16 inch Alpina wheels - are these copies any good?

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve bought 14” Minilite replicas from them, and I have to say I’m impressed with the quality of the wheels and the service I got from them, fast and friendly answers over email.

I haven’t seen the 16” Alpina replicas IRL, so can’t say anything about them.

Here is their website:
http://www.alfagiuliashop.eu/

Simufly

Reaction score
Yes IMO they are good They are Tüv approved too so they have passed various quality checks. There is a subtle change from genuine Alpinas in that there is a small lip on the front face. Only a purist would notice though!

damienh

Reaction score
I have the genuine ones and I think these look great. They seem to have the correct number of spokes, some repros don't. I always think they look odd even though it isn't obvious why.

E9madada

Site Donor
Reaction score
I bought a staggered set of these earlier in the year, as Simufly says there is a lip that makes them look slightly different from most Alpina's. The quality is very good and the service too.
Well worth 880 euros for a set, nothing else about for that price.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
My unsolicited advice would be to wait on the wheels. I found that after hanging around the forum and learning more about these cars, my affinity for originality has grown over time. You have a lot of work on your CSL that needs to happen before you need rollers, and those replicas aren’t going anywhere. If you decide to stick with 14” Alpinas, they seem to be readily available in Europe.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.
It's right that 14 inch Alpinas are readily available in Europe and Walloth & Nesch even has them new and complete with lug nuts and caps for 2070 €.
Or I could live on porridge for a year and buy these NEW 16 inch alpinas :(
https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s...-bmw-e28-e12-e24-e9-e3-e23/754276809-223-8599

Are you also on the German E9 Coupe forum? You could mention your search criteria there. For both the 7/8x16 Alpina's or even the 7x14 Alpina's.
On the Kleinanzeigen site, quite a few sets come up, in various condition, in both configurations.
Have you got in touch with Gerhard Reiser, he hosts the local forum and can surely guide you to what you are looking for.

Keshav

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
Keshav, I'll PM you.

Are you also on the German E9 Coupe forum? You could mention your search criteria there. For both the 7/8x16 Alpina's or even the 7x14 Alpina's.
On the Kleinanzeigen site, quite a few sets come up, in various condition, in both configurations.
Have you got in touch with Gerhard Reiser, he hosts the local forum and can surely guide you to what you are looking for.

Keshav

NilsH

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks!

From the W&N pictures it looks like their are made by BBS.

So, by your answer I assume that Ronal made the "original" Alpina wheels back in the days. But if I look at old CSL pictures they don't have the 5 extra holes and the eBay ad has. It's really confusing??!
Any other manufacturers over time that have stamped Alpina on them?

These seem a really good buy. Especially as they are made ny Ronal. The current new ones from W+N are not made by Ronal.

WISE9UY

Site Donor
Reaction score
The CoupeKing wheels are a very good replica for not much more. I have originals that I bought from Robert O on this forum and parked my car side by side to my friend who has CoupeKings. We struggled to see a truly discernible difference. Yes there we subtle differences in radius on edges but geez standing above them you would not tell...

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
The CoupeKing wheels are a very good replica for not much more. I have originals that I bought from Robert O on this forum and parked my car side by side to my friend who has CoupeKings. We struggled to see a truly discernible difference. Yes there we subtle differences in radius on edges but geez standing above them you would not tell...

The depth of the spoke is different. The Alpina spoke is deeper than the coupeking spoke which one would thing would make it stronger. Alpinas are a soft alloy which makes them easy to bend and easy to repair. It also makes them less subsceptble to cracking or breaking on impact. I can't speak for the coupeking wheels.

Another note, are the coupeking wheels DOT approved? Most aftermarket made in China wheels are not DOT approved and come with a "not for on road use" label on the box.

Simufly

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks!

So, by your answer I assume that Ronal made the "original" Alpina wheels back in the days. But if I look at old CSL pictures they don't have the 5 extra holes and the eBay ad has. It's really confusing??!
Any other manufacturers over time that have stamped Alpina on them?[/QUOTE

Simufly

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks!

Any other manufacturers over time that have stamped Alpina on them?
Well yes and no!
Talking about 14x7 wheels only.
The very early ones only had 5 mounting bolt holes. The Later ones made by Ronal have an extra 5 smaller holes in the hub. Both these wheels have Alpina in raised lettering cast into the central ( usually black) painted area.
FPS made a very similar spoked wheel in the same dimensions and offset. There are various examples around that have the usual FPS in raised lettering AND Alpina ENGRAVED on the front face. There are various subtle differences between the Ronal and FPS versions. The current ones offered by W&N are similar but not identical to the Ronal version.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
keep in mind the Classic closed cap version is still available brand new .....
16" Alpina Classic C83 Wheels US$1833

Wheel Specifications
  • Genuine Alpina Wheels
  • Finish: Silver "Lacquer 01"
  • 2 Years Manufacturer’s Warranty
  • Mobile Fitting Service Available
  • Caps: centre caps not included. Choose from the accessories section below
  • Available for delivery (Worldwide)
  • Individual Wheels available for damage replacement purposes only
Front Wheels: 7Jx16 ET11 (p/n ALP 3611612)
Rear Wheels: 8Jx16 ET24 (p/n ALP 3611613)

• Free Expert Support & Advice
  • 2 Years Manufacturer’s Warranty
  • Fast Delivery Worldwide
available-tick.png

Usually despatched in 3-5 days