regularity rally pics

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
What a great series of photos. I have owned an Austin Healey 3000 since the '70s, and many of my favourite photos of that marque in competition include events at Monaco, the Liege Rome Liege rally, and so on. Great photos of mud and snow, spinning wheels, fishtailing, and grins all over the driver and navigator. Thank you for sharing these inspirational photos of a Coupe at work/play! Press on :) Mike

Philippe db

Reaction score
Great pictures Barry, thanks for sharing.

You for sure use your E9 in a different way compared to most of us. I'm afraid of a singel raindrop and in the 3 years I own mine I never washed it with anything but a wet chamois leather cloth, wheels excepted.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
after the rally last saturday again some mud pleasure ... enjoy ! :D

View attachment 40941 View attachment 40942 View attachment 40943

@Belgiumbarry
, very surprised about the way you lift your car
so you use that point and you lift all the way up until the front wheel can be removed ?
essentially you are putting all the stress on the rear seat frame and then on the rear wheel arch that is connected ?
is there any effort going to the rear subframe, and through it to other left part of the car ?
do you use other alternatives ?
thank you for your thoughts

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Indeed deQuincey , i lift it on the rear suspension support untill i can also remove the front wheel.
I think ( hope :)) that this must be possible without harm compared to the way we drive those cars.... on offroads the bumps are harder than this "gentle" push ....

ofcourse i have some reinforcement tubes in there :D

SAM_2416.JPG
SAM_2418.JPG
SAM_2419.JPG

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Indeed deQuincey , i lift it on the rear suspension support untill i can also remove the front wheel.
I think ( hope :)) that this must be possible without harm compared to the way we drive those cars.... on offroads the bumps are harder than this "gentle" push ....

ofcourse i have some reinforcement tubes in there :D

View attachment 41068 View attachment 41070 View attachment 41071

ooohhhh that make the car look very classy, perfect for the Amelia concours ;-)
to my expert eye, the ballpen holder and the emergency glass breaking hammer are indeed period correct !

p.s. i am green with envy for your coupe, not because i will ever transform mine in a similar one, but because my dream was to have a second one too,...:)

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
hahahha, with a concours you don't drive rallys. But on the other hand , that car costs are meanwhile equal to a nice "concours" coupe.... :eek:

Philippe db

Reaction score
Can't but wonder how many E9 today are still used in the way Barry does. Very very few I like to think. If you ever are in need of a co-pilot, you know where to find me.:rolleyes:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
QUOTE="Belgiumbarry, post: 217855, member: 30807"]View attachment 41596 View attachment 41598[/QUOTE]

very powerful looking with all those lights and feels speedy too

IMG_2317.JPG
[

something that i am noticing now, is that you have sort of extra wide fender lips, right ?
i wear 205/70 r14 tyres over ronal alpina rims, and my tyre protrudes from the vertical of the fender lips, while yours is very deeply hiden

Last edited:

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
yes , the fender lips are bend out to use 245/40/17 tires. With ET 13 wheels they just clear the suspension.
Also the rally Intrax suspension doesn't give that much inward movement.
Lights are not for show, we really need them sometimes. ( navigation on unknow roads) , that's 4 x 100W !
Engine is OEM M30 ( '86) with Schrick cam , triple Webers 45 and Schnitzer headers ... nothing exotic .

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
second to last rally i noticed a higher temperature then normal... so i replaced with a new thermostat . Last rally it was good for a hour and again that needle on red... so i stopped and felt the hoses which seemed normal. Think the sensor or gauge ... ordered a sensor at W&N....
24 march again a rally ! can't wait :)

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
new sensor gives indeed correct gauge indication .... all OK ! BUT... i wanted to go for a dynorun this afternoon and had to return... clutch is slipping... new Tilton race clutch , only a few thousand km's.. this is strange. A good OEM clutch can handle it for at least 10 times more.... in normal conditions... mine broke , not slipping error with this one.

So yes, we have to get the gearbox out.... not a big deal :)

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Barry. The pics of the rally look amazing, and once again show how much fun you have with your e9. Fantastic. Looks like you got the clutch in and all's well. Congrats. :D

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
no Stephen, this was last rally... i have new Sachs clutch but can't mount it as i need a new pin on which the release arm pivots. I ordered it on Monday at W&N ( with other parts ) and it's the first time it takes so long ... hope Monday ... as we have rally next Saturday.
For the Tilton race clutch i had to grind that pin down for a fair amount .... so i'm afraid with a standard clutch it would not work perfect. Again some stress next week :D

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
Steve, i ordered the W&N part... i know there are brass ones .
Think it's plastic , but my old plastic one ,after all those rally miles , was still perfect .

I must keep a eye on the weight ... :D:D:D

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i went on (my son's) dyno today... and was pleased with results . We had a dyno at the university here after building the engine but i was missing some torque ... so i build longer inlet tubes and airbox.

Results :
210 HP .. remains the same
295 NM .. alot better than the 240 NM we had with just trumpets on the webers.

Think it is quite good for carbs , about the same figures as a new "injected" 3.5l. :)

SAM_2447.JPG
SAM_2450.JPG