Better with or without chrome wheel arch flares?

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
F37A1D5E-C386-4475-9895-EBA4AC947DD7.jpeg
It’s kind of amusing to see an almost universal disdain for CS chrome arches. After all, they were factory issued for certain e9s and we’re super expensive and a much coveted accessory back in the day, to some, they still are. This is contrary to most of the cheap tacky chrome arch trims that are slapped on to most nondescript domestic sedans.

One negative feature for the early chromed brass arches is that if the are repeatedly bent, they become almost impossible to bent back into its original shape due to its stiffness.

I like them but not live the absolute looks, but if they are already on your coupe, I suggest leave them in place. See... not so bad. :)

G

Reaction score
I prefer without the flares ,
Now how about a photo of your beautiful coupe along with one of those gorgeous E types your company restores !

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I prefer without the flares ,
Now how about a photo of your beautiful coupe along with one of those gorgeous E types your company restores !

I will stage a photo with a few of the E Types for you soon :D

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have to be honest. I have been torn between these for quite some time and I have thoroughly appreciated this post. My inclination was that this was too much unnecessary bling on a car that needed no more bling. But the temptation to add it just because it was stock often overcame me. Well, my first inclination is correct. It looks like bling in all of the pictures and always looks better without. That’s my vote. Having said that some gorgeous cars for sure.

Who is keeping track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think black cars are one color coupe that can take all the bling you can throw at them. even that is within reason. i thought about it, but i will opt for a set of bbs rs - 16" wheels with polished lips and with new grilles + polished belt trims ... and maybe chrome wiper arms, that might be enough bling. but, if i decide to stay with alpina style wheels ... the wheel arches could be an option.

m73

Reaction score
I have them on my coupe & I vote with....mine is a darker blue than yours however.

The rear wheel edge definition looks right with the arch, front not so much-- but it is a package deal.

-Mo

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
How about a pic of your car, Mo. Don’t recall seeing it.

Keshav

Reactions: m73

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don’t want to hijack this post but curious how odd it would be to use the black blades in the hood if I have a black car? Is that what they are called?

I think it would be cool.

Does anyone do that?

Last edited:

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott, not following you on black fans ... do you mean black grilles? if so, if you use black grilles, you probably need to do fender grilles + hood grilles to match. i have seen a pic of a black coupe with black grilles and it looked pretty good.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Scott, not following you on black fans ... do you mean black grilles? if so, if you use black grilles, you probably need to do fender grilles + hood grilles to match. i have seen a pic of a black coupe with black grilles and it looked pretty good.

Not sure what they’re called but those when blades along the hood

Dohn

Reaction score
My black '74 has black side grilles and hood grilles with BBS RSs. I actually have been looking into chrome plating the side grilles, as they just disappear in black on black, and I like the interest they add. I wasn't planning to plate the hood grilles, as they are more of a necessity than a design element, so blending in works fine for them, to me. Just have to find someone who can plate plastic, as the new ones from Wally are not a polished chrome but more of a satin silver.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
My black '74 has black side grilles and hood grilles with BBS RSs. I actually have been looking into chrome plating the side grilles, as they just disappear in black on black, and I like the interest they add. I wasn't planning to plate the hood grilles, as they are more of a necessity than a design element, so blending in works fine for them, to me. Just have to find someone who can plate plastic, as the new ones from Wally are not a polished chrome but more of a satin silver.
i got chrome for side grills and hood grill on black and love it

StephenZ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a without vote... in the 80's I would've loved them, but due to every crappy honda/ricer, whatever car, that slaps their cars full of every pep boys chrome trim bits, it's all I see when I look at the arches (plus I live in LA..land of awful looking auto choices..)... It's like brass/gold colored fixtures in a house...yes, it was popular at one time, but good Lord, not anymore...:)