Your 1970 CS

BlauMitWeiss

Reaction score
"..Concorde...built delivered same day"

All, we really may have already learned something here, delivery, seems to imply that a sale was made by BMW Munich to the distribution network, not the physical relocation of the car.

k

Dave L

Reaction score
VIN numbers for 70's

Mine is 2270248. I don't have much history aside from a package of repair receipt that came with the car dating back to the 70's. I have put a lot into her, but she was pretty well worn when I got her.

Dave L

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
1972 Vin #2240321 - I am third owner, 115k miles (Northwest car)
Some pics - Before and in disassembly phase - scary.

17822d1aa9da7e8ec40bb8870f909c70.jpg

f8119120c63922eba012b9091b9343cf.jpg

9cd3a2a5d1d8ac583bde82d2ce5c61fb.jpg

CookeD

Reaction score
Re: We can learn alot about these cars...if we want tooo!

MichaelP said:
Arde said:
- Why did it take much longer to ship to London than to Canada

I'd take the shipping info with a grain of salt. According to BMW, my 3.0CS was "manufactured on June 26th, 1973 and delivered on July 4th, 1973 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City."

That's 8 days, which is hard to believe logistically unless the car was flown to NYC. It would have to get from Munich (way inland) by rail to a port (Bremerhaven?), then to the dock in New Jersey and NYC. Doesn't sound possible.

Hey Michael, here's my shipping information, which is much like the trip to London:

The BMW 3.0 CS US VIN 2240859 was manufactured on June 7th, 1973 and delivered on August 14th, 1973 to the importer BMW Italia S.p.A. in Palazzolo/Verona. The original colour was Fjord metallic, paintcode 037.

Also would be interesting to know how many cars are between your build and mine.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
There has been quite a bit of discussion on the 2002FAQ forum about the "delivery" dates and the consensus is that this is the date the car was turned over the the shipper. At that point, the car became the responsibility of the importer or other seller.

All kinds of things happened along the way to getting the car registered. Years ago, I had 2800CS 2270077. It was a US spec car that was sold to a US Air Force officer whe was stationed in Spain, or so I was told by the PO who sold me the car. Although the VIN suggests the car was an early 70, by the time I bought it, it was titled as a '71.

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
The BMW 3.0 CS Automatic VIN 2231518 was manufactured on November 21st, 1972 and delivered on December 22nd, 1972 to Great Britain, colour Chamonix with blue interiour, paint code 085, now living in New Zealand since about 1975

Now a manual, EFI

Currently undergoing a "Proper" rebuild 75% done, just about to cut the left front fender/guard off. Oh what joys will I find!!
:cry: :o :(

gwittman

Reaction score
I have grown to not trust titles. I bought a 69 Ford Fairlane Cobra that is a 2 dr fastback. It had an error in the VIN and stated it was a 4 dr. It was not difficult to get it straightened out. I just had to take it to DMV and have them do a VIN verification. I don't know how the title got screwed up. It has been a California car all its life after being built in Kansas City.

My 2800CS VIN is below.

taylor2800

Reaction score
I will need to dig up the build/ delivery date on my 2800cs us #96.

When I bought my 1980 635csi, it was titled as a 1996? South Carolina really messed that one up! :roll:

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Question for Bill Riblett and Gary Wittman

Did or do your low VIN number 2800 CS's have red/red or red/amber lail-light lens?

I just ran across 2270026 at my mechanics shop in Costa Mesa--it's in very rough shape--and that is being kind--it would likely even challenge Malc in its present state of disrepair--although the car appears very original and also appears to have been sitting outside for several years-- the rear lens are however intact, in good shape--one of the exterior parts that remain in good condition--and are red/red as are those in the BLUMAX

Dorchester

Reaction score
The BMW 3.0 CS US VIN 2250545 was manufactured on April 1st, 1973 and
delivered on April 19th, 1973 to New York City. The original color was Polaris metallic, paint code 060. Paint changed to Tundra by a PO.
She is waiting patiently for me to finish my house restoration so she can be restored herself

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
Did or do your low VIN number 2800 CS's have red/red or red/amber lail-light lens?

2270012 appears to have had red/red from new, as that is what is still on the passenger side.

The drivers side has experienced a minor hit and has a red/amber lense.

What are the values of each type of lense? One of these days I'd like them to match.

MichaelP

Reaction score
Very early 2800CSs came with red/red lenses, the speculation being that the factory used up the red/red lenses left from 2000C/CS production. So, to keep your coupe original would mean looking for a red/red lens from a 2000C/CS.

Value/cost? Depends who you ask, but a good red/red lens might cost you less than an amber one, as the 2000CS isn't much of a hot property these days. There are far fewer of them out there, though. Both lenses are NLA new, FWIW.

pmansson

Reaction score
Red/red was for the US market only. Cars for the European market have always had orange/amber for the turn signal.

Compare with the later style rear lights of the Jaguar XK 150, where the lightholders got much bigger to hold a separate turn signal light as well as the normal red light with its included brake light. On the US cars the extra light was red, whereas in Europe they had an orange glass.

timt

Reaction score
For those interested (and with appropriate pockets!) Walloth & Nesch still listed both left and right rear lense units in their February price listing - Euros 272 each including seals. NB these will be Euro spec with red and amber (for the turn) lenses; I stress lenses only.

The bulb carrier units appear to be NLA everywhere ... I'm getting my reflectors re-silvered and will report back once completed and seen.