just speculation.
But all Tii's sent to canada start with 276 or 278

Same with the 225xxxx number, intended for Canada, Mexico and USA.

But London? England?

This is exactly why we need a REGISTRY!

Rant Over.

kevin